Urban Myths

Yowe

I just thought about this after looking on Jordans link in Cool Internet Links. I once found myself involved in the spreading of one of these. I was living in a large town in England and a good friend of mine told me he'd been warned by someone who had been warned by a friend not to go near Birmingham that weekend because of a planned bombing(there had been a terrorist attack in London). I didn't think about it much but when I was at work and overheard someone I didn't even know saying that they were going to Birmingham for the weekend, I felt compelled to tell them what I'd heard to warn them. It dawned on me soon after that it was just a hysterical rumour that was spreading easily because of peoples fears. The story that was spreading had all the right 'ingredients' to keep it going. Anyone else got any thoughts on urban myths?

Anyone else got any thoughts on urban myths?
I think they're a PITA, spreading unneccessary > concern. Google 'urban myths' and you'll find lots of common ones. Some do the rounds for years and people pass them on as well-meaning warnings but are just propagating this cr*p. If you get an email with some dire warning about how people can dial # something and get all your stuff from your mobile, etc, stop and think about it. Or don't even bother to think about it - google it and it'll probably be there...

I was wondering through town yesterday when I saw a man of middle eastern origin fall over dropping all his papers he was carrying.

I stopped and spent 5 minutes or so making sure he was ok and helping him gather up his stuff.

As I left he said to me "Don't go to London this weekend"

I said "Why, is there going to be a terrorist attack?"

He said "No, it's just sh*t"