Shetlopedia

plucker

http://www.shetland-news.co.uk/pages/news%20stories/07_2006/wikipedia_shetland_style.htm

i like to see that once again someone in shetland can't have their own unique idea but instead attempt to capitalise on someone elses for their own ends! WAsn't it you guys here at shetlink that said you were going to create an encyclopedia for shetland?

TO be honest I think it has great potential for people going in and messing the thing up and will be a nightmare to manage!! Unless there are tons of contributers going over the pages checking facts and figurs the whole thing is just a fnacy!

Imagine when people have a difference of opinion on what someting should be We've all seeen what happens on here when folk don't agree and have different opinions :lol:

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was sure I'd read the name 'Shetlopedia' before, so I searched the forums. Here's what I found, posted in Feb 06 in the Shetlink long term plans thread

But a Wikipedia is the type of idea we're working on. A lot of code tinkering to do though

We're planning on calling it 'Shetlopedia', inkeeping with the 'Shetl...' theme

Is the shetlopedia.com site a collaboration with Shetlink?

Jim-Jam

I read your message and was surprised. I remember the thread, and that's not what the post said. I've been looking at some search engine cache of the thread, and I find that the message actually said something else.

It said

To JA, we're planning an events calendar and a user updatable Shetland encyclopedia (shetlopedia?)

That's completely different to what you just posted. You're just lying about the whole thing. You do mention the word Shetlopedia, but only as a possibility. The changed text in this message appears to be very recent as well, none of the search engines are showing your text in their cache. So you're using it in an attempt to slag off the new site and make everyone think that they stole the idea from you. That's a very nice thing to do. Well done Jim-Jam, you really are exactly the sort of person that I always thought you were. :evil:

I don't think it benefits anyone to lie, especially to each other.

If you're going to start making things up then you maybe shouldn't be an administrator in Shetlink. It's a community site where we all make and read each others posts. If we can't rely on the posts to be accurate, without you logging in as administrator and changing them, then what's the point. We're no longer getting everyone's view, just the views that suit Jim-Jam. I don't want any Jim-Jam views, I want everyones. I suppose this message will be removed quite quickly, after all Jim-Jam wont want people to see his little "error".

I for one will be saving copies of all my contributions from now on, just in case you want to change them and make me look bad.

Anyway, none of this means that the idea was stolen from Shetlink. If Shetlink had decided on a name, surely they would have registered that domain and not left it open. If this was decided as long ago as February 2006, then why was the name still available for registration in May when someone else decided to use it. And isn't it a bit of a coincidence that a few days after Shetlopedia.com gets registered, shetlopedia.co.uk gets registered by Shetlink. I don't know shetlopedia.com didn't register the .co.uk name at the same time as they registered www.Shetlopedia.com, I'm sure they're regretting their mistake now. But if Shetlink were planning to launch a rival site, then it's a bit poor to use the same name as them. Who's stealing who's idea here? They register the .com name in May, and Shetlink register the .co.uk name in June. They did it first.

Anyway, lets face it, if you want an original idea then you wont be finding many on the Internet. Is Shetlink an original idea? Not really? It's a bulletin board site with some newsfeeds. Been done many millions of times before. It's even been done a few times in Shetland before, but we all gradually moved over to Shetlink, and here we've stayed. Let's not ruin it all by trying to slag off another Shetland website. I for one will be using shetlopedia.com and adding my own pages onto it. And I don't mean vandalising the pages either. I'm sure Shetlopedia.com is a stolen idea, but stolen from Wikipedia and not Shetlink. Or maybe Wikipedia stole the idea from Shetlink as well? Who knows, it's a strange world when you're paranoid.

Back to the 'who stole who's idea'. I find it unlikely that someone stealing a Shetlink idea would wait 3 months to do so. They would have done it immediately if it was an idea they thought was worthwhile?

Anyway, back in February, how many people actually knew about the website? There haven't been many website members until recently. It's sad to say it, but the Sakchai saga has been a real boost to our site. If it hadn't of been for Sakchai, we'd still have been a small community of users, logging in to talk sharn. Now we're a slightly larger community of sharn speaking Shetlanders.

I also noticed last week that we were trying to install a wiki on our own site. www.shetlink.com/wiki. Seems to have failed though. If 'the code needed some tinkering' as was suggested in the original thread, then why the installation attempt of PHPWiki? The code needs no tinkering to use that, it's already pre-written for you. Just push a button and it installs. Simple, a monkey could do it. Or maybe not, as the link www.shetlink.com/wiki suggests. :lol:

Lets see now. Wikipedia is a very popular site. So, someone has an idea that this would be good for Shetland, so they try to think of a name. WikiPedia, a combination of the words wiki and encyclopedia. Join them together and you get wikipedia. Look at of the thousands of wiki sites now out there, and most of them are either called wiki something, or something pedia. So, if you're creating a Shetland Encyclopedia, what's the name that 99% of people are going to come up with? Shetlopedia of course. It sounds right and it tells you what the site is. If someone wanted to start up a Shetland encyclopedia and they didn't call it Shetlopedia, or one of a few very similar variations, then I'd have been surprised.

