A sad tale of Shetland

voicebox

Do you think the North Isles should all pull together?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think the North Isles should all pull together?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe

Fetlar has a a community council AND a development company for 70 people!

You see this as a problem ? Maybe you were not around before the Development Company existed and there were less than 70 people ?

A Community Council and Councilor that got you Broadband installed ?

A Community Council and Development Company that worked together to get you a new pier ?

I suggest you do a bit more research and fact gathering before you go much further down this path here.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You see this as a problem ? Maybe you were not around before the Development Company existed and there were less than 70 people ?

A Community Council and Development Company that worked together to get you a new pier ?

I suggest you do a bit more research and fact gathering before you go much further down this path here.

Both these projects were the result of decisions made before the current development company structure was in existence. Do your research.

But...

'so long and thanks for all the fish'

....the bigger picture is just not being seen.

Thankyou.

With all due respect, its kinda difficult to see anything when you make obtuse comments that aren't understandable in the context of where you appear to be trying to take this discussion. eg. A three part council in Yell, and Fetlar having a Community Council and a Development Company? The former, I think I can safely say, no-one is understanding what you're getting at in any size shape or form, and the latter, to be blunt, tell us something we don't know.

Yes, times are tougher, and they probably will get still tougher, there will be collateral damage. Some folk will fight it, some will run, some places will survive, some unfortunately probably not, regardless of how hard they may be fought for. Pretty much the normal evolutionary process of civilisation and habitation, but running on fast forward. What it is you're attempting to do to influence the final outcome though, really isn't coming across in your posts.

Both these projects were the result of decisions made before the current development company structure was in existence. Do your research.

But...

'so long and thanks for all the fish'

Oh yes, people come, people go, but the organisations are still there and generally for the same purposes.

Yell has three parts to the council - why is it not only one? North South and MiD Wards...

I'm asking these questions as to how unified we are, we have serious problems ahead and should be working together. Much of this is fact finding too, and folk have been helpful.

:)

Many Shetland Community Councils are split into wards - this ensures that each part of the area has input. What affects Mid Yell or Cullivoe may not affect Burravoe.

A community council has very little power or funds. A development company is neccessary to get in external funds and do work it would be impossible for the community council to do.

Thanks for that. I don't get out much, you know! :D

It's true. He doesn't! :)

Can I just say that I get very disillusioned very quickly on this forum, with some folk it seems that there is a real 'nastiness' under the surface... I'm very glad I'm not standing face to face with them!! Scary people...

Maybe that's why I run off! And it can be frustrating at times when people don't read!

It beggers belief that with such a small popuation we have such a proliferation of different parts of a council but nonetheless I take it on board that it is the current situation. As long as the Development Company is not at logger heads wiith the council then that is a start.

So my question - Is there a central committee for all the North Isles councils where they get together and talk about the coming problems in energy, ferries and schools? Or is it a just a case of every island speaks for itself in these matters? If there isn't then can I suggest that there should be?

:) :) ( you'd better answer quick before I run off! )

@ OP

Is there really a need for a further committee? It may well be the case that the community council members and indeed, for that matter, the individual SIC councillors representing the North Isles get together and already have discussions on the points you raise - which is no different to what the various Councillors do elsewhere within the Shetland Isles. For example, the 3 Councillors representing the ward I live in no doubt speak to each other - I bet tactical voting does go on!

I too, however, find parts of your postings to be dividing more than 'standing together'. Now whilst I don't want to be guilty as to what you appear to be accusing nameless forum members of, you, in turn, appear to be against democracy. This may not be your intention but to me, that's how you are coming across. The population of each North Isle has every right to want to look after their own 'corner', be it right or wrong. To me, you give the impression that they shouldn't be doing this and that you are hell bent on changing their opinions to be the same as the one you hold.

In addition, by suggesting that there is a committee just for the North Isles, it can come across as being dismissive of the problems faced in other rural areas of the Shetland Isles.

I'm not being nasty; I'm just pointing out how your posts can come across.

It beggers belief that with such a small popuation we have such a proliferation of different parts of a council but nonetheless I take it on board that it is the current situation. As long as the Development Company is not at logger heads wiith the council then that is a start.

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by "with such a small popuation we have such a proliferation of different parts of a council". If you mean the Community Council, please say so, as when the term "council" is used most folk think SIC. To make it clear quickly which is being referred to, they're generally referred to as [Area Name] CC, or SIC.

So my question - Is there a central committee for all the North Isles councils where they get together and talk about the coming problems in energy, ferries and schools? Or is it a just a case of every island speaks for itself in these matters? If there isn't then can I suggest that there should be?

The North Isles SIC Ward encompasses Unst, Yell, Fetlar, Skerries & Whalsay, and is represented by multiple councillors. One would assume that it was their role to discuss and represent the overall views and needs of all their constituents, not just one part thereof. Are you saying these councillors are failing/biased etc when it comes to fulfilling their remit? Have you discussed you thoughts with them, and explained your concerns, if you haven't, perhaps you should. Something like a Development Company or a CC are fine at a certain level, but you appear to be talking at a higher level here, in which case if its an entire North Isles issue IMHO you should be working at SIC councillor level, or if Shetland wide, at MSP or MP level.