Road Closures

GypsyScy

There hasn't been a thaw here today, it's been down around about freezing all day and the ground temps will be that little bit cooler. Also, there hasn't been a gritter in sight all day.

The roads WILL be icy (still) and they will get worse as the night goes on. Unfortunately, the roads are very simply, not safe for use just now. Don't bother trying to go anywhere, you may not survive the trip.

It may sound over dramatic to some of you but this is the situation we find ourselves in. Only drive if you absolutely have to - stay home, watch some of the rubbish on telly instead and thank the council for their fantastic grasp on economics.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Remember, drivers who are on the Winter Maintenance Program can be out all night in certain conditions, gritting their route 3 times or more, if they have to plough, that adds time as both sides of the road has to be done.

Please try to remember that this is a Shetland website and most of it's content refers to Shetland. What happens in Preston is of little relevance here.

One does exist.

Happy reading....

Section 34 of the Roads (Scotland) Act 1984

Why thank you, SP.

"A roads authority shall take such steps as they consider reasonable to prevent snow and ice endangering the safe passage of pedestrians and vehicles over public roads."

Subject to 2002 precedent, not an absolute duty but the actions (or lack of) by the SIC should be on par with those of other Scottish LAs as to what precisely is deemed "reasonable".

two years ago the kids missed 4 weeks of school over the winter because of snow related conditions. this is with the gritter men doing a great job. now with the reduced gritting and side roads being missed whats the betting that its not going to be great if we have a white winter.

i wonder if the council members would have enjoyed having to dig sand from reawick beach just so that the school bus could make it through. even then they were an hour late for school.

this time its was not the councils fault but when its standard shetland winter weather then it will be. did they do a cost impact study on what this cut would cost the shetland economy in lost work days ect.

peat i assume knows the cost of an accident. how many will it take to equal or pass the so called savings.

unlink they are not going to replace the street lighting. a head lamp maybe your best bet.

and in praise of the grittermen its reassuring to see them out and about when its grotty out there.

It depends what you want done. There has been High Court hearings about this. You can, as it is the duty of the authority, take it to court to get the work done, the chances are, you will only be compensated if you are hurt, you may not be able to claim a purely financial loss, that is, the blockage affected my profits.

It would be hard to prove negligence, especially if RAs and method statements and agreed expert advice had been used, your only course would be to prove that the council or authority acted positivity to create the danger. More so, f you already know there may be a danger, you could find yourself up on a charge if you go against the advice of the authority or fail to heed warnings.

So, you already know the dangers, why take the risk?

Of course we know that nurses and other drivers need to be on the road, that then would become the duty of the employer to oversee.

Secondly the gritter staff do a good job, one which they get paid to do, but they are not on the front line in Afghanistan risking life and limb.

A crewman lost his life gritting about 20 years ago.

We've got too used to the excellent gritting we have had up to now. Years ago they didn't use salt, so if it froze at all after the gritter had passed the roads were a skating rink again. You just got used to it.

Thank god they do!

:lol:

Indeed. It would be dreadful if all you toonie fashionistas had to wear sensible shoes!

Didn't see this until now, unfortunately. As you can see from under my picture, it says 'South End'. So, I'm neither a Lerwick resident nor a 'fashionista'. In fact I have a walk to the bus stop on a single track road, which is quite often full of mud or less savoury animal waste products. So I usually wearing walking boots with a good sole, especially when being soaked and wind blown.

That sensible enough for you?

When you have to carry your shopping from Tesco, to and around town and then go to the co-op, I can assure you you'd rather do it *without* breaking something. In addition I'm sure there are plenty of old folk that appreciate it.

Thank god they do!

:lol:

Indeed. It would be dreadful if all you toonie fashionistas had to wear sensible shoes!

Didn't see this until now, unfortunately. As you can see from under my picture, it says 'South End'. So, I'm neither a Lerwick resident nor a 'fashionista'. In fact I have a walk to the bus stop on a single track road, which is quite often full of mud or less savoury animal waste products. So I usually wearing walking boots with a good sole, especially when being soaked and wind blown.

That sensible enough for you?

When you have to carry your shopping from Tesco, to and around town and then go to the co-op, I can assure you you'd rather do it *without* breaking something. In addition I'm sure there are plenty of old folk that appreciate it.

To be serious for a moment, I don't begrudge a bit of salt for the Lerwick lanes, and Ian_H makes a good point about injuries in his post above. But, at a time when rural schools throughout Shetland are threatened with closure the Council can afford to spend millions on a new High School in Lerwick. No money is available for urgent repairs to public halls in rural areas, (let's wait and see about Mareel) There are ferry service cuts in the pipeline and reduced gritting services (depending on your postcode) - but what cuts are actually affecting Lerwick? I know the public toilets were closed, and Freefield might be, but surely if there are going to be cuts they should be applied equally?

No money is available for urgent repairs to public halls in rural areas, (let's wait and see about Mareel)....

Did hit bear afore me, ur did I read somethin no lang syn syne aboot a Cooncilir sayin dat dey wid juist hae ta fin money ta richt up da waas idda Toon Haa, fur hit simply cudna be allooed ta faa asindry. Yit seeminly aa iddir boddies Haas can juist geen ta rack an ruin it da sam time.

Time fur yun revolution ta cum Im tinkin.

Secondly the gritter staff do a good job, one which they get paid to do, but they are not on the front line in Afghanistan risking life and limb.

A crewman lost his life gritting about 20 years ago.

We've got too used to the excellent gritting we have had up to now. Years ago they didn't use salt, so if it froze at all after the gritter had passed the roads were a skating rink again. You just got used to it.

Yes I can recal the incident and it was very sad, thankfully things have moved on from there with increased health and safety, risk assessment and working directives etc.

No one is saying the job does not have risks, but so does many other occupations. You could argue that a nurse is more at risk of being assaulted in A&E then a gritter going off the road!

I do feel that lack of gritting unfortunately increases the risk to other drivers who sometimes have no choice but to drive in conditions like we have had over the last few days. Not the fault of the gritter drivers, but that of the decision makers.

How many incidents have been recorded in the last few days alone!

Children's AHS Social Space Extension 100,000 why when they are building a new school

Infrastructure B9071 Bixter to Aith Phase 2 800,000 500,000 50,000 again why 1.35 mil when they are planning to close aith school. whats the point of the little footpath. as we were told recently use the verge.

Infrastructure Bixter Bus Interchange 4,392 why its not used.

New Developments - Committed Fees Only

Children's AHS 100,000 300,000 for what

Infrastructure Bixter Burial Ground 17,862 200,000 252,000 why is there a need to spend nearly 500k on this. surly its just a wall and landscaping.

a lot is being planned to be spent on replacing street lighting. is this all needed

come on council get real. councils south are planning and pushing through massive job cuts. just bite the bullet cut staff and stop any unneeded spending. its simple if you broke you stop spending.

now its time to re look at the oil industry to start paying for the oil they are getting. its clear shetland has been conned by them. its time for the oil companies to pay there way. why should shetland pay for the tugs at sullom voe when they are making a loss. get them to fund the service.

whats the point of the little footpath. as we were told recently use the verge.

obviously you've never had to walk down that road, nor does it occur to you that just because they're possibly closing the secondary dept, that primary children and parents with younger children may want to walk safely down that road, to school/nursery, shop, leisure centre, hall etc.

Infrastructure Bixter Bus Interchange 4,392 why its not used.[\quote] It is? I've never actually seen you on the bus, but it has made the bus changes in the afternoon/evening a lot safer.

Just because YOU don't use something doesn't make it a waste of money.