How do you get to Shetland if you have no photo ID?

Guest posiedon

I think the variation is experiences says it all about the subject of ID checking etc.

Personally I'm all for ID being presented, after all why not?

If anything, I'd be delighted if we could have one ID card which served as driving licence, passport, bank card, bus pass or whatever, or even better a chip somewhere so we couldn't lose it without losing a limb :D

Another Northlink observation/question - has anyone travelling in a group (in our case a family of 3) ever had anyone's ID checked except the person picking up the boarding passes?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To quote Spinner: "I'd be delighted if we could have one ID card which served as driving licence, passport, bank card, bus pass or whatever, or even better a chip somewhere so we couldn't lose it without losing a limb"

Don't worry- it's on its way... and we won't have any say in the matter... As I said, Problem-Reaction-Solution - the people will welcome it in with open arms :(

Clubbers in Spain, and now some places in the UK are voluntarily having themselves microchipped so they can gain access to the Club and buy drinks without the bother of having to carry ID, cash, credit cards etc.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/3697940.stm

Interesting IBM commercial - only 1 min long http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eob532iEpqk

Is the microchip the mark of the beast? "http://www.wired.com/science/discoveries/news/2006/06/70308

{Ghostrider - in answer to your question - yes}

Clubbers in Spain, and now some places in the UK are voluntarily having themselves microchipped so they can gain access to the Club and buy drinks without the bother of having to carry ID, cash, credit cards etc.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/3697940.stm

I like that, and the IBM commercial too. Ever since the invention of the wheel the point of technology is to make life easier, for everyone.

Getting back to the OP - wouldn't it be great just not to have to ask this question, knowing your relative had paid (or whatever, that's not for me to speculate :) ) and you just have to turn up at Northlink, be scanned for the implanted chip, and wander aboard..

ur not going very far from now then? as without some sort of id which is the norm in flying and saling from shetland, unless you get a perrie row boat!

Its been 13 1/2 years since I last saw the land of tartan, bagpipes and haggis, and I'm in no rush to stop that number growing, given the state the place was in back then.

all sign of the times, as all this componeys are private and they have the right to take in any conditions to the sale of tickets their not much you can do about it.

You can simply refuse to purchase from them. If it really were only private companies involved, I wouldn't mind so much as you know pretty well what to expect them to "use" data for, but its not. Until now the boat has been run wholly by Big Brother, and even yet they're in charge, having hired someone to run it for them, and they're writing off the costs incurred by any island resident's discount claims. With air, they're also writing off the island resident discount costs.

If there was a legal obligation to destroy manifests and any other records containing personally identifying information within a short set period after a trip was made, and it could be trusted that it was being done, it would be bad enough, but I've never heard of any such thing, and as there's a government involved I wouldn't expect them to play ball.

Knowing what governments are like, unless someone can tell me different, Salmond & Co are sitting on drives listing who, when, to/from where and whatever bank account(s), credit card(s) they used to pay with, for ever person that's traipsed between Aberdeen and here for years.

In the days of all written records, at least you could rely on the fact it took many man hours to locate and collate much of anything, and a government only bothered doing it if it was really worth the investment. These days with everything chipped, it is as quick and simple as link the appropriate systems, write the necessary software, and click a few keys to create a significant profile of any individual's travelling habits and financial background if they so choose for any reason whatsoever.

Personally I don't believe that's information that is any business of a government, and I'm not going to be helping them create it, and its made doubly wrong by the fact that we're being discriminated against and forced in to allowing them to have that opportunity, when almost all of the rest of the population aren't, just because we live offshore.

it's down to so much fraud being commited (worledwide) and i for one don't mind at all

I'm not seeing tagging and bagging the few thousand that choose to sail or fly in/out of rock mid ocean with circa 22K folk on it, as doing much if anything to defeat global fraud.

Guest posiedon
I guess the OP is enjoying this post. No word of thanks, or comment. I guess there were never any intentions of doing so.
Pillock!

So sorry shetlandprat, I've been busy trying to get my brother permission to travel within the UK without a passport, he's due to travel next Saturday.

I stated in the OP that he has NO photo ID, most of the suggestions have been for some form of photo ID other than a passport or driving license, he doesn't have ANY, Understand?

I wrote to Tavish Scott asking him if it was necessary for photo ID to travel from say...... Inverness to Ayr, I didn't get a satisfactory reply.

Dear Alan,

Many thanks for sending through your contact details. I refer to your complaint regarding the need for photo ID for travel within the UK, but more specifically in the case of your brother who wishes to visit Shetland from England but doesn’t have a valid UK passport nor a driving licence. (sic)

Northlink Ferries implemented their requirement for photo ID on 1st May 2008 and the main reason behind its introduction was one of security but also to bring Northlink into line with photo ID policies being operated by other major public transport providers.

Whilst I appreciate your views on the requirement to have photo ID for travel within the UK, unfortunately security is an issue for all transport operators these days, including Serco Northlink Ferries and there is no likelihood of this changing. For most travellers,(sic)[/b] having to provide some form of photo ID even when travelling (sic) within the UK has become a necessary fact of travel today.

My office has checked with Serco Northlink Ferries and they have confirmed that they accept a number of different photo ID. If you haven’t already done so, you or your brother should check their ID policy on their website at:

http://www.northlinkferries.co.uk/faqs-id.html. One of the alternative forms of ID is the national travel concession card, which of course depends on whether or not your brother is over the age of 60.

If not, Northlink Ferries do accept a CitizenCard (sic) as a form of ID for those travellers (sic) not in possession of a valid passport or UK driving licence. The CitizenCard (sic) is a reputable card, produced by a non-profit company and was introduced principally to allow young people over 18 to prove their age. However it is available to people of any age and is approved by the Home Office as a form of photo ID. Its costs £15. Information on how to apply for the Citizencard (sic) is available at http://www.citizencard.com/

If you or your brother have further concerns which you wish to discuss with Serco Northlink Ferries, you should contact Northlink Customer Services by telephone on 0845 6000 449.

I hope this is helpful, and that the photo ID policy issue will not hinder your brother from visiting you this summer.

Regards,

Tavish

His (or his secretaries) spelling mistakes not mine.

licence. (sic)

travellers,(sic)

travelling (sic)

His (or his secretaries) spelling mistakes not mine.

I expect that Tavish and his secretary, being British, are likely inclined to use British English when writing a letter, in English, to another British person.