Racism in Shetland

shetlandpeat

Have you witnessed Racism in Shetland?  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Have you witnessed Racism in Shetland?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would say that black as in black fantin is used to strengthen the word rather than having any connection with ethnicity. It's similar to saying you were black affronted by something.

That was what I had thought until reading the earlier post, I assumed the poster knew what they were talking about which is a foolish trap to enter on the web, they may still be though, do we need expert help?

Found an interesting suggestion of the origin of Black Affronted -

BLACK-AFFRONTED: Ashamed, a Scots term still in use today and probably derived from the act of covering your heraldic shield (affronty is a heraldic term) in order not to be recognised. Scots knights did this as they fled from Methven, in order not to be subsequently accused of being supporters of Bruce.

Mucklejoannie is absolutely right in this supposition. "Black" in Old Scots and Doric means the same thing, i.e. "completely", "totally", or even "dead".

It has nothing to do with any racial connotations, I'm afraid.

Dictionary of the Scots Language

http://www.dsl.ac.uk/dsl/index.html

(aka Dictionar o the Scots Leid)

Under the entry for 'black' is

4. adv. (1) Completely, dead.

with example

*e.Per. 1894 ``I. Maclaren'' Bonnie Brier Bush 214:

A've never been sae black affrontit.

Maclaren's book was made into a film in 1921

OED has examples of the adverbial use:

1910 J. Buchan Prester John v. 97, I'll admit the truth to you, Davie. I'm

*black afraid.

1915 ? Salute to Adventurers iii. 47, I had been sore at my imprisonment, I

was *black angry at this manner of release.

I hope this helps.

Sorry, but the whole "black affronted" idea is based on the supposition and lazy work on other websites (not by anyone here!), as "affronted" is not FROM the heraldic term, however they do, likely,share the same origins.

There are two distinct schools of thought on the heraldic term. The first has it as "affronti" or "combatant", where animals are usually rampant and facing each other (confronting each other), while the second school has it as "affronte" (to confront) and is used when the arms bear imagery of an animal facing towards the viewer (such as with the lion sejant erect affronté gules, found in the Royal crest of Scotland.

"Affronted" likely has the same root, i.e. from vulgar Latin.

"af·front

Pronunciation: \ə-ˈfrənt\

Function: transitive verb

Etymology: Middle English afronten, from Anglo-French afrunter to defy, from Vulgar Latin *affrontare, from Latin ad- + front-, frons forehead

Date: 14th century

1 a : to insult especially to the face by behavior or language b : to cause offense to

2 a : to face in defiance : confront b obsolete : to encounter face-to-face

3 : to appear directly before

synonyms see offend"

"Black affronted" is merely a combination of the two terms, previously explained, which appears a charming and uniquely Scottish colloquialism.

I hope this helps.

What is good is that he has accepted what he did was wrong. I hope the result is proactive.

Many folk may be worried about commenting or debating this topic, there will be many reasons for this. I am sure we can guess.

Some may try to destract, have ago at member of the forum rather than comment on the topic. It may be easier to do that.

Well i can tell you this, i have never become a racist when drunk, and either have any of my friends.

How many times can a person get away with it, i think he may need mental help.

That's a good point. And I've probably been hammered and spent more time in 'ethnically owned' establishments than most. Never felt the urge to abuse the staff once.

He doesn't need 'help', he needs robust education, along with all the other gobturdes who spoil nights out for everyone else......

What is good is that he has accepted what he did was wrong. I hope the result is proactive.

Many folk may be worried about commenting or debating this topic, there will be many reasons for this. I am sure we can guess.

Some may try to destract, have ago at member of the forum rather than comment on the topic. It may be easier to do that.

I think last time he did this did he not also accepted what he did was wrong. Obviously learned nothing from last time

Tis the way of the racist, secretive and closeted. They will only act in front of folk they think are the same as them. When I hear racist remarks being made in my presence not only am I annoyed that the remark has been mad, I am a little peeved that the commentator thinks I think like him or her. Education is the best way to fix this.

• 4 weeks later...

I think last time he did this did he not also accepted what he did was wrong. Obviously learned nothing from last time

He's not learned a lot from his latest escapade either.

http://www.shetlandtimes.co.uk/2012/08/22/man-is-granted-bail-again-after-abusing-barmaid-in-lerwick-legion-club

I think all that can be taken from this is there is that there is a certain individual who lives in Shetland with some issues. I don't think his antics can be taken as in any way typical of general behaviour or that it proves racism is any more rife in Shetland than anywhere else.

I think if the Poll had asked if racism was better or worse than anywhere else, it would have a completely different result. Can't remember when I last saw such a blatently leading question.

The question is a simple yes or no.

I think if the Poll had asked if racism was better or worse than anywhere else, it would have a completely different result. Can't remember when I last saw such a blatently leading question.

Did you mean to be a better racist, or is there less racism than say, Kielder.

This option is too open, the question was closed to detract from the vast variations that could be posted. It is simple, not confusing.

As already mentioned, it is up to the individual to decide if the action witnessed was or was not racial. It is the definition of the law.

Carry on complaining about the question though, it is interesting, very interesting.

As for the person mentioned, it is evident that there is something that needs looking into, if there is at any point blame to be apportioned, I would wonder about the role of the RN, too often ex-service personal are "dumped" back into society, many of which end up homeless or in prison, the original incident that made me start this has little to do directly with the question, the question is however a result of a number of actions and reactions.

If you do not want to answer it, don't.

I guess there are many folk who have witnessed such actions, alas will not want to acknowledge it as they may have to do something about it.