The Scalloway bus turns up around Blydoit on its way to Lerwick. The Scalloway vet is a two minute wailk up the hill. On the run from Lerwick you can either get off at the Scord viewpoint and walk down the hill, get off at the foot and walk along the East Voe road, or take the trip around Scalloway until it comes back round Blydoit.

I don't know if animals are allowed though.

This is a real problem for folk. Can I suggest all interested parties be sure to bring it up at the coming consultation on bus services? The only info I can find so far is this:

Public drop in session 19th Sept in Bowlers Bar, Clickimin, 3pm to 7pm, but you can also contribute by post, online etc and the documents will be on the SIC website and Zetrans 2 weeks before the drop in.

( Assume there will be more publicity around it soon.)

In the meantime maybe call the vets and ask if they can suggest ways to help? Or the SSPCA, Cats Protection may help.

Guest posiedon

What's the difference between a guide/hearing dog and a family pet?

And no, I don't mean the reason for having one, I mean how is it that one can be allowed on buses in shops etc but not the other?

I went into the hydro shop to top up my electric key, small dog under my left arm and was ordered out (not by the current staff) What did they think it was going to do (tucked under my arm)?

We've stayed in some up market hotels in Scotland with two or three dogs sharing our room, what's so bloody special about Shetland buses?

Any bus driver refusing to carry a sick animal to the vet should maybe think about a job change.

they can't refuse the carriage of a seeing or hearing dog on equality grounds. If the pet is sick public transport is not really suitable. it takes ages and is not fair on the animal. if you cant get it to the vet get the vet to you. it may even be cheaper than a taxi. if i was near you i would happily give you a lift.

Had to get off the main road and walk to the vet, you get about 20 mins before the bus comes to the blydoit bus stop close the vet. If you miss it, it's a £10 or £11 pound taxi back to Lerwick.

The bus runs every hour during the day from Blydoit approximately on the half hour (apart from no 11.30 run). You can also walk back to the main raod and get the bus as it goes into Scalloway about 15 minutes earlier.

Thanks for help.

Going to call Vets first and see what they recommend as use a wheelchair, bit tricky steering chair and holding cat carrier.

I did see MJ's thread last year but got a bit riled and decided to post when calmed down and then forgot about it. Hopefully will get to bus consultation if I'm able.