Now I've had my rant. I wish Shetlopedia.com all the luck in the world. It's a great idea and it's a great site. Shetlink should be wishing them luck and working with them. They have only good things about us on their site, and we should do the same for them. Anyway, it could be a great partnership. Shetlopedia.com directing traffic to our site. We could have a discussion forum for Shetlopedia.com and they could use it to add to their site. They are not competition for our site, they may just help us get a few more visitors now that the Sakchai mob have left us.

I'm going to have another beer and then head out for the night. :!:

Jim-Jam

I read your message and was surprised. I remember the thread, and that's not what the post said. I've been looking at some search engine cache of the thread, and I find that the message actually said something else.

Hmm, read again. If you look up at the top of the page there is an option to search the forums. A bit easier than relying on Googles Cache or any other search engine. It was this thread he was referring to :-

http://www.shetlink.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=108&highlight=shetlopedia

Which does actually say:-

Ler-Wikipedia?

Thats an excellent name fur it :lol:

But a Wikipedia is the type of idea we're working on. A lot of code tinkering to do though :cry:

We were planning on calling it 'Shetlopedia', inkeeping with the 'Shetl...' theme

Might be worth researching things a little more before jumping on them. :roll:

I should add that I don't think anyone was jumping on anyone else. It looked to me as if it was a question as to whether Shetlink had anything to do with the Shetlopedia site. Best of luck to those behind it. I have already been asked by someone to add some pages to it.

Firstly, I'd like to congratulate the Shetlopedia team on a job well done, and wish you all the best for the future.

And to answer Jim-jam, no we're not affiliated with them

RE: my-shetlink-alter-ego last post

Whoa horsey! You're jumping to a few conclusions there! Quite a few accusations of stealing flying around, based on one post and a domain registration.

Jim-jam is not an administrator of this site. Only myself and two others have access to the admin section. If you think that Jim-jam is the alter ego of an administrator, I can assure you he isn't mine.

The post you mention was edited by me (Moderator and admin edits aren't logged on screen in the same way as a user). It was in no way meant to confuse. It is a fact that we were planning a Wiki of that name, and as you say, the Shetlopedia name had been mentioned in an earlier post

To JA, we're planning an events calendar and a user updatable Shetland encyclopedia (shetlopedia?)
If anyone had been seeking to 'slag off' anyone, surely they would have used the existing post.

I'll address some of your points

I suppose this message will be removed quite quickly, after all Jim-Jam wont want people to see his little "error".
The post from which the quote was taken will not be removed. I will ad a note saying it is a later edit for the sake of clarification.

just in case you want to change them and make me look bad.
I assure you we do not alter other people's posts

Anyway, none of this means that the idea was stolen from Shetlink. If Shetlink had decided on a name, surely they would have registered that domain and not left it open. If this was decided as long ago as February 2006, then why was the name still available for registration in May when someone else decided to use it. And isn't it a bit of a coincidence that a few days after Shetlopedia.com gets registered, shetlopedia.co.uk gets registered by Shetlink.
No one has accused anyone of stealing anything. As you correctly say, an idea is only an idea until it is realised. We had been working on a Wiki for some time, and shetlopedia was one of many potential domain names. When we noticed that someone had registered shetlopedia.com, we registered shetlopedia.co.uk just in case. That's common practice with domain names.

I don't know shetlopedia.com didn't register the .co.uk name at the same time as they registered www.Shetlopedia.com, I'm sure they're regretting their mistake now
They're welcome to it. We paid for it but weren't going to renew it. If one of the shetlopedia administrators sends me a PM, we'll happily transfer it.

But if Shetlink were planning to launch a rival site.....
I don't see how the sites could be a rivals. We make a financial loss and use up many hours of our spare time looking after this site. Not much to rival there!

Who's stealing who's idea here? They register the .com name in May, and Shetlink register the .co.uk name in June. They did it first.
Registering a domain name is hardly stealing.

I'm sure Shetlopedia.com is a stolen idea, but stolen from Wikipedia and not Shetlink. Or maybe Wikipedia stole the idea from Shetlink as well?
The whole point of a Wiki is to share knowledge. The software which shetlopedia.com uses is freeware, and is designed to be used in this way. I don't think it's fair to accuse shetlopedia.com of stealing the idea, whether from us or Wikipedia.

I also noticed last week that we were trying to install a wiki on our own site. www.shetlink.com/wiki. Seems to have failed though. If 'the code needed some tinkering' as was suggested in the original thread, then why the installation attempt of PHPWiki? The code needs no tinkering to use that, it's already pre-written for you. Just push a button and it installs. Simple, a monkey could do it.
We work on localhost copies of our site before making changes to the online version. That's where the 'tinkering' takes place. We had been using a modified (by us) version of PHPWiki. It wasn't an 'out of the box' installation.

