Driving in Shetland

Heoga40

While on the subject of driving, the GOV have released a National consultation on the Speed Limit Extensions for other service. At present, many can use blue lights but are still not to break the speed limit. The consultation documents puts the case forward for Lifeboat crews, Coastguards, mountain rescue, live tissue couriers and so on.

Here we have the Blood Bikers, they transport tissue, notes and baby milk around our county, they can display blue lights but cannot exceed the limits, even after training.

The consultation is a simple process but there is some reading to do.

Please, take a look...

https://www.gov.uk/government/consultations/speed-limit-exemptions

• 3 weeks later...

I can't believe this,

http://www.shetlandtimes.co.uk/2012/12/16/new-50mph-speed-limit-on-main-road-through-girlsta

Another white elephant like the one that used to be at the Swedish houses at the head of Weisdale Voe and was eventually removed?.

The road itself is the problem and that's what they need to vastly improve, not waste money putting in a "50mph" zone...... :roll:

I can't believe this,

http://www.shetlandtimes.co.uk/2012/12/16/new-50mph-speed-limit-on-main-road-through-girlsta

Another white elephant like the one that used to be at the Swedish houses at the head of Weisdale Voe and was eventually removed?.

The road itself is the problem and that's what they need to vastly improve, not waste money putting in a "50mph" zone...... :roll:

Kavi Du's right about the road it is a bad stretch, but the issue with the weisdale Voe speed limit was it was 30mph on a straight wide bit of road and it was so short a distance.

The Girlsta one however is on a blind bend with a dip in the road and with at least 4 junctions, one of which is quite blind to come out off. Given the amount of accidents there, I agree something needs to be done in the short term. However will many adhere to any new speed limits :cry:

I can't believe this,

Let me get this straight, you think spending hundreds of thousands re-engineering the road is preferable to spending a few thousand putting up a couple of signs. Without finding out first whether the couple of signs would solve the problem.

You have a very strange concept of "waste".

Guest Lone Wolf

Good idea, these stretches are not well designed pieces of road. The Girlsta bit can be a little treacherous with obscured views due to trees etc. It also has solid white lines which gives some idea of the lack of visibility ahead.

The bends north of Kalliness are dreadful, they are not smooth corners and you have to constantly adjust your steering mid-bend. That is very dangerous.

The Laxo-Tagon stretch has two sharp bends, although one of these is in a 50mph zone so isn't a problem. Going north the first sharp bend arrives after a nice stretch of road with a decent surface and very smooth bends easily taken at 60mph, so can catch out the unwary.

Talking of roads what has happened to the surface of the A970 road immediately before you enter Lerwick from the south. It was only resurfaced a few months ago and has already fallen apart. Took me over an hour to clean all the tar off my car the other day.

I can't believe this,

Let me get this straight, you think spending hundreds of thousands re-engineering the road is preferable to spending a few thousand putting up a couple of signs. Without finding out first whether the couple of signs would solve the problem.

You have a very strange concept of "waste".

It is not the road that is the problem, drivers are.

There are ways to force drivers to slow down, as it seem they need forcing. Rumble strips work well as do road markings. Sticking to the speed limit as well could help. Reducing the speed limit, the news in the paper, the solid white lines and experience should tell the driver, it is dangerous and should be driven along with care and due regard to other road users.

Let's be honest, a couple of signs(there's no way that's all it will be) will in no way improve things because nobody will pay attention. Some might not like to hear that but it's the cold truth of life.

I said waste, because what will happen is they'll spend thousands on minor irrelevant "improvements"(signs, road markings etc) rather than just bite the bullet and improve the whole road/area.

Yes, I have raised the issue on here(really to just let off some steam about it) but it's almost pointless speaking about it because the SIC won't listen to a word you say anyway!.

Let's be honest, a couple of signs(there's no way that's all it will be) will in no way improve things because nobody will pay attention. Some might not like to hear that but it's the cold truth of life!.

I agree that some will not slow down, and the problem is they are already doing well over the 60 limit. :shock:

I drove back from Brae in the snow last week and on clearer straight bits I realised I had crept up to 60mph, but still vehicles were flying past at 70/80! :wink:

• 2 months later...

Yesterday I saw an unpleasant incident on road, in that incident a person broke the traffic rules and hit a car, the disgusting thing is that that person was not aware about traffic rules properly. I can't understand how these stupid guys get a driving license. We must have deep knowledge about all traffic rules and driving skills before driving.

When im driving home I tend to get people over taking me when im slowing down and signalling to go into the road by my house(as im slowing from a a 40mph rd onto a 30mph rd) and they are carrying on up the hill to head to gulberwick area. One of these days one of these big bully cars are going to crash doing this. Ive seen a few near misses there. They also tend to be right up your backside on that stretch of road trying to make you go faster.

The police and courts seem to be of the opinion that its the insurance companies job to sort it out

I would think it would be about police/courts time. It is only when folk get hurt do these accidents or acts of selfishness become reportable and blame apportioned.

The cost to the tax pay can be quite large, especially in hit and runs on street furniture. The public also suffer losses if their property is damaged in a similar way.

Down here I see folk doing the same as up there, they play chicken with my gritter/snowplough yet the very reason I am out there is because conditions are worsening, they still want to overtake at ridiculous speeds.

We will never be able to change some folks attitudes while they drive, some saying speed limits should be increased or even removed. I have said this before, humans are not built for speed, they have to be very well trained. Even the best trained will have to wear goggles on a motorbike or when using a cold chisel.

These folk rely solely on other folks reactions, they therefore put the onus on the slower driver to react in their favour, they themselves have little skill.