Taking pictures of Sullom Voe and Sellaness

mikeyboy

Actually no, they can't. The police cannot seize your camera equipment, memory cards, film, tapes, hard drives unless they have a warrant, nor can they demand that you erase an image from a digital camera. In general, you are free to film and photograph wherever, whatever and whomever you like in a public place in the UK.

You'd better inform the Grampian Police then. Trump used them on several occasions, you also it seems can't take a picture of an officer in uniform (unlike in Strathclyde where they're quite happy to pose). Then there's the shopping centres... You also have to be very careful about schools.

You'd better inform the Grampian Police then. Trump used them on several occasions, you also it seems can't take a picture of an officer in uniform (unlike in Strathclyde where they're quite happy to pose). Then there's the shopping centres... You also have to be very careful about schools.

Sadly, there are a lot of police who are entirely ignorant of the law in some areas, or perfectly happy to interpret it how they wish. Then there's policemen who seem to think that they can behave in an intimidatory manner, just because they have a uniform - and sometimes even when they're in civvies.

Sadly, there are a lot of police who are entirely ignorant of the law in some areas, or perfectly happy to interpret it how they wish. Then there's policemen who seem to think that they can behave in an intimidatory manner, just because they have a uniform - and sometimes even when they're in civvies.

Could it be because the law states that you can't photograph a police officer without their permission IF said plod/the law reckons that said photograph could be useful to terrorists or, perish the thought, that you are a terrorist? I vaguely remember something when the anti-terrorism legislation came in and the NUJ kicking up a stink about it. Plod ain't particularly keen on their mug shots being taken during public disturbances either but are more than happy to make use of press photographs to identify the perpetrators (provided it isn't the police committing the offence(s).)

As far as I am aware it is perfectly lawful to photograph or film the police if in a public place. The ACPO advice to the Scottish Police forces specifically states not to attempt to use Anti terrorist legislation in such a way as to prevent members of the public taking photos. The onus would be on the police to prove that you are engaged in terrorist activities.

If I was filming something and the police asked me to stop I would then film them. It protects us both from unwarranted accusations. However I would ask them if there is any specific reason that I should stop filming? Because you never know there may be some sort of security situation taking place.

I believe you can film crime scenes but the footage may be used as evidence.

^ Perhaps but the Metropolitan Police state to ask permission of the officer first. Wasn't there also the fact that someone went to the European Courts over this legislation?

Then there's data protection, whilst not applicable to buildings, the Information Commissioner did rule that you could take a photograph of more than one individual in a public place but not of a single individual but again, these things get challenged and updated all the time - so who knows for sure?

That would be a request by the Met and not a lawful requirement. They don't ask your permission before they film you.

A public servant in a public place has to accept the fact that their image may be recorded just like everybody else.

The Data protection act doesn't really come into these cases apart from if someone gets their picture taken they are entitled to a copy at a fixed cost of £10.

I used to haunt a law enforcement forum and some of the comments I read there made shocking reading. A lot of constables aren't really aware of the law and what powers they actually have.

We should resist all these little encroachments into our liberties whenever they happen.

This is a useful resource for photography in public places (there is a pdf link to a concise description of your rights if you scroll down a bit)

http://www.sirimo.co.uk/2009/05/14/uk-photographers-rights-v2/

Further down the page there are a lot of specific questions & answers that will be relevant for many of you keen amateurs.

Sorry I couldn't find the link but have cut and pasted from my desktop

I quote

Dear Colleague

Guidance Regarding Photographers

I write in my capacity as chair of the Corporate Communications Sub-Group in relation to the above.

Guidance was circulated recently by ACPO colleagues on this matter following a number of recent instances highlighted in the press where officers had detained photographers and deleted images from their cameras. The guidance has reached colleagues in Scotland and partners in the media (Scottish Newspaper Society) who have sought clarification of the position here.

While the instances of this in Scotland may be small, I seek your support in reminding your officers and staff that they should not prevent anyone from taking photographs in public. This applies equally to members of the media and public seeking to record images, who do not need a permit to photograph or film in public places. There are no powers prohibiting the taking of photographs, film or digital images in public places. Therefore members of the public and press should not be prevented from doing so. We rely on the cooperation of the media and amateur photographers whose images can help us identify criminals.

Citizen journalism is a feature of modern life and police officers are now photographed and filmed more than ever. Unnecessarily restricting photography, whether the casual tourist or professional is unacceptable and could undermine public confidence in the police service. Once an image has been recorded, the police have no power to delete or confiscate it; this does not however affect officer’s powers to seize items where they suspect there is evidence of criminality.

If you require further guidance please contact my staff officer John McBride (john.mcbride@btp.pnn.police.uk)

Yours sincerely

David McCall

Assistant Chief Constable

NOT PROTECTIVELY MARKED

Association of Chief Police Officers in Scotland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland.

Registration Number: