Racism in Shetland

shetlandpeat

Have you witnessed Racism in Shetland?  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Have you witnessed Racism in Shetland?

• Yes
    • No

It disturbs me that there are still folk who have to suffer racism at work. Folk go to work to do a job, provide a service. I would guess that they did not sign up to be abused while they do their jobs.

A recent story in the Times has revealed what some on this forum denied exists. It now seems that the underlying racism denied had now hit the headlines, along with violence against persons or property during the racial abuse.

Although some may say that the aggressor was drunk or did not know what he was doing, it seemed he had some understanding of what he was doing. This, however is not an excuse really.

Mr MacKenzie added the woman had been faced with racist incidents before Haughian’s antics. “This is not the first time she has had to deal with racial abuse. She finds it very difficult to contend with that sort of behaviour.â€

http://www.shetlandtimes.co.uk/2012/07/23/man-faces-possible-jail-sentence-after-threatening-to-burn-down-chip-shop

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That too is worrying. It makes you wonder why it was not picked up on. There is absolutely no need to abuse folk while they are at work. Why should folk suffer such abuse and why folk think they should be able to give it is beyond me.

Just have to keep reporting it.

I would think some may wonder why I started a thread on this. I hope it will show folk that it must not be tolerated. At work or out side of work.

its not being; he faces jail. seems the underlying problem is booze. if the heavy drinking was sorted most of this stupid cruel behavior would stop. whats he charged with could be quite a serious one. putting someone in fear of their life aggravated with the hate issue. bet he thinks he is being picked on.

I would like to remind you of the quote from the Times, how many times has this woman been subject to racist comments and nothing has been done. There is a fear of reprisals, this has always been the case in folk I have met who do not want to make a fuss.

That could be the topic of another thread, how many drunks abuse folk at work with racial, and now homophobic comments. Because they are not drunk makes them no less a person really. We probably all have been guilty of unnecessary behaviour in the past.

The thing I was also trying to get across is someone had suffered this abuse while at work. That is why I commented.

It disturbs me that there are still folk who have to suffer racism at work.

The person at the chip shop seems to have shown some tolerance in the past.

Racism in Shetland? Well no surprise there then!

Being drunk is the bog standard excuse and mitigating circumstances for every crime done in Shetland. Although Asperger Syndrome and Bipolar Disorder is now the new get out of jail free card

Doing the rounds in this country

It is now clear that the game of Monopoly is the only place that any kind evader of Luxury Tax or Rich Banker can be sent to jail.

Can't believe you started a poll thread for this, yes it's appalling, yes racism probably exists in every corner of the UK to some extent, is Shetland any better or worse that any other part of the UK? probably not. There's a hint of 'told you so' in your original post - exactly what are you hoping to achieve with this Daily Mail'esque headline and poll?

I started it because of the underlying racism and I was also able to start it. The thread has also highlighted a longer period of abuse towards the owners of the shop. The two things is racism and abuse in the work place. Again, why should anyone suffer this?

So, why should there not be such a direct question, dunno about Daily Mail, don't read it. It is a straightforward question. Trying to belittle a post by calling it names will not detract from the seriousness of the question asked.

Keeping such subject taboo in the public forum. what is saddening is that the paper has closed any comments.

It has also been mentioned here on this thread he has abused other shop workers. Yet he claims to have a partner not from these shores and works with other nationalities. I remember a prominent member of the NF years ago used to live in Southall. It is hard to use that line nowadays.

The telling will be in the sentence, though locking someone up for a period of time can be more harmful than good. It can affect the rest of the family as much as the individual. The report quotes the drink problem, personally, I would like to see a positive outcome. Help with the drinking and help from the community, all of the community.

You work in retail, or any "public interface" and you will get abuse, racist or otherwise. Been there, done that.

Racism in Shetland is no more of an issue than toonieism, villageism, Yellism, Unstism, yokelism, ad infinitum, very probably less.

BTW the Times only allows comment on selected stories as standard policy, reporting of any and all court cases, whatever they are, are always locked against any comment when posted.

So, too what level of abuse is acceptable?

Why should someone suffer such abuse because they enter the service trade? Why, does the report be less serious because of inter island banter? It is a shame you think it acceptable because of what job is available. Could it hark back to a perceived level of social stature or attainment?

There can be such banter, without the threat of violence and personal intimidation.

My daughter was rather shocked to hear one of her friends describe another as "<uuh uhh anality!! moo! sproot!>", the same friend who'll stick up for my daughter when she's called a "Pakki" doesn't see a problem with the calling the "new" girl "<uuh uhh anality!! moo! sproot!>".

Until you've experienced racism, don't compare it to "toonism" etc, it's all to easy to live life as part of the majority, you can change your accent, where you live, etc but you can't change your skin colour.

It is a shame you think it acceptable because of what job is available. Could it hark back to a perceived level of social stature or attainment?

It is also a shame that you seek to personalise things in this way. Percieved elitism(?) can be just as bad as outright racism.

There can be such banter, without the threat of violence and personal intimidation.

If I had a £1 for every time I have been called a "Welsh B*****d" etc. I wouldn't be bothering replying to you lot... :lol: but, I don't go running to the 'authorities' to complain and, I don't go around 'crying' about it. I just give it right back and get on with my life. I'm not saying that racism is right but, I haven't seen any laws yet that can seriously alter human nature and neither have I seen any laws which can remove words from a dictionary.

Some people are born and raised 'abusive' and are more to be pitied than scorned.