Road Closures

GypsyScy

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've had my Snow Trac winter tyres on since October, didn't stop me sliding off the road 2 miles past Voe, I'd driven over the alps as I do every day summer and winter and had no problem, the bend in the road and the bad camber plus the very black sheet ice left me slowly sliding off the road.

The ambulance came to check there were no casualty's and he slid as well, as did the police when they got out of their vehicle, the road was like a skating rink, when the gritter finally came he'd to make 4 passes spraying all over the road very carefully, we were advised by the police to climb the bank in case the gritter went the same way as the cars and bus. That was the worst part of my daily trip in and I honestly don't think SIC could have forseen that, I've always thought they did a very good job and still think that compared to South they do. All praise to all the services that helped clear the roads today, brave people one and all.

How is the road from the Westside into town this morning? I have to be in town early this morning and as a fairly new driver I am terrified! :shock:

If you are that terrified, the answer is simple - don't drive and find an alternative means of getting to town and back, if possible. Alternatively, stay indoors.

When possible, peeps can avoid travelling by car when road conditions are diabolically bad with black ice and the like - I sure as hell know that if the roads are mega bad, I won't venture to Grotesco's unless absolutely necessary (Ghostie can starve :wink: )

ah yes that statement. is your journey necessary. you d need understanding bosses to get away with that. the only time that the wifes bosses are ok is if the police advice not to travel that does not happen often enough.

don't think by having winter tyres on your safe from skidding please drive slowly and carefully.

I think this year we should all thank the SIC for doing their job and what an excellent job they do over winter. I mean just imagine if they did nothing! Then I suppose we could moan.

Why, they haven't gritted roads near me for a while, and I pay my rates too.

Granted they do a good job of the roads they grit and as a Toonie you will also get your pavements gritted and cleared. Heavens forbid you might have to find a shovel and hand grit the roads in da toon

:lol:

^^Yes, winter tyres can only help so much; as paulb says you still need to drive slowly and carefully. But I am a great believer in all season or winter tyres, in my experience they make a big difference on ice or snow, especially if they have a decent thread remaining. Suzanna describes a few posts back having winter tyres and that “black sheet ice left me slowly sliding off the roadâ€. I think with summer tyres that could have been very quickly sliding off the road in those conditions.

All season or winter tyres don’t just have a slightly different tread to give a better grip; the whole rubber they are made from is different. They remain softer and more flexible in cold conditions making then better able to shape to the road surface to get the maximum grip possible. Their low temperature flexibility also means that they give better grip on wet roads in winter, I think the advice given is that they should be fitted when temperatures generally drop below 7 degrees, or for us, from about October/November to April.

On a similar theme, Crofter says about the need for sensible shoes. Yes, but as with winter tyres, sensible shoes are not a guarantee against slipping. I will bet that more folk are in the Gilbert Bain in winter from falling on ice than from being in a car on ice. A slip and a bump in a car – to the garage and all repaired. Broken bones don’t fix so easily. And I would suggest to crofter that the majority of broken bones are older folk wearing perfectly sensible footwear. So on that basis, perhaps treating pavements is more important than treating roads.

Ian, your right about winter tyres. I bought my first set last year and could not get over the difference in the grip on the snow. I kicked myself for all the years I had been skidding around with what I felt were good tyres with plenty of thread. They do work! Even a set on the driving wheels will make a huge difference.