The main reason that we didn't launch the Wiki was that we simply didn't have time to look after it. It takes us all our time to moderate the forums.

So, if you're creating a Shetland Encyclopedia, what's the name that 99% of people are going to come up with? Shetlopedia of course. It sounds right and it tells you what the site is. If someone wanted to start up a Shetland encyclopedia and they didn't call it Shetlopedia, or one of a few very similar variations, then I'd have been surprised.
I completely agree.

Shetlink should be wishing them luck and working with them. They have only good things about us on their site, and we should do the same for them. Anyway, it could be a great partnership. Shetlopedia.com directing traffic to our site. We could have a discussion forum for Shetlopedia.com and they could use it to add to their site. They are not competition for our site, they may just help us get a few more visitors now that the Sakchai mob have left us.
We're more than happy to collaborate in any way possible with shetlopedia.com. We're not some megalomaniacs with dreams of world domination. We look after a discussion forum. That's it

I'm going to have another beer and then head out for the night
Have a good night!

(Edited by me once in total)

PB have you considered contacting the Shetlopedia folks to perhaps help compliment each other. They could link to the Shetlink forum and Shetlink could link to them? Looking at the Shetlopedia site the forum section looks pretty basic. Shetlink could have a section for Shetlopedia? It would generate interest for both sides.

Just a thought.

http://www.shetland-news.co.uk/pages/news%20stories/07_2006/wikipedia_shetland_style.htm

TO be honest I think it has great potential for people going in and messing the thing up and will be a nightmare to manage!! Unless there are tons of contributors going over the pages checking facts and figurs the whole thing is just a fnacy!

I reckon that's a pretty defeatist attitude. The Wiki probably will take a lot of time to administer, but as long as there are a good few contributors, errors and 'horseplay' should be kept to a minimum

PB have you considered contacting the Shetlopedia folks to perhaps help compliment each other. They could link to the Shetlink forum and Shetlink could link to them? Looking at the Shetlopedia site the forum section looks pretty basic. Shetlink could have a section for Shetlopedia? It would generate interest for both sides.

Just a thought.

Good idea Pooks. I reckon there's great potential for synergies between the two sites

Wow 8O

I'm just back in from T .. what a day! and then to come back in to someone spitting the dummy over a fekin website!

Look - first off! All the best to you for going for shetlopedia... not one of us envies you in your task of administrating a wiki! It's a full time job just trying to keep folk in check on a fekin forum! - no joke!

Go for it ... and all the best!

Yes, we had considered creating a wiki as part of this place .. but to be honest, and has been so elequently pointed out! none of us, as moderators or admins, wished to pile any more time into ensuring that whatever was collaborated into a wiki was hard and fast facts or rather just someones opinion - which I too can see as being the biggest pitfall of a wiki - albeit it is editable by anyone whom cares to do so.

As was mentioned at the top of this post - it's a hard enough job here trying to allow everyone to have an opinion and not end up in some pleepsy festering moomin for tat pish battle! as has been quite evident over the last couple of weeks 8O

Anyhow - back to the situation at hand.

See this whole system - phpNuke ... its a festering beast of a thing ... and we've got a system here running between two versions kindly amalgamted together by the guy at yadUK for us for security! phpNuke being a haven for folk trying to hack into and take the piss meant that he didn't want us runnning an "open" version on his server .. and we ended up getting paneled anyhow in the middle of the sakchai affair by what we understand as eastern europeans!

I can only presume by the nature, the posturing, and the content of your post that you are one of the adminstrators of the new shetlopedia site. Well - good luck to you - as I have said previously! I envy you not .. but I do believe that it is a very worthwhile and exciting project that you are undertaking. Do it justise!

I also noticed last week that we were trying to install a wiki on our own site. www.shetlink.com/wiki. Seems to have failed though. If 'the code needed some tinkering' as was suggested in the original thread, then why the installation attempt of PHPWiki? The code needs no tinkering to use that, it's already pre-written for you. Just push a button and it installs. Simple, a monkey could do it. Or maybe not, as the link www.shetlink.com/wiki suggests. Laughing

This part of the post does make me laugh though as you've obviously been "hockin" about in google caches and or hitting this site on the off chance of digging something up!?!

That directory has been there for some time now (as in months rather than weeks!!) .. and as said previously - anything that is added to this "bar steward" copy of phpNuke has to be tailored specifically - and not just plug-n-play as is mediawiki which is the wikipedia / shetlopedia base software.

This site unfortunately doesn't now sit well with all the "lovely nice addons or plugins" that is available to phpNuke and we are having to make do - but thanks to the community of people that come through this site it is what it is :D Thank You Shetlink users :D

Anyway .. enjoy what you've created ... and surf on the advertising from Hans at Shetland News... don't tarnish it!!