How do you get to Shetland if you have no photo ID?

Guest posiedon

^^ Therin lies the problem with all these things, it totally depends on who you happen to get at the time it needs checked.

I can't say 100%, as things may have changed now, but as with internal flights, an expired password or licence was still be accepted as valid ID (within reason obviously, not an adult using the passport they had as a child etc) by Northlink.

Has someone been using predictive text. :wink:

Sadly no, it never seems to think what I'm thinking, but then obviously neither do my fingers. :D

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All airlines require the passport to be valid.
Not quite so. Flybe say on their website that a passport up to two years old is OK for UK internal flights and I think for the Republic of Ireland. BA did say the same but I am damned if I can find it on their website.

It's all very well bitching about how unfair it is that there are all these regulations, but they aren't ever likely to be downgraded - so how desperate are people to travel? If you're happy risking it with an out-of-date ID then (dire emergencies aside) "not very" would seem to be the answer. The real problem comes for the traveller who loses or has their ID stolen - just how do you obtain an emergency proof of identity? I'm guessing a solicitor would have to be involved, similar to getting verified by a consulate abroad.

I wonder what the rules are for the Isle of Wight ferries?

I'm pretty sure Flybe don't requiire photo ID. A valid credit/debit card will do for internal flights.

All you need is:

your booking reference, or

an acceptable form of identification (e.g. credit/debit card or passport) and your flight number.

It was Northlink themselves who brought in the requirement for photo ID and not any regulations requiring them to do it.

I'm on flybe a lot and they always ask for photo ID, i think its time to relise thay photo id is here now. Northlink has been the same for ages now. both have acepted my works id card so you dont need a driving licence or a passport that i have found. even a cinema card or student card might even do. northlink even offered to lamanate a photo onto our customer card for the people who dont have profetional made cards.

Its the sign of the times or you just have to stay at home

I don't possess any I.D. whatsoever with a photo on it, and I don't see why I should be forced to go to the expense and hassle of obtaining one just to be a fare on a glorified bus.

My trips to the great nation of Salmondland have been very few and a long time between in the past, and are likely to be fewer and rarer in the future with the hoops folk are expected to jump through now. I've seen nothing there I miss anyway, and a very long list of things I'm damn glad to be missing.

ur not going very far from now then? as without some sort of id which is the norm in flying and saling from shetland, unless you get a perrie row boat! Sometimes getting money out of the bank you need id!

In Heathrow you can't get into departures without having ID and you get your photo taken at the desk too, which is checked at the other side before getting onboard.

South i have found even many places like theatres and cinemas wont let you collect prepaid tickets without the card or/photo id

all sign of the times, as all this componeys are private and they have the right to take in any conditions to the sale of tickets their not much you can do about it.

it's down to so much fraud being commited (worledwide) and i for one don't mind at all

In Heathrow you can't get into departures without having ID and you get your photo taken at the desk too, which is checked at the other side before getting onboard.

Really? Things have changed in Heathrow since December? No ID asked for ever, photos taken yes, but nothing to prove who I was. I did try, but no one was interested.