New SIC chief here for the long run

Redrobbie99

Ach, Colin - you're confusing what's right, fair and just with what's legal. A common mistake.

The former, more often than not, has little to do with the latter, but there's only one that's enforceable in a court.

Guess so and, my apologies to Exciseman to describing his post as 'absolute rubbish'. Wasn't justified at all. Now, if he will apologise to me for alluding that I may have some kind of connection with a certain Mr Hill.... :D

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ach, Colin - you're confusing what's right, fair and just with what's legal. A common mistake.

The former, more often than not, has little to do with the latter, but there's only one that's enforceable in a court.

Guess so and, my apologies to Exciseman to describing his post as 'absolute rubbish'. Wasn't justified at all. Now, if he will apologise to me for alluding that I may have some kind of connection with a certain Mr Hill.... :D

And don't forget to apologise to all the English up here for insinuating that they are not to be trusted.......

Shetland has no ‘right’ or power, legal or otherwise, to negotiate anything with anybody. If Scotland votes for the partition of the UK then Shetland will be part of the new independent state of Scotland whether we like it or not and there is absolutely nothing the new CE or anybody else can do about it.

Absolute rubbish...

We are living in what is supposed to be a democracy. Are you telling us that we have no democratic rights?

If WE tell Alex Salmond and his cohorts that WE want no part of his independent Scotland and that WE want to either remain part of (what is left of) the UK or WE want to strike out on our own there is absolutely nothing that ANYONE could do about it other than send in the gunships...

That, at least, should lead to a position where WE could negotiate.

Shetland is far enough away from the rest of the UK to more than justify a degree of autonomy such as the Channel Islands, Isle of Man, Faroe etc. enjoy.

Would you trust an Englishman to negotiate that for us..

It would appear from the results of recent Scottish Court proceedings that there is little doubt, and certainly none within the Judiciary, that Shetland IS subject to Scottish Law.

Historically there are a phone book of reasons not to trust Scots with power, but I am really struggling to bring to mind much to construct a similar list for the English.

The reason is obviously grammar, "Historically there is a phone book of reasons not to trust Scots with power", "is" as phone book is singular. Education in England obviously cost a fortune and is worth sausage all.

Historically there are a phone book of reasons not to trust Scots with power, but I am really struggling to bring to mind much to construct a similar list for the English.

The reason is obviously grammar, "Historically there is a phone book of reasons not to trust Scots with power", "is" as phone book is singular. Education in England obviously cost a fortune and is worth sausage all.

Yea, Engleesh is His sekind langweech, du kens! :P

I thought Shetland was only about 30 miles from the rest of the UK. Is that far enough away?

Just dive in and follow the seabed in any given direction and you'll find that Shetland is very firmly attached to the uk and Scandinavia and the US amongst many other places. It's just a matter of holding you're breath long enough to discover that there are no real borders....

• 2 weeks later...