anyone recommend a good, kind DR in Lerwick

Good luck with that one like, here in shetland you don't get to choose your practice as such, if your having problems in Bixter you can move to Walls and vice-versa, but tbh both lead doctors are very similar. I must admit when feeling very ill I have told both exactly what I felt about their manner but they are very good doctors and it is great to be able to see a doctor that day instead of going through the hassle in Lerwick. If you wish to change to a Lerwick practice I believe you'll have to do it through the health board. I know folk in Weisdale who have been refused the option of moving to the closer practice in Bixter, despite the being public transport making the surgery accessible.

Guest CyprusPluto

The practice you have to use is related to your home address. However, I am aware that this is likely to change in future, although in Shetland and other small communities this may represent some problems.

I do agree with the OP that we should be able to choose if not happy with the present doctor/practice. The NHS constantly sells itself on patient choice; there is no "unless you live in Shetland" tagged on the end.

Thank you for taking the time to respond.

I don't really know what to do - I find both Doctors at my surgery very unkind and unhelpful. If I'm unable to go to Lerwick I suppose I have no choice but to stay where I am. It's a dreadful situation really - NHS Shetland need to be more flexible and understanding about these sorts of situations. :(

Thank you for taking the time to respond.

I don't really know what to do - I find both Doctors at my surgery very unkind and unhelpful. If I'm unable to go to Lerwick I suppose I have no choice but to stay where I am. It's a dreadful situation really - NHS Shetland need to be more flexible and understanding about these sorts of situations. :(

Have you actually told your Dr's what your problem with them is? They are but human and may not recognise that their attitude/behaviour irks you. If you are open and honest with them then they most likely will reciprocate and offer you a positive alternative.

It's not about 'customer requirements' not being met in my case. It's about the basics not being met: an appalling bedside manner, lack of compassion and lack of patient support. I imagine this could can happen anywhere where you have a captive audience - which is the case if you live in Shetland - there aren't many here options in terms of healthcare and no effective place to take your complaints / issues to.

When you're unwell, particularly if you have a serious illness or are elderly, you are vulnerable and the last thing you need is a Dr who has a poor attitude.

It's difficult to raise issues with Drs directly/face to face because you/your family may have to continue seeing them. Good to have this space though to at least acknowledge the problem and have a discussion. Perhaps the powers that be (NHS Shetland!) might take note?! I'm not holding my breath though...

It used to be that the Local Health Council would support patients with a complaint against the NHS. However their advice is to take complaints up with the NHS board concerned direct. They do suggest getting the Citizens Advice Bureau to help you.

http://www.communitydirectory.shetland.gov.uk/shetland-islands-citizens-advice-bureau-i325.html

Shetland Advocacy may also be able to help

http://www.communitydirectory.shetland.gov.uk/advocacy-shetland-i865.html

Advice on making a complaint to the NHS

http://www.hris.org.uk/index.aspx?o=1025

Guest CyprusPluto

The relationship with your GP is second only to that of your family. To have a good and personable relationship is absolutely vital or it will not work and the patients health is put at risk.

It is clear not all people will get on with everyone, that is a normal fact of life, whether they be family, neighbours, work colleagues or your GP. There should be a choice of GP as there is in most of the rest of the country. If your local GP is not someone you have an affinity with, NHS patient choice should and does allow members of the public to choose a different one that may mean more travel. This option should not exclude Shetland residents simply because it is a rural community. It is not a case of a different GP for each patient, but the relationship needs to work even for those on the outer islands.

It's not about 'customer requirements' not being met in my case. It's about the basics not being met: an appalling bedside manner, lack of compassion and lack of patient support. I imagine this could can happen anywhere where you have a captive audience - which is the case if you live in Shetland - there aren't many here options in terms of healthcare and no effective place to take your complaints / issues to.

When you're unwell, particularly if you have a serious illness or are elderly, you are vulnerable and the last thing you need is a Dr who has a poor attitude.

It's difficult to raise issues with Drs directly/face to face because you/your family may have to continue seeing them. Good to have this space though to at least acknowledge the problem and have a discussion. Perhaps the powers that be (NHS Shetland!) might take note?! I'm not holding my breath though...

I wouldn't hold my breath either if I were you. I'm sure the NHS and most practice staff have better thing to do than answer every online whine. There is a system is in place to register any complaints about standards of service - yet it would appear that you haven't even bothered to go down that road. Why's that then? You've made the effort to complain on here?

You've made a point of near as dammit personally accusing a GP on a gossip forum. You could easily have asked for a recommend without naming the practice...but, no......why's that then?

So pardon me if I take your noisy grinding online axe with a pinch of salt.

Run along, now.

Guest CyprusPluto
Another helpful post from a caring sharing Shetlinker.

My thoughts exactly. I have noticed and received feedback that some of the 'help' received on Shetlink from some posters recently have been unhelpful, sarcastic or just downright rude.

If people have an opposing opinion, okay, express it, but in an articulate way. If you can't be of help and are unable to remain polite, it's best not to say anything at all.

Guest CyprusPluto
I'm amazed that there are problems with Westside GPs. I've found them to be kind, courteous, empathic and accomodating. And also damn good at their jobs.

Shetland sometimes doesn't know what side its bread is buttered on.

I'm sure they are courteous and very good at their jobs. This sounds like a simple clash of personalties, but unfortunately the system adopted by NHS Shetland does not cater for such and I'm sure lutrawest is not the only one in Shetland in this unfortunate position