Road Closures

GypsyScy

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 months later...
im thinking if this is the result of the new gritting rota then its not going to be a cost saving.

According to Alan Wishart on Radio Shetland at lunch time rain was washing the grit off the road then freezing, so it was very difficult to keep the roads clear.

Exactly. Plain old common sense as always. Nothing new or "freaky" about it :)

The rain also dilutes the salt content in the grit very quickly hence reducing its effectiveness.

Weird how people seem so quick to wave such an illogical finger of blame at the council when the conditions are so blatantly obvious.

Personally I'm delighted to see the grit heaps back again, available 24hrs a day :D

Exactly. Plain old common sense as always. Nothing new or "freaky" about it :)

Weird how people seem so quick to wave such an illogical finger of blame at the council when the conditions are so blatantly obvious.

About time people started taking responsibility for their own safety and actions.

There were warnings everywhere from Thurs afternoon onwards, drive according to conditions, if conditions are too bad don't travel.

Have to question the school bus and taxi with schoolbairns - in Aberdeenshire the school transport won't run if conditions are too bad, I'm sure I read somewhere it's something to do with their insurance.

The last time I remember similar road conditions in Shetland was 1984 or thereabouts, took us nearly 3 hours from Lerwick to Sullom, and you couldn't even stand on the road at tingwall straights let alone drive - the two Bolts buses headed for Sullom slid into each other in a slow motion crash at Girlsta :roll:

There is little point gritting in the rain if it is heavy, sometimes, a light drizzle is ok as the salt turns it to brine. That is only good down to -8.

There is a good product called safecoat which is mixed with sugar, that helps it stick to the road, but if no one drives over it, it will not activate.

The driver is responsible in the main for his vehicle, if the council have not carried out their statuary duty through poor management, fine and well. Just because a gritter has spread does not mean it is safe to drive on.

There is a liquid de-icer that can be used, very very expensive.

There are also plans to "wet" the salt before putting it on the road, it would save on salt usage.