Shetlopedia

plucker

I have just spent a few minutes trying to find the link to my website under Shetland Businesses - it used to be there and if you search, it is but not coming up on the page.

I cannot find anyone to ask to help. I do not understand the way it is set up as i do not speak fluent HTML.

It is a load of sharn, IMHO, and I am seriously pissed off. I want to ask someone what I am doing wrong, but there is no where to look and no one to ask. the organisers just assume everyone understands the concept and I, for one, do not get it at all. A waste of cyber space.

SOrry, for the rant, but I am very cross.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've had a quick look a half dozen or so times since it started, the last being a few days back, it's difficult to get interested though when most of what you read you already know.

I did make one contribution a while back, but have been too lazy to do any more. I suppose if I actually took the time to check out how the site is set up and register, I might get more in to it. :oops:

Ive been on Shetlopedia several times and have found very interesting. i think in principle it is a good idea but needs to have more intuitive navigation to help find all the information that is on the site. There is a lot of information on the site but they don't tell you anywhere what information there is.

it's difficult to get interested though when most of what you read you already know

The website is only a few weeks old and i think as it grows this will improve as more and more information is added.

I have just spent a few minutes trying to find the link to my website under Shetland Businesses - it used to be there and if you search, it is but not coming up on the page.

Frances144 they have a page for each business now and not just a list of business links. You can add a page for your own business or ask thenm to do it for you

I cannot find anyone to ask to help. I do not understand the way it is set up as i do not speak fluent HTML.

If you need help ask the forums http://www.shetlopedia.com/forums/

or click on one of the administrators names and send them an email. Or you can click on the discussion tab of the main page and ask your question there.

http://It is a load of sharn, IMHO, and I am seriously pissed off. I want to ask someone what I am doing wrong, but there is no where to look and no one to ask. the organisers just assume everyone understands the concept and I, for one, do not get it at all. A waste of cyber space.

SOrry, for the rant, but I am very cross.

i Dont think they are trying to make it hard to use. Message gary or jastewart on shetlink who has a lot to do with shetlopedia

Frances144. I've checked, and your website has never been added to Shetland Businesses. You added it to the Shetland Websites page on the 9th July but you did not add it to Shetland Businesses. If you look at the Shetland Websites page, that's where you will still find your entry.

JASTEWART has now added a page for your business, and I've added some information against it. It is now listed in the Shetland Businesses section. You might want to go on to this page and add some information of your own, to do this click on the EDIT button at the top of the page and there you can add your own text. No HTML required.

If you need help on the website, there are a number of places to find it. You can click onto my name (or any of the other contributors) and click the 'Email This User' option. Or you can use the online Help pages (http://www.shetlopedia.com/Help:Contents). You can also go to any page, click on the discussion tab and ask your question there. As well as that we have a discussions forum that can be used to ask questions (http://www.shetlopedia.com/forums/). Your comment does highlight to us that there is no 'Contact Us' section, so we'll go ahead and add one in.

We're also trying to develop input forms, so if someone wants to add a new business they get a form to complete with the business name, address, description, website, etc and Shetlopedia creates the page itself. This will be used in different parts of the website and will make things easier for inexperienced users. We just have to find the time now to develop these input forms.

It is a load of sharn, IMHO, and I am seriously pissed off. I want to ask someone what I am doing wrong, but there is no where to look and no one to ask. the organisers just assume everyone understands the concept and I, for one, do not get it at all. A waste of cyber space.

Well you're entitled to your opinion, but I think you're being unfair. Shetlopedia.com is run by volunteers, no-one makes any money from the site and we're just doing what we can in the time available. We're all busy with work/study, etc. and Shetlopedia and ShetlandDictionary.com are both big projects. It will take time to get right, but we're putting a lot of effort into doing that. I think that we've got a couple of pretty good sites so far, and with some tweaking they'll be even better. You have your own opinion though and I respect that.

With regards to your business, if you google for your business name, you will find that apart from the your own website, the only link you get on google comes from Shetlopedia.com. If you think Shetlopedia is "A waste of cyber space" then that's your opinion, but it is the only website out there to mention your business name and help promote it.

LerwickJigger writes

Ive been on Shetlopedia several times and have found very interesting. i think in principle it is a good idea but needs to have more intuitive navigation to help find all the information that is on the site. There is a lot of information on the site but they don't tell you anywhere what information there is.

We're aware of this problem. The website has grown very quickly (over 600 pages now) and so the navigation we set up is out of date. It's more difficult to find your way around the site than we'd like and we're discussing ideas about how to improve this. We've started this by trying to categorise as many pages as possible and we'll be working on a few site changes over the next few weeks.

Ghostrider writes

I've had a quick look a half dozen or so times since it started, the last being a few days back, it's difficult to get interested though when most of what you read you already know.

Well the site is in its early stages but it's growing quickly. The content takes time to build up, but it's getting there. If you have content you'd like to add then please do so.

Thank you for all your comments, we're happy to hear them so we can use them to develop a better website. If you have any comments/suggestions/criticisms about Shetlopedia.com, you can post them on the forums page of Shetlopedia http://www.shetlopedia.com/forums/, or you can email me directly on admin at shetlopedia dot com, and we'll do our best to help out.

Gary

The way I see Shetlopedia is to help people who want to find out more about Shetland, but we need Shetland volunteers to keep the project moving. Me, Robbie, Gary and Islandhopper don't know everything that has happened in Shetland over the past 6 billion years, but we're all adding what we can. I encourage you all to come and help out and make it better (if you're finding it so useless).

Add something trivial that you think not many people know about, post at our forums, add suggestions.

Please help :!:

• 3 months later...

http://www.shetlopedia.com and http://www.shetlanddictionary.com are both down at the moment.

There are some server issues just now which are being looked into. The hosts attempted to upgrade to the latest version of php, but instead they've stopped any website that uses php from working. They've assured me that they will sort this out very soon, or they will roll-back to the latest version of php.

Gary

I've been busy finding a new host and I'm hoping to move the websites today and tomorrow. The other hosts messed up, and then went away for Christmas without sorting it out.

Anyway, Merry Christmas to everyone on Shetlopedia, ShetlandDictionary, Shetlink and everywhere else.

Cheers

Gary