CB Radio

jambo6

I was doing some googling yesterday and it seems that OFCOM are saying that AM & SSB will likely be legal in the UK by the end of next year. It sparked a bit of interest in me and I was wondering if anyone is still using CBs non-commercially in Shetland, and is anyone likely to get involved again once the new regs are in place?

I was doing some googling yesterday and it seems that OFCOM are saying that AM & SSB will likely be legal in the UK by the end of next year. It sparked a bit of interest in me and I was wondering if anyone is still using CBs non-commercially in Shetland, and is anyone likely to get involved again once the new regs are in place?

Used to be well into CB until I got fined for using

AM & SSB....

Used to be well into CB until I got fined for using

AM & SSB....

I never had an AM/SSB rig but I was using a power amp and built my own aerials to try and catch the skip. I wonder if thats what they named Skype after?

I never had an AM/SSB rig but I was using a power amp and built my own aerials to try and catch the skip. I wonder if thats what they named Skype after?

Never used anything other than radio power because most of the amps were 'dirty' and splattered across a number of bands.

Used to build my own wire antenna though. Best was a 2 element 'quad' supported on bamboo canes. Also made a triangular variation. Both were incredibly effective. There were that many aerials that, at times, my house looked like a Russian trawler.

Best contact with 2 ele + 1/4 watts (a quarter of a watt) was into Tasmania..

• 3 years later...

Did think about it and morse wasn't a problem because I had already managed to achieve some (very slow) success with it.  Just thought that there were far to many "rules and regs" surrounding Amateur Licenses.

Anyway, I was more than happy working with ordinary(?), low powered, basic equipment.

As an aside;

I see that SSB is now permitted on some CB frequencies..  Might get going again if I ever get enough free time.

• 3 months later...

Its been a while but as far as I can remember AM and SSB CB transmissions were/are already illegal in the UK. The licensed frequencies were FM, meaning they were much restricted in range. 

Initially lots of the AM and SSB sets were around, probably imported from states, but latterly most people used the "legal" units.

Still have a home base, mobile set and a handheld !

The whole point of CB was that there were lots of people "on" . Not much point if you are the only one on and prepared to talk. Many people "earwigged" but never said anything

no doubt hoping to catch some gem of info, but not contributing to the CB community. CB radio served its purpose well in the pre mobile days, Shetland even secured a special dispensation

to be allowed to play live music over the CB after an extended campaign. If you are interested in radio comms probably now best to opt for ham radio.

Edited by marlin13

AFAIK, AM & SSB are now legal to use on the old "naughty forty" whilst the "UK Allocation" is still FM only.

The range achievable using FM wasn't, to the best of my knowledge/experience, that much different to SSB.  Although SSB packed more "punch" it was all pretty much dependant on prevailing conditions.

Biggest problem for long distance FM comms was that the UK was the only country in the world to use such a weird(?) allocation. 

eg;

The UK band channels were from 27.60125 Mhz and up whilst most of the rest of the world used channels from 27.405 and up.  They just didn't hear us....

Another problem was that the permitted(?) antenna spec was for a pretty restrictive bottom loaded 1/4 wave.  Pretty good for local stuff but, not the best for long distances as it's radiation pattern was to steep to the horizon.  Best vertical type was a 5/8 wave.  Bit on the big side but, worked a treat with it's fairly low "delivery angle".

Without a doubt, some of the local "chatter" was quite amusing.  Unlike some of the local idiots who attempted to disrupt others.

A classic from times go by..

Me natter, natter, natter,

Mo natter, natter, natter

"Breaker Break"?

Me Yeah, who is that

Breaker "Crazy Daisy"

Me, "what can we do for you/"

Breaker "I'm looking for a man"

Me, "Yeah, what kind of man"

Breaker "well, he has be be fairly well off"

Me, "Yeah"

Breaker, "Needs to be reasonably good looking"

Me, "Yeah"

Breaker, "He needs to have a 10" willy"

Me, "Over to you Mo (remember Mo), I'm not taking 2 inches off mine for anybody"

I'm afraid that after that, all the idiots piled in so, me and Mo went SSB

Edited by Colin