How do you get to Shetland if you have no photo ID?

Guest posiedon

Guest posiedon

How do you get to Shetland if you have no photo ID? My brother who has been here four times before, would like to visit later this month from England but he neither has an up to date passport nor a driving license, or any other form of photo ID.

This is a pet peeve of mine (the fact that I cant travel within my own country without photo ID)
Any advice appreciated.
Thanks.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well Northlink they say ""If I am unable to provide one of the suitable ID's listed above, will I be refused travel?

You may be refused travel. While all passengers will be asked to provide identification, NorthLink’s local service managers will have authorisation to accept some lower form of ID, if they consider that to be appropriate, in order to ease the implementation period. This could include a bank card or similar. "" Worthwhile phoning them and maybe talking to you MP/MSP if this is an issue of human rights.

Yes, it is a nuisance having to produce photo ID for everything these days.

I know -we could all get an RFID Microchip inserted under the skin, like dogs, then we could travel about freely in our own country, and abroad, and we wouldn't need to worry about having to carry wallets, or handbags or losing a card, or having a card stolen. Be so convenient. They could add our Store Loyalty Card details on, and our Bank and Credit card accounts, And they could track missing children too!

Problem - Reaction - Solution ;)

How do you get to Shetland if you have no photo ID? My brother who has been here four times before, would like to visit later this month from England but he neither has an up to date passport nor a driving license, or any other form of photo ID.

This is a pet peeve of mine (the fact that I cant travel within my own country without photo ID)

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks.

If he has a photo of himself in Shetland from previous visits should do i.e. a snap of himself with the market cross in the background should be proof enough ;) Sad f*c*ing country now isn't it?

Work & Voluntary Work photo IDs are accepted.

If you fly from Heathrow to Sumburgh 1st flight with BA - NO ID IS REQUIRED which I find very galling, in fact BA do not need photo ID for any domestic flights and once your through security that's you checked right through.

I have travelled without ID on Boat, not usually a problem though they can be rude in Aberdeen about it

This is recognised by most people (but despite what it says not proof of age) http://www.citizencard.com/visa-prepaid-or-classic-.html and really quick turn around

well i find it pointless considering you can go to the ferry terminal with a couple of forms of id (ie bank card and letter) along with a photo, and they will put it on your islander card. so why wouldn't it be acceptable just to produce these forms of id. after all, that is how you got the id in the first place! odd! :lol:

Yes, it is a nuisance having to produce photo ID for everything these days.

I know -we could all get an RFID Microchip inserted under the skin, like dogs, then we could travel about freely in our own country, and abroad, and we wouldn't need to worry about having to carry wallets, or handbags or losing a card, or having a card stolen. Be so convenient. They could add our Store Loyalty Card details on, and our Bank and Credit card accounts, And they could track missing children too!

Problem - Reaction - Solution ;)

This is written in sarcasm, I do hope. :?

I can't say 100%, as things may have changed now, but as with internal flights, an expired password or licence was still be accepted as valid ID (within reason obviously, not an adult using the passport they had as a child etc) by Northlink.

Has someone been using predictive text. :wink:

I can't say 100%, as things may have changed now, but as with internal flights, an expired password or licence was still be accepted as valid ID (within reason obviously, not an adult using the passport they had as a child etc) by Northlink.

To quote Dara Ó Briain, "even if my passport is out of date, I'm still him."