rent rise

Redrobbie99

well thats the letter come with this years new rent price . moved into our 3 bed hjaltland house 2 years ago and in that time the rent has increased from £330 to now this years £398 ! am sure my pay has certainly not increased £70 a month oh but the shopping bill has....... sad times

How much does it cost to rent a 3-bedroomed house in the private sector in Shetland these days?

At least double :cry:

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

most people that rent privately only do it for the short term, social housing is usually for life. My point is that if my rent has now increased £70 a month in just 2 years then what situation are local authority renters going to be in a few years down the line ? will be paying on par of the private renter thats for sure and I for one cannot afford that. would be cheaper getting a mortgage but unfortunately thats not an option.

The trouble with the benefits being cut, landlords are realising that they can charge a little more. This has a knock on effect as social housing rates are, or should be set no higher than 80% of the market rent. The cost of single occupancy units that are privately rented are rising because they attract a full benefit entitlement up to the cap.

most people that rent privately only do it for the short term, social housing is usually for life. My point is that if my rent has now increased £70 a month in just 2 years then what situation are local authority renters going to be in a few years down the line ? will be paying on par of the private renter thats for sure and I for one cannot afford that. would be cheaper getting a mortgage but unfortunately thats not an option.

I can assure you that private tennents rents are also increasing, so I doubt social housing rents will ever catch up.

^ Its a reasonable idea in principle, but in practice just how useful is it really going to be. Folk having to live in places they absolutely hate or a distance out of town when they really want to be in town will probably generally be happy enough to snap up a house there. But for anyone already in town, especially Lochside and east, and living in a perfectly good house within reasonable reach of most things, I can't see many having much enthusiasm to move to (from a town dwellers perspective) the middle of the hill away from everything. Nor can I see many currently living outwith the town and not really wanting to move there, being happy to relocate to such a location.

I know there's a dire need for housing especially in the Lerwick area, and there's really little other sites any closer to consider, but until the area becomes a little more developed and established I don't think its realistic to expect anyone except those desperate to live as near the town as possible to have enthusiasm to move there, and especially not folk quite happy where they are who are being forced out of their house just because of some government ploy pulling the plug on part of their rent for dubious reasons.