Homeless & at school?

MJ

After hearing a story from my daughter I've been left with quite a quandary. What safe guards are in place for 15/16/17year olds who find themselves homeless while still trying to study?

I know what's available in most local authorities, but not here, and it seems young folk here don't know what's available or how to access it.

I'm sure that the school in question can possibly be quite so lacking in it's pastoral care that the child/young adult was treated the way the teen gossip says.

So all you teachers out there, what happens when one of your pupils get thrown out of the their home & they want to finish their studies?

Obviously the JCH isn't an option for weekends, holidays etc. Not everyone has a family member willing to take them in, nor does it sort out the financial situation. The JCH is also only suitable for those attending AHS.

If you've left with the clothes on your back there's obviously a bit more to worry about than just a roof over your head.

I was kind of hoping that a secondary teacher or someone from the education dept could clarify.

you need to contact the duty social worker (they are at Hayfeild now) go and get an appointment and they will sort you out. When ever i have had to go there they have been briliant! Weekends in the hostel will be fine as the kids in the small islands dont go home every weekend, not sure what would happen in the holidays though.

good luck

Sorry obviously this was the wrong place to ask this question, thank you for your well meaning replies.

I was hoping that someone could put my mind at rest that this young person was an oversight and that things have changed since I was in a similar sort of situation.