Children In Need/Jimmy Savile

Kavi Ugl

I see the publicity for this year's Children In Need has started but due to what's happened at the BBC of late in relation to Jimmy Savile this sits a little uncomfortably with me.

The BBC have basically been found guilty of harbouring a paedophile(300 possible victims so far) and now they want the public to dig deep and give money to their children's charity!.

Even today the BBC have had to issue an unreserved apology for wrongly naming Lord McAlpine in an abuse case and it just seems as if they haven't learnt a thing and don't know when to stop digging.

They were in the firing line and their responce is to wrongly accuse an innocent man in relation to the same issues!!.

Now, I'll hold my hands up and say that Ive never been a fan of Children In Need because of a) the draconian licence fee B) the fact that the BBC makes billions of £ per year from it and c) why should the poor man on the street give from their paltry wage/pension when the BBC is living in extravagance and paying their "stars" millions?. Why not just donate the money from the billions they get from the licence fee?.

Nevertheless. I ask this in an open and honest way but will the recent events have an effect on this year's Children In Need?.

I think you'll find Jimmy Saville did the abuse (and others?), not the BBC, other media, NHS or Prison hospitals. Granted I'm sure many find it hard to sleep after apparently turning a blind eye to such abuse, and so they should.

I see the phenomenon of Children in Need as another other issue.

The BBC have basically been found guilty of harbouring a paedophile(300 possible victims so far)

Nothing quite like being found guilty before a Trial eh? Or is this trial by media? Oh yeah, the alleged is dead so can never defend himself against any allegations, can he?

Abuse is abhorrent but I'm not comfortable with accusing someone who can't defend themselves either.

As for Children in Need, never watch it.

I think you'll find Jimmy Saville did the abuse (and others?), not the BBC, other media, NHS or Prison hospitals. Granted I'm sure many find it hard to sleep after apparently turning a blind eye to such abuse, and so they should.

I see the phenomenon of Children in Need as another other issue.

Saville had to die before this scandal got out – how the hell did he get away with openly abusing for over 30 years – Establishment cover up?

Original Newsnight exposure of Saville was blocked - Establishment cover up?

Credible Newsnight investigation of the Welsh scandal now by hitherto responsible and experienced journalists now rubbished and discredited – victim has to apologise!!! - Establishment cover up going to heart of government or even further now in full swing?

It is often the case with sexual abuse, that the perpetrators never face justice. Many many people have experienced abuse during their childhood, and do not have the vocabulary to describe what is happening to them at the time it is taking place. In many cases, children only become aware during sex education inadolescense that what was happening to them was wrong, and by then it is often too late to obtain "forensic evidence" as the abuse was historic. Our legal system makes it extremely difficult to convict the perpetrators, if there is no forensic evidence (bodily fluids present). This does not mean that the abuse did not take place, nor that the police have not believed the allegations, it is rare that anyone makes up such a story, its just a sad reality that we as a society fail to recognise that just because a person has not admitted that they have abused someone (criminals rarely commit crimes in broad daylight with witnesses!), or by the time the person disclosed the abuse evidence is no longer available - this does not mean that it didnt happen. In the case of Jimmy saville, it is apparent that he was indeed a predatory paedophile, who used his power and status to control, manipulate and abuse so many people. It is with attitudes of doubt that we become part of the problem for survivors of sexual abuse, i urge everyone to be part of the solution - If you suspect a child or young person has or is experiencing abuse, or you are an adult survivor, tell someone, get support, remember support is empowerment.