Racism in Shetland

shetlandpeat

Have you witnessed Racism in Shetland?  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Have you witnessed Racism in Shetland?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^ I'm sure someone would love to Peat if they could find the time, but we're all far too busy up here with the local branch of the KKK, BNP etc....according to you and your apparent paranoid preconceived conclusions anyway.

I'll hand one thing to you though boyo, you sure have some front coming on here making sweeping generalisations insulting Shetland and Shetlanders, and then expecting any kind of calm, friendly and pleasant discussion/debate to ensue.

Sweeping? Boyo?

Your post has not forwarded this in any way, that you know. Though I am not sure what an area in Cameroon has to do with this.

Education is the way I think this should be addressed, though you have sided with the use of terms purely because you do not think they are a problem.

It is not just myself who has seen racism on the islands. Others have posted here too, though, the first three that post are those who post in many threads with obscure thoughts to provoke.

Alas, I see and read what is available, and take the way folk are addressed here.

Thankfully, Shetlink is not in any way a true representation of the islanders or those with links, or there would be far more variety of posts.

The facts still remain the same.

What however folk have continually missed, which is important is abuse in the workplace. The fact you just stick to the type of abuse and dismiss it is quite telling. Folk here think you should take the rough with the smooth, yet would not accept the rough themselves.

Peat, I might have considered taking a moment out from my busy (alleged by you) "racist" schedule to debate, but you seem to be doing quite well at contradicting yourself all on your own.

....the poll indicated that folk had seen a racist event.

Thankfully, Shetlink is not in any way a true representation of the islanders or those with links....

Still playing "look over there" then...

No worse than your contradictions perhaps.

The truth is in the media, there are acts of racism.

There is no argument about that.

The issues are, it is happening not only in the work place (twice now), but in a social environment. Of course Shetlink is not a true representation, I would think far more have witnessed a racist event, thus increasing the need to address the issue. Nipping the problem in the bud is a phrase that fits, it is best discussed in an open and constructive way than denied. It may then go some way into looking at how it manifests its self.

Can you indicate where I said everyone is a racist who lives on Shetland? Or is that just for dramatic effect to ridicule?

Sweeping? Boyo?

Your post has not forwarded this in any way, that you know. Though I am not sure what an area in Cameroon has to do with this.

If you're not sure nobody is my old cock sparrow.

Education is the way I think this should be addressed, though you have sided with the use of terms purely because you do not think they are a problem.

Don't think anyone said there isn't a problem just that it isn't in any way worse than anywhere else in the UK but you got the tar brush out and filled up the bus for a great big long guilt trip.

It is not just myself who has seen racism on the islands. Others have posted here too, though, the first three that post are those who post in many threads with obscure thoughts to provoke.

You are generally speaking the most prolific contributer to Shetlink are you being obscure and provocational?. BTW I bet you a good portion of those who witnessed racism in Shetland have witnessed it in other areas as well.

Alas, I see and read what is available, and take the way folk are addressed here.

Thankfully, Shetlink is not in any way a true representation of the islanders or those with links, or there would be far more variety of posts.

Spot on the most prolific poster isn't from Shetland, doesn't live there and doesn't speak for those that are.

The facts still remain the same.

What that people can be racist in Shetland, quite correct but people can be racist in Buckingham Palace too and it doesn't make the people who aren't racist bad people by association nor should they be made to feel guilty about the bad behaviour of others.

What however folk have continually missed, which is important is abuse in the workplace. The fact you just stick to the type of abuse and dismiss it is quite telling. Folk here think you should take the rough with the smooth, yet would not accept the rough themselves.

Nobody is dismissing it and I don't think anyone has condoned it. You just don't like the fact that people aren't blindly adopting your pious stance.

interesting event happened to a friends granddaughter yesterday at her school in stockport.

in her primary assembly her head teacher wanted them all to perform the prayer to mecca. i suspect to teach about ramadan. however her and 12 others refused as they had other beliefs. they were banned from taking part in out of school events for the remainder of term and made to apologise for refusing.

this kind of thing does not help build bridges and unite communities. plus breaching the girls equalities act rights and the education act of 1948.

now peat keeps telling us we are evil racists. why because some guy drunk has a pop at another guy who just happens to be black. Apart from it being a big mistake on his part has he got hammered whats the underlying problem with all these reports. its not an in built racist attitude its an ABUSE of drink. they are all heavy drinkers maybe that needs reviewing. maybe the pubs and clubs should stop serving them earlier.

did the victim of this racist event get done for the over reaction that he did. ive seen reports of white on white events were the victim is punished harder than the idiot who started it.

everywhere has racist problems however shetland is no worse than anywhere else.

Shetlandpeat

As you ask, yes.

Part of my life has been taken up by building bridges throughout communities here.

The first sentence in your reply is indicative of an underlying justified racist attitude, you identify communities in the plural and identify a requirement to build bridges.

