Warfarin users.

bresail

May I suggest that all warfarin users, check out this website.

How to test – CoaguChek® XS System – Roche.

Navigate to "How to test", and ensure these direction are followed at your next inr test.

The time limit getting the blood droplet to the strip is crucial to avoid incorrect readings.

I have spoken to the Roche Mannheim office to ensure that I was correct, before posting this message.

I also contacted the NHS Shetland to warn them. I am still waiting for a reply.

Regards,

Rex.

• 2 weeks later...

sunny29

"Just wondering, is this not how your blood was being tested? It's the only way I've ever done it..."

So you check the batch number of the strip to make sure it is the same number as the machines reading and tell the patient?

You then ensure that the blood drop goes on the strip within 15 seconds?

I did not post this as an attack on anyone. I posted this as a warning to all patients to take care as things can be missed.

As a patient I will be aware of how much warfarin I'm given.

If I feel there is a possible problem, then I will let lt be known both to the professionals and the users.

I do however congratulate you for doing your job correctly as I'm sure most of our nurses do.

To fellow users be vigilant and keep safe, warfarin is a dangerous drug.

Your life can depend on correct procedure.

• 2 weeks later...

I have taken warfarin since the age of 9 I am now 40plus!!!! and I must admit the system that is used ie the coaguchek machine is amazing. I personally trust it and my GP and nurse 100%. I have had in the past to get blood taken from a vein then take the sample straight to the Gilbert Bain which at times was difficult living in the country.

I too have had a horrible experience of getting inr done whilst away. My sisters doctors practice still take blood from a vein and the nurse certainly didn't welcome me with open arms due to the lack of a suitable vein! Had a few dodgy places to get blood taken over the years earlobe toes and legs are not my favourites