The Great British Bake Off

Suzanna

Says quite a lot about the loss of vibrancy and community on Shetlink that not one person has even mentioned James winning star baker on last night's episode, recorded on his 21st birthday. It was all over Twitter and several of us Shetlinkers were smiling about it on Facebook. Guess we've all given up on the sourness and sniping on here. What a shame.

Maybe, and even hopefully, there are those out there who can like something without the need to tweet or click Facebook I LIKE button, just like those in my family who are quietly enjoying the series. Just a thought. Oxna.

You seem to have time to twitter about it on this instead of quietly enjoying it like the rest of your family then?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well good for him, I'm sure.

I assume this is some TV thing, I wouldn't know though, as I haven't watched one since 2003, I don't 'Twit' either, as I find both inane, brain-liquifying and coma inducing.

I'll stick to real life I think, TV shows are scripted fantasy designed for entertainment purposes only after all.

Ah but come now, Ghostie, you are missing such a delight!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00zbxfl

I'd rather liquidise my eyeballs with acid, one tiny drop at a time!

I assume this is some TV thing, I wouldn't know though, as I haven't watched one since 2003, I don't 'Twit' either, as I find both inane, brain-liquifying and coma inducing.

I'll stick to real life I think, TV shows are scripted fantasy designed for entertainment purposes only after all.

It seems odd to me that you find Twitter and Television "inane, brain-liquefying and coma inducing" and would rather "stick to real life" when it appears to me that you spend the majority of your time on the cyberspace of bile that is Shetlink! Quite a hypocritical view you have of Twitter and TV, don't you think?!

Anyway, I enjoy a good bit of TV and wish James all the best in next weeks final! Good to have a bit of positivity every now and then, even if Shetlinkers try to ruin all the fun! :)

Says quite a lot about the loss of vibrancy and community on Shetlink that not one person has even mentioned James winning star baker on last night's episode, recorded on his 21st birthday. It was all over Twitter and several of us Shetlinkers were smiling about it on Facebook. Guess we've all given up on the sourness and sniping on here. What a shame.

Maybe, and even hopefully, there are those out there who can like something without the need to tweet or click Facebook I LIKE button, just like those in my family who are quietly enjoying the series. Just a thought. Oxna.

You seem to have time to twitter about it on this instead of quietly enjoying it like the rest of your family then?

Not quite sure at whom this rejoinder was directed as the quotation marks have got a little confused.

But in any case - what a grossly insensitive comment! (Par for the course on Shetlink these days.) How do you know that Oxna (whom I don't know at all) is surrounded by a supportive family under the same roof? Has it occurred to you that for people living alone, chatting away on Twitter or Facebook or both, about something you are simultaneously watching, particularly if the other person is hundreds of miles away and so cannot pop round to watch it with you, can be a helpful antidote to the loneliness that faces you when you come home from work, shut the door and realise you won't see another living soul except the cats till the next morning? Go technology!

Geez come on folks it's a thread about a baking competition surely it doesn't have to descend into insults!!! If you don't like Shetlink then it might be an idea use it (not directed at anyone in particular), and I don't see the point of using Shetlink to complain about folk complaining on Shetlink. Thats quite ironic.

I'm really pleased for young Mr Morton. The whole family have been glued to the TV for the past few episodes. I've never been into baking but I've gone so far as to get the baking trays from the loft yesterday. I might even attempt my first fairy cake since school.

Best of luck to him in the final.

It seems odd to me that you find Twitter and Television "inane, brain-liquefying and coma inducing" and would rather "stick to real life" when it appears to me that you spend the majority of your time on the cyberspace of bile that is Shetlink! Quite a hypocritical view you have of Twitter and TV, don't you think?!

Ghostrider is unable to respond right now as He's dealing with food in real life aka attempting to destroy the kitchen/see how quickly the lurvely volunteers from the local fire station take to arrive as they see the smoke bellowing from His abode. Oh hang on a sec, that'll be the cigarette He's left on the window cill ...

... crumbs, I've just clocked the fact the lad was in a telly studio on his 21st birthday - now that IS sad!

... crumbs, I've just clocked the fact the lad was in a telly studio on his 21st birthday - now that IS sad!

I can't see anything 'sad' at all about marking your 21st birthday by winning the semi final of a televised national competition. I expect he had the opportunity to celebrate his win and his birthday in whatever way he wanted once the cameras were switched off.

Best post on turdlink for a long time :lik:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

It seems odd to me that you find Twitter and Television "inane, brain-liquefying and coma inducing" and would rather "stick to real life" when it appears to me that you spend the majority of your time on the cyberspace of bile that is Shetlink!

Clearly I have extremely little time, or then type exceedingly slowly if an average 2.7 posts per day constitutes the "majority" of my time.

Quite a hypocritical view you have of Twitter and TV, don't you think?!

No.

My feeling was quite the opposite - that's how to have a memorable 21st birthday. Not many folk can say they've done something like that however I suspect there's more than a few who couldn't even remember theirs.