Budget Gaming PC's

sadie j 54

I'm fairly interested in PC's for gaming, your question is a little vague though so here's some feedback.

1) What does the £500 include - is it just the box?

2) Would the price include an OS?

3) What level of spec would you be offering for £500?

4) What support would be included?

Is this a Shetland based company for Shetland sales, or are you looking at exporting? The margins on inexpensive PCs are pretty low and most gamers are savvy enough to get at least 5 years out of a PC by upgrading a few bits here and there, I would imagine that this, along with the 2 existing outlets in Lerwick, would make it quite difficult to build a good market based solely in Shetland

I think, and its just an opinion, that the current economic downturn means that the majority of software companies are not developing new game engines, they're using existing ones to a) Keep cost down & B) Ensure their games are playable on the widest number of machines possible. My own PC is 3 years old, I upgraded the gfx card last year, and I dont see any need to replace the PC in the next couple of years because of the above.

The knock on effect of this is that the need to upgrade is at its lowest for a long time.

I also think that the newer Intel processors with onboard graphics are going to kill the low-end gaming machine market within the next 2-3 years. I have a Dell latitude laptop with onboard Graphics 3000HD (The chipset was released 18 months ago) and its more than capable of running MMO's, if Intel keep moving in this direction then all entry level machines will have reasonable gaming capability by 2015.

Sorry if that sounds negative, just trying to suggest potential pitfalls which you may well have already covered yourselves.

I just had a quick look on Amazon and found what I consider to be very much an entry level bare bones system for £370 including VAT.

Built very much to to a minimum spec. that will support modern games titles. This however excludes the operating system, monitor keyboard and speakers etc.

Add another £80 for an oem operating system and thats £450.

I dont want to discourage you but I priced the individual components from as cheap a source as I could and saved by lowering the spec slightly.The components alone came to over £500 without considering the operating system and carriage. This also ignores the build and software install time.

It is possible to build a system that plays games for less than £500 but it could by not be properly described as a gaming system.

There are loads of them on the market for less than £500 and they come complete with everything you need. Plug in and go. They are called laptops. You can buy complete desktop systems that will do the same job.

There are also systems that will play games very effectivley for less tham £500. They are called playstation and xbox.

Hi would anyone be interested in a new company selling budget gaming pc's for around £500. Me and my friend would like to start a new business selling them so just to see how would be interested thanks.

save your money, you could count on one hand those in Shetland that might buy one from you and forget about wider afield you would just never compete

I'm fairly interested in PC's for gaming, your question is a little vague though so here's some feedback.

1) What does the £500 include - is it just the box?

2) Would the price include an OS?

3) What level of spec would you be offering for £500?

4) What support would be included?

Is this a Shetland based company for Shetland sales, or are you looking at exporting? The margins on inexpensive PCs are pretty low and most gamers are savvy enough to get at least 5 years out of a PC by upgrading a few bits here and there, I would imagine that this, along with the 2 existing outlets in Lerwick, would make it quite difficult to build a good market based solely in Shetland

I think, and its just an opinion, that the current economic downturn means that the majority of software companies are not developing new game engines, they're using existing ones to a) Keep cost down & B) Ensure their games are playable on the widest number of machines possible. My own PC is 3 years old, I upgraded the gfx card last year, and I dont see any need to replace the PC in the next couple of years because of the above.

The knock on effect of this is that the need to upgrade is at its lowest for a long time.

I also think that the newer Intel processors with onboard graphics are going to kill the low-end gaming machine market within the next 2-3 years. I have a Dell latitude laptop with onboard Graphics 3000HD (The chipset was released 18 months ago) and its more than capable of running MMO's, if Intel keep moving in this direction then all entry level machines will have reasonable gaming capability by 2015.

Sorry if that sounds negative, just trying to suggest potential pitfalls which you may well have already covered yourselves.

Hi i was just seeing interest not selling them now

Hi would anyone be interested in a new company selling budget gaming pc's for around £500. Me and my friend would like to start a new business selling them so just to see how would be interested thanks.

save your money, you could count on one hand those in Shetland that might buy one from you and forget about wider afield you would just never compete

yeah i just want to set up a buiseness to earn some money cause i am a gamer and want a job selling things

to be fair a pc for £500 will prob be only to play a few of the newest games on a horrid setting making it look crap.i have built a few pc's in my time and have yet to see a good £500 gaming pc that will last. most only last a year and cant keep up with the graphics of games

can i bee cheeky and get the specs just so i can see what you are putting together

• 2 weeks later...
to be fair a pc for £500 will prob be only to play a few of the newest games on a horrid setting making it look crap.i have built a few pc's in my time and have yet to see a good £500 gaming pc that will last. most only last a year and cant keep up with the graphics of games

can i bee cheeky and get the specs just so i can see what you are putting together

it was just interest all the pcs would be different in there own way so i have no clue

gaming utilizes 4 cores (any processor with 3,2 or 1 core will struggle with framerate issues and you will need to get some amazingly good air cooler or just use water cooling as it will make the temps rocket up) and to pick up a quad core intel processor is a bit more expensive, even though intel processors are miles better than amd there is still some good quad processors like the black edition 965 which a really good processor

gaming on a pc can not be done cheaply as you will end up frying your computer with spikes in temps, lower processing speeds which causes framerate issues etc...

plus the evolution of gaming has come a great way in the past 8 years and is still moving on pretty fast.

crysis was what gamers did their benchmarks on as it was the most demanding game (that was in 2007), now its metro 2033 or BF3

that means if you buy a budget gaming pc you will only be able to play new games for around 6 months to a year on the lowest settings :(