Taking pictures of Sullom Voe and Sellaness

mikeyboy

Guest CyprusPluto

I suppose they can confiscate any pictures an ordinary Shetland citizen takes with their £50 digital camera bought from Tescos or the Camera Centre......

......but if you have a satellite with 'Enemy of the West' on the side, orbiting the Earth 20000 miles away, you can take all the pictures you like :lol:

I suppose they can confiscate any pictures an ordinary Shetland citizen takes with their £50 digital camera bought from Tescos or the Camera Centre......

......but if you have a satellite with 'Enemy of the West' on the side, orbiting the Earth 20000 miles away, you can take all the pictures you like :lol:

Actually no, they can't. The police cannot seize your camera equipment, memory cards, film, tapes, hard drives unless they have a warrant, nor can they demand that you erase an image from a digital camera. In general, you are free to film and photograph wherever, whatever and whomever you like in a public place in the UK. You do not require a permit, and the Police cannot stop and search you on the pretext of section 44 of the Terrorism Act 2000, as that particular subsection of was deemed illegal by the European Court of Human Rights. Similarly, that ruling says you are able to photograph and film police personnel and incidents without restriction (although I would imagine that crime scenes would obviously be an exception).

There are certain restrictions - for instance, you cannot film or take photographs on the London Underground. I was part of a camera crew using the tube to quickly reach various London locations, and we were (quite rightly) stopped by the Police to make sure we weren't actually filming on the tube (we weren't). Similarly, you cannot take photographs of either Trafalgar Square or Parliament Square for business purposes without written permission from the Mayor of London's Office. Tourists are exempt from the latter two examples. There are restrictions on MOD installations. Railway stations also generally enforce a restriction on filming.

http://www.sirimo.co.uk/2009/05/14/uk-photographers-rights-v2/ has a useful, printable PDF with a god general guide to a photographers rights in the UK.

Guest CyprusPluto

Actually no, they can't. The police cannot seize your camera equipment, memory cards, film, tapes, hard drives unless they have a warrant, nor can they demand that you erase an image from a digital camera. In general, you are free to film and photograph wherever, whatever and whomever you like in a public place in the UK.

There are certain restrictions - for instance, you cannot film or take photographs on the London Underground. I was part of a camera crew using the tube to quickly reach various London locations, and we were (quite rightly) stopped by the Police to make sure we weren't actually filming on the tube (we weren't). Similarly, you cannot take photographs of either Trafalgar Square or Parliament Square for business purposes without written permission from the Mayor of London's Office. Tourists are exempt from the latter two examples.

http://www.sirimo.co.uk/2009/05/14/uk-photographers-rights-v2/ has a useful, printable PDF with a god general guide to a photographers rights in the UK.

Lighten up. It was a joke! :shock:

Well it is good to know that the police in Shetland are so underworked that they have time to issue (inaccurate) information about taking photographs. Maybe Shetlink could have a thread on "the best amateur photo of Sullom Voe Terminal" and another one on "things the police could do since they have so much spare time".

This is terrible but it was interesting that, according to the article, Total seemed to know nothing about it.

I know the SVT are a bunch of i****s about cameras/photographs so maybe it's them who instigated it?.

I hope Total react in a better way because I was hoping to get some photographs of the big sections/modules arriving etc.

Fatal Paper Cut, thanks for the clarification but hopefully Total show a little more common sense and even helpfulness on this matter because I know one or two other people who are equally interested in the project and were hoping to get some photos.

Whoever is responsible for those leaflets/signs are utter duffers.....

The lunacy of legislation strikes again.

I'd be interested to know the logic in prohibiting photos taken from outside the perimeter fencing (given that there are two dedicated parking/viewing spots with interpretive boards etc) when the detailed plans of the site are freely available online in the planning apps etc for the new Total plant.. :roll: