sic sickness

Redrobbie99

I feel i must comment on the article about SIC staff sick days what wasn't mentioned was the fact that staff working in catering .care assistants etc are NOT allowed back to work for 48 hours after the were last sick.Another point not mentioned was the fact that SIC employees after a certain number of days off sick they deduct your annual leave of you oh yes i bet thats not factored into these figures.On the article itself it was like something you would find in the daily mail.Is the public being softened up for swinging cuts for those greedy, lazy SIC workers

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel i must comment on the article about SIC staff sick days what wasn't mentioned was the fact that staff working in catering .care assistants etc are NOT allowed back to work for 48 hours after the were last sick.Another point not mentioned was the fact that SIC employees after a certain number of days off sick they deduct your annual leave of you oh yes i bet thats not factored into these figures.On the article itself it was like something you would find in the daily mail.Is the public being softened up for swinging cuts for those greedy, lazy SIC employees

Fixed it for you!

I feel i must comment on the article about SIC staff sick days what wasn't mentioned was the fact that staff working in catering .care assistants etc are NOT allowed back to work for 48 hours after the were last sick.Another point not mentioned was the fact that SIC employees after a certain number of days off sick they deduct your annual leave of you oh yes i bet thats not factored into these figures.On the article itself it was like something you would find in the daily mail.Is the public being softened up for swinging cuts for those greedy, lazy SIC workers

What article?

It would have been interesting on why staff were off, as the sic is the bigest employer then the should also be the biggest employer with staff who have cancer, and other long term illness?

I'd like to know how many were off with work related stress? or the 48 hour after being sick which is the rules, you must stay off if you work in certain jobs.

Then i'd like to know how many were off one after a big event, a monday or even a friday. Thats the ones that needs to be sorted most!

lumping all staff into one isnt giving a totaly true picture.

I for one would be standing half dead at work, where others might be off with a sniffel or after a night on the booze.

Shetland might be sicker than we thought

From what I hear the problem is basically two fold.

1. There are some staff who blatantly abuse the system and are ruining it for the good people(incl those with genuine long term illness) whose days of sickness can be counted on one hand per year - if at all.

2. Morale is apparantly at an all time low in some departments and as a letter on The Shetland Times points out it's often due to poor management.

Another point not mentioned was the fact that SIC employees after a certain number of days off sick they deduct your annual leave of you

Really? how many days before they deduct from your annual leave? I'm surprised they can legally do this.

I'm pretty sure that's not legal. Indeed if you are unable to use up your annual leave because you are sick, you may be entitled to carry it over to the following year.

What I recall from my time at the SIC was that people would take annual leave rather than call in sick. There was a system of return to work interviews that meant you had to justify your sick leave to your boss. If the boss was unsympathetic or you did not wish to discuss your illness with them it was simpler to take annual leave.

From what I hear the problem is basically two fold.

1. There are some staff who blatantly abuse the system and are ruining it for the good people(incl those with genuine long term illness) whose days of sickness can be counted on one hand per year - if at all.

2. Morale is apparantly at an all time low in some departments and as a letter on The Shetland Times points out it's often due to poor management.

Simple then.

You forgot the solution.

We actively analyze every sick day taken by every employee to look for trends - and yes, they are pretty obvious in many cases. Some people use all their sick days before they ever take any holidays, others are the reverse.

Some always miss Mondays, some Fridays, some both days! :)

We will always interview the emplyee to discuss the trends and issues, and in some cases there are actually individuals with chronic ilnesses, that are struggling through life trying very hard to keep a job and make a living. Then there are the normal cyccles of sickness that go through any organisation or facility, and then, there's just life.

Then - there are the slackers that just use it as additonal holiday time and in many cases it is just one indicator of other workplace or productivity issues. Most change their behaviour once they realise they are being reviewed, but for a few it is better that they find a better career somewhere else, and we can help with that too!

We actively analyze every sick day taken by every employee to look for trends - and yes, they are pretty obvious in many cases. Some people use all their sick days before they ever take any holidays, others are the reverse.

Some always miss Mondays, some Fridays, some both days! :)

We will always interview the emplyee to discuss the trends and issues, and in some cases there are actually individuals with chronic ilnesses, that are struggling through life trying very hard to keep a job and make a living. Then there are the normal cyccles of sickness that go through any organisation or facility, and then, there's just life.

Then - there are the slackers that just use it as additonal holiday time and in many cases it is just one indicator of other workplace or productivity issues. Most change their behaviour once they realise they are being reviewed, but for a few it is better that they find a better career somewhere else, and we can help with that too!

See the bit in bold?

That's your problem. A ridiculous idea.

The private sector tend not have 'sick days' to 'take'. Dump them.

I'll lay good odds on attendance improving after you do it.

Many folk I work with will take annual leave instead of phoning in sick. There are stages that folk are put on and monitored. Systems are already in place, you may find that managers may need to follow them.

We have more jobs than officers now in some departments, there could be a possibility of penalties for non-compliance.

I wonder what would be the point in having a flu ridden member of staff in the office or someone stressed or depressed.

Your first point to change this is to change national agreements, do this then you could employ folk at a much lower calibre, because those who were good will go to where there are better conditions.

Typical policies of today, picking on the sick.