Staneyhill Free Press, Sullom Voe Scene, Lek the Viking

Mammy chilli

I have heard about two publications that were around during the construction of Sullom Voe, and wondered if there were any others, either official or not?

I would also love to see some copies of the Staneyhill Free Press if any still exist - apparently it was sometimes hand-written. Old copies of Sullom Voe Scene would also be appreciated, to borrow, or buy.

And finally, does anyone have a copy of the article that was published in, I think, the Daily or Sunday Mail, circa 1980, about Lek the Viking? I would love to have a read of it if anyone can help?

Bill Jardine who worked at SVT was the author of the "Staney Hill Free Press" a superb hard hitting and downright hilarious monthly satirical "newsletter"

The "Free Press" name came along after his very first newsheet (1 page of A4) called "Terminal Tidbits" was banned by site mangement. He was staying in the Staney Hill Oil Camp at the time.

Anyway the free press raised thousands of pounds for charity of over the years it was produced and I understand it became supported by the SVT management in it's production.

Bill Jardine went on the publish a "proper" book called

Tales of Sullom Woe by Jardine, Bill

ISBN 10: 1858210917 / 1-85821-091-7

ISBN 13: 9781858210919

Publisher:

Publication Date: 1993

It is an excellent book written in the same style as the Free Press was. You may even recogonise folks you know.

• 6 months later...