Why are separate “Communities†acceptable, surly there should be one community, the group of people who live in a given place.

“Building bridges†is reinforcing this by establishing set points of contact rather than integration of all folk into the one community.

This is a underlying racism that seems to emanate from the educated liberal elite (for the sake of giving a title for a wide group of people) which has halted the integration of folk into our community by highlighting the divisions and entrenching them in “celebrations of cultureâ€

A British person moving to say, Spain, who refuses to learn the language and lives in a closed community of likewise minded people and who develops their own language newspapers and shops with foodstuffs from the "home country" are quite rightly denounced as xenophobic and unwilling to integrate.

Why then when folk move to our fair land is the opposite true, is it not the role of the person moving to our land to integrate with us? While we need to maintain a sense of understanding and acceptance it should not be unlimited.

The folk who join our communities should do just that, join our communities, not set up their own. There should be no room for folk who apologise for anything else.

I think the underlying problem was illustrated last year when a English footballer got in trouble for calling another player a black c**t. On the pitch it was not a problem but as it was televised lip readers complained. My point, the player was black, that is a fact, but it was this, that the issue was raised about, not the abusive term that followed.

We as a nation are slowly disappearing up our own backside as we try to appease all these “communities†and the loudest noise comes from the largely white, largely British, hand ringers.

Before the tirade of abuse:

I was spent most of my childhood in SE England, I count amongst my friends folk of all different hues from white to Blue Black and everything in-between.

Those guys by today’s standards experienced daily racism as they in turn where racist to us. We continued to live, to play and be friends, The differences between us was the colour of skin this was treated in the same way as colour of hair, we were intergrated. We belonged to the same comunity, If we had been identified as seperate and had to celebrate each others cultures it would of enphasised the differences and things might have been diffrent.

-Rant Over-

interesting event happened to a friends granddaughter yesterday at her school in stockport.

in her primary assembly her head teacher wanted them all to perform the prayer to mecca. i suspect to teach about ramadan. however her and 12 others refused as they had other beliefs. they were banned from taking part in out of school events for the remainder of term and made to apologise for refusing.

this kind of thing does not help build bridges and unite communities. plus breaching the girls equalities act rights and the education act of 1948.

quote]

Thats way out of order , in fact I would pull any child of mine out of a school with that attitude.

now peat keeps telling us we are evil racists. why because some guy drunk has a pop at another guy who just happens to be black. Apart from it being a big mistake on his part has he got hammered whats the underlying problem with all these reports. its not an in built racist attitude its an ABUSE of drink. they are all heavy drinkers maybe that needs reviewing. maybe the pubs and clubs should stop serving them earlier.

did the victim of this racist event get done for the over reaction that he did. ive seen reports of white on white events were the victim is punished harder than the idiot who started it.

everywhere has racist problems however shetland is no worse than anywhere else.

That sounds terrible paulb, I would not want any children having anything to do with religion let alone being forced to participate in it unless learn about in in RE etc. Especially that religion due to the way it treats certain groups and its intolerance.

I agree on the racisism bit, it is only a few individuals who can not hold their drink getting wasted and mouthing off, just using that word between swear words. A few idiot individuals does not tar a whole community.

• 2 weeks later...

Yet more racism, now on here.

The terms used in this thread have been tested in law and have been judged as racist.

http://www.shetlink.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17288&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=75

As for the bollx posted by viblir,

for a start, communities are areas that contain people, there are many communities dotted around, a town is a community. It is the differing communities that bridges have been built. Some places have a diverse mix of folk, some do not. By engaging with groups to enlighten folk about other folk is not racist as you say. You have based you whole argument against my post but not understanding it. From the initial sentence, which you made the assumption that communities were, for the sake of your argument, one of race. Which was totally incorrect, this then removes any justification for the rest of your post. We spent much of our time building bridges in communities on the larger dimension to educate folk about other folk, to create some understanding.

Paul, I am not saying all Shetlanders are Racist, I am however of the understanding that, as in any community there are the ignorant.

*yawn*

Yay!

You are aware that I locked that thread as there was utter trütelation in there, no?

Remember the way of the 'forum etiquette' young shetlandpeat? Gonna have to ask you to self moderate yourself m8ty.

"On the road again, like a band of gypsies we head down the highway"

Zenophobia?, racism?, no joost a fine tune

political brain washing correctness..sometimes creates more of a wedge atween da breeds.... Hold on that might be teen da wrang y?

BOLLOX a derogative term and insulting to many self respecting testicles!

I have lived & worked alongside all people from every corner of this planet and also consider many of them friends, I don't see any difference.

Treat aabody as you hope to get treated yourself.

I can also still enjoy watching a re-run of blazing saddles from time to time.

On other news, some woman has reproduced this week . Apparently this new family receive extensive benefits & child allowance , and the husband claims to be employed regularly on national television and in the newspapers.

I have heard that other people have been charged with benefit fraud for exactly the same thing!

Aint life grand! Good night .