Ferries

Heoga40

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its not as simple as that if you reduce the crews on the ferrys they have to reduce the passengers they can carry if you go from 5 to 4 crew on the ferrys you go from being able to carry 125 passengers by law to 50..

I might not have ever been on the 'right' ferry at the 'right' time but, do any ferries run with more than 50 passengers?

Its not as simple as that if you reduce the crews on the ferrys they have to reduce the passengers they can carry if you go from 5 to 4 crew on the ferrys you go from being able to carry 125 passengers by law to 50..

I might not have ever been on the 'right' ferry at the 'right' time but, do any ferries run with more than 50 passengers?

Yes, on Yell Sound and I can endorse what JustMe says. Just like the roads into Lerwick there is often more traffic going one way than the other. And that is not only early morning and early evening!

make it that you can only get on ferry if its booked in advance? then there would be no empty ferry. (obviously have to have something n place for emergency)

Fair enough.......as long as all you mainland types have to book in advance to use the roads outside your own area. Because ferries are a replacement for roads to those living on the islands that do not yet have a bridge.

i was looking at it more from the point of view as like going to the mainland on northlink, you cant get on the boat with a car without booking?
Probably can if there is room but it is just not comparing like with like. We are just moving about within Shetland and as I have already said those ferries are part of the road network in the same way as the Burra Bridge etc. In fact there is an argument in favour of making all the ferries free in the same way as the Skye bridge.

i was looking at it more from the point of view as like going to the mainland on northlink, you cant get on the boat with a car without booking?
Probably can if there is room but it is just not comparing like with like. We are just moving about within Shetland and as I have already said those ferries are part of the road network in the same way as the Burra Bridge etc. In fact there is an argument in favour of making all the ferries free in the same way as the Skye bridge.

If you are just 'moving about' within Shetland, why not make a noise about the completely inadequate bus service that does not meet up with the ferries? Because you own a vehicle, it does not follow that the SIC must provide you with a means of getting about between islands. After all, they don't pay for your fuel etc. Are they (the ferries) really 'a part of the road network'?

As for the Sky Bridge, I wouldn't go there if I were you. We seem to be living in a community that wants everything for 'free'. Heads up... NOTHING is 'free' because someone, somewhere has to pay for it.

As for the Sky Bridge, I wouldn't go there if I were you. We seem to be living in a community that wants everything for 'free'. Heads up... NOTHING is 'free' because someone, somewhere has to pay for it.

Toll free on the Skye bridge? A vote grabber for the SNP. :wink:

The answer to that is yes Colin the Bressay ferry the Leirna does every working day of the week.. :roll:

The truth is we have a Rolls Royce ferry service in Shetland.

Would the likes of Fair Isle, Skerries, Foula and Papa Stour not be okay with one return trip to the mainland per week?.

Or, why not have the Filla doing a weekly round Shetland service?.

Monday Fair Isle, Tuesday Foula, Wednesday Papa Stour and Thursday Skerries.

Similarly, would one of the super ferries doing a shuttle service on Yell Soond not suffice?.