Shetland Football- the future

nufsta

Association invites suggestions on future of football in isles <--- Quote from shetland times article by Neil Riddle on 2nd October

Just wondering if anyone actually had any suggestions for the future of shetland football??

Or was this just a knee jerk reaction of the commitee after lossing to Orkney?

My view would be to have a 3 tier promotion/relegation league set up. I know this would take a lot of organisation and may result in teams being easily beat for a few years but it would soon sort it self out once teams had found their place.

It could also mean the scrapping of the B-league.... which or at least turning it into a friendly league just for B teams.

I think for this to work squads would be capped at 25 players each.

This could lead to the creation of a couple more teams around the isles.

This is just a suggestion so dont slate it too much :lol:

Anyone else have any other suggestions?????

Leave it exactly the way it is. This year has been really close between several teams and the quality is as good as it was two years ago. Just because the county didn't do so well for one year doesn't mean the quality isn't there. A lot of boys who didn't get a chance in the county this year would have made all the difference in the game. To name a few andrew flett, duncan fraser and connel gresham. However there is not enough decent quality players in shetland to start a third tier in these leagues. Another reason which has probably affected the county team a lot this year is the fact that the whalsay team haven't been as good this year as they were in 2010 or even last season. Shetland football in my opinion is good how it is.

I dont think it was a knee jerk reaction to the county result, more to do with Orkneys plans to enter Highland competitions as a club, this in theory could have given them a few games over the winter, but they got knocked out of the first competition and the next one is in March.I agree with the above.

Too many cups and compititions; too many different groupings ie works league etc...streamline things by having 3 competitions during the season; one league and 2 cups; the one league decide on how many teams in each group, and then spilt into divisions with 2 or 3 depending on how many in each; 2 probably; with promotion and relegation 1 up 1 down each season; we would then all know whats what we would take an interest in the league positions as the summer progressed and would generally be far more interesting.......

and get the county team whether by highland league stuff or otherwise to play more games....once year against orkney just isnt enough; commitment to 2 or 3 cup competitions on the mainland would lead to 3/4 games at least a year. There was a huge crowd for cove v shetland and that kind of interest can be generated again and again with some good planning.

I would love to know how many players are registered in the Shetland football league and the works league. I bet there are a lot compared to the amount of teams.

Also I wouldn't mind knowing how many players some of the teams have registered to them! I bet it is more than they would ever need!!

I would love to know how many players are registered in the Shetland football league and the works league. I bet there are a lot compared to the amount of teams.

Also I wouldn't mind knowing how many players some of the teams have registered to them! I bet it is more than they would ever need!!

Celtic A/B total 41, number of players not playing at least one game 0

Delting A/B total 37, number of players not playing at least one game 3

Ness Utd A/B total 37, number of players not playing at least one game 2

Scalloway A/B total 46, number of players not playing at least one game 1

Spurs A/B total 48, number of players not playing at least one game 3

Thistle A/B total 46, number of players not playing at least one game 0

Whalsay A/B total 44, number of players not playing at least one game 0

Whitedale total 42, number of players not playing at least one game 0

Unst total 32, number of players not playing at least one game 7

Yell total 35, number of players not playing at least one game 2

total number of players registered 408.

^Unfortunately at the guts of £300k a pop synthetic pitches would be hard to find funding for.

thats only ~£13 a head ;)

:lol:

If folk bitched like hell about an arts centre I can only imagine the pandoras box opened by footballers asking for a new pitch. :shock:

I reckon Lerwick could do with an artificial pitch but I can't see the council or recreational trust stumping up for it.

Unst total 32, number of players not playing at least one game 7

well, i know that these figures are slightly misleading, and a number of the players who did play more than one game this season didn't play all that many. In reality we had a squad of 13-16 players who could be relied upon every week, due to a variety of reasons.

One of the things I would suggest to benefit the B league and make it more entertaining and competitive, would be to ask teams not to play any of the 'first 11 A players' against the single team clubs (who have no A team players). I feel that this would even the playing field slightly without troubling these clubs numbers too much (only 4 games a season), also surely it would increase the competitiveness and enjoyment for everyone in the league.

I have played in successful and unsuccessful teams in the past, and for me hammering another team 8-0 is not really much fun, nor is losing 8-0.

Just a thought.......

I note with interest that Deveronvale knocked Stirling Albion out of the Scottish Cup last weekend. Isn't ironic that Shetland beat Deveronvale a few years ago and also drew with the then Highland League Champions. I think we are over reacting to one bad result.

The pursuing of inter-island football is too expensive. Shouldn't we be pushing as hard as possible to get Highland league competition as it is of a higher standard and cheaper.

I would also remind some people that quite a lot of players refused to make themselves available in last years county i.e. Gresham, Wilson and Molloy to name three. Get behind Nial Bristow

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Following the public meeting at the Shetland Hotel and the subsequent ‘Football Forum’ during Shetland Sports Week, it was agreed that a strategy to look at the complete picture of Shetland Football would be developed in order to drive the local game forward in a joined up and structured way.

A steering group was formed with the remit of developing the structure of the strategy and pulling together information at each stage of its development.

The first phase of developing the strategy is to look at the ‘Vision’ and ‘Priorities’ for Shetland Football. We would like to therefore offer you the chance to share with us what you believe should be the vision and priorities for Shetland Football. Below is a link to a Survey Monkey questionnaire, which addresses questions on both the vision and priorities.

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/N2BWMV3

This is a great opportunity to have your say on the issues that you believe are key to our local game and help to shape a document which can help Shetland Football have a very bright future.

The cut-off pint for submission of the questionnaire is Friday 28th December.