Scalloway Open Air

JAStewart

Any casualties?

I feel a bit of a casualty today and i didn't even make to the park dance later on, though the pairty i was at instead possibly rivalled it in noise. Hence, i heard none of the live music, anybody like to fill in the blanks? Music? Attendance? Longevity? Average age? Gossip? :wink:

How dare they come with a big inflatable slide for bairns only :(

It was suggested to me da streen that a lot more could be done with the event, a rival to T in the park even, any takers?

I think they should at least bring back the "greasy pole" of years gone by, it was a highlight when i was a bairn.

It occured to me that some sort of bungy from the trondra brig might be worth a try, perhaps i'm getting carried away. :P

It was a good and very l-o-n-g day anyroads.

Oh yeah, was there no fireworks this year? We stood ootside at midnight and saw nothing, so if there were any they must have been pretty small. :(

Njugle wrote:

a rival to T in the park even

Twartree year ago da Scalloway Fitba Club did Tins in the Park an mair recently da Fraser Park demselves organised several bands on wan night. Da problem wi da following year was dat Jeff Ampleford organised a big gig aboot da sam time an it was difficult tae get da bands. Nae raison why it soudna happen again.

no fireworks this year?

Da law changed recently makkin it illegal for fireworks displaye efter 11pm. Also I donna tink da Committe could affford it dis year.

Any casualties?

I feel a bit of a casualty today and i didn't even make to the park dance later on, though the pairty i was at instead possibly rivalled it in noise. Hence, i heard none of the live music, anybody like to fill in the blanks? Music? Attendance? Longevity? Average age? Gossip? :wink:

How dare they come with a big inflatable slide for bairns only :(

It was suggested to me da streen that a lot more could be done with the event, a rival to T in the park even, any takers?

I think they should at least bring back the "greasy pole" of years gone by, it was a highlight when i was a bairn.

It occured to me that some sort of bungy from the trondra brig might be worth a try, perhaps i'm getting carried away. :P

It was a good and very l-o-n-g day anyroads.

Oh yeah, was there no fireworks this year? We stood ootside at midnight and saw nothing, so if there were any they must have been pretty small. :(

Music?

Well the band was good even with a stand in drummer. Can't give a fair appraisal of the DJ afterwards as I *HATE* disco.

[rant] Have you got a smiley for this?

No offense to John Henry (or any other DJ) but, why anyone with almost zero musical ability is allowed to headline any event ahead of one of Shetland's best young bands amazes me.

Where were the other bands?

Was there any attempt to get them?

Was it all done on the cheap?

I was there with the Hall's PA and was not to happy to discover (only last week) that the headline act was a DJ. Like I said, nothing personal but, if I had been told early enough, I would have been in a pub instead.

[/rant]

Casualties?

Apart from the usual I heard that one young lass had broken a toe or something.

Attendance?

About average I think. There were a lot more on the street than in the park. (I was told that they wanted band's not DJ's) Don't know if they all went into the park or not so, difficult to tell.

Longevity?

Don't know what you mean.

Average Age?

About 14 I reckon..

Gossip?

Nothing to report.

Looked into the park a few times through the day and thought the slide was a great idea. How about an adult version where you slide into a skip full of lager or something..

I agree that a lot more could be done with the Gala but, it's been in a steady decline for a few years now. Usual problems..lack of volunteers willing to assist etc.

Yesterday's (Saturday) events seemed to consist of a beer tent and a few football matches. OK, there was maybe some other stuff going on as well but, it was a long way short of earlier years.

Njugle wrote:
a rival to T in the park even

Twartree year ago da Scalloway Fitba Club did Tins in the Park an mair recently da Fraser Park demselves organised several bands on wan night. Da problem wi da following year was dat Jeff Ampleford organised a big gig aboot da sam time an it was difficult tae get da bands. Nae raison why it soudna happen again.

Da law changed recently makkin it illegal for fireworks displaye efter 11pm. Also I donna tink da Committe could affford it dis year.

I don't think that Tins In The Park will ever happen again but, I organised the fraser Parks own event and, apart from the genrators running out of fuel at 11:45pm, it was a great success.

The following year, it failed because Jeff (and also Whitedale Football Club) organised similar events that took the only available dates. I would have gone ahead against them but it was impossible to get sufficient bands, PA, stewards or the Red Cross (very necessary) etc.

Don't know if the park will organise anything similar in the future as I'm no longer involved.

The park was empty when we played, then when i went to the toilet - the street was pinned. It was fairly sh*te.

Did you make it? :D

Picking up on the common thread here. It was not a very good event to be at. There just wasn't the atmosphere that you normally get. Not enough going on to keep people in the park etc.

The park was empty when we played, then when i went to the toilet - the street was pinned. It was fairly sh*te.

Did you make it? :D

It did take a while to get there and back.

Yeah I remember one time Moder Dy played - it wasnt the gala but they had a scoffold stage - it was bloody amazing!

There was a big mix of people there that time as well but last weekend just seemed to be young ones mainly.

Yeah I remember one time Moder Dy played - it wasnt the gala but they had a scoffold stage - it was bloody amazing!

There was a big mix of people there that time as well but last weekend just seemed to be young ones mainly.

That was the Fraser Park's own open air.