Driving in Shetland

Heoga40

Well after my saying about people driving right up your backside on the road goings out of town past sound school. This lunch time while we were driving home and the lights were flashing for 20mph we had a small car gesturing us to drive faster. Usually this would not bother me but then they OVERTOOK us!! Sped right up the hill. The car was full of teenagers grinning and laughing at the window. Discusting!

• 1 year later...

I have been looking at the plans on the Councils Planning for the new roundabout in North Lochside.

Must say I feel sorry for anyone living in the houses between the junction Bruce Crescent and Anderson Road as they will have to cross an even busier road now to get access to their vehicles.

Will not be handy taking in the “helly”errands if one has pushchairs and young bairns and possibly elderly folk to contend with as it will be difficult to even stop outside these houses.

Probably the roundabout could have been just a little bit more to the west leaving just enough room to park a car outside these houses.

Guess the school must be built no matter who or what it disturbs!

• 11 months later...
  • 1 year later...

20 MPH limit to be introduced from top Church Road to the North Ness roundabout.(if I got that correct)

If I really thought this was required I would probably agree with it but this is just another unnecessary restriction being imposed on us motorists.

I will be lucky to get out of 2nd gear burn more fuel cause more pollution,then again may just avoid the area all together. Guess that is what they want. 

a) during the working day its nearly impossible to get up to 20 MPH, but before 8.30 and after 6pm , I see the bairns snoring up the road at 50+

B) Personally I am more worried about being squashed by a blue badge holder on Commercial Street. Probably time the street was closed to non-delivery vehicles. 

Maybe it would have been more sensible to spend some money and fix the towns Traffic lights which have been unreliable for a many years now, how many of those bumps and accidents the council mentioned were a direct result of their incompence in addressing this serious issue which unfortunately will not go away with the 20mph limit, where else in the country would a local authority get away with this total ignorance and incompetence.

Maybe it would have been more sensible to spend some money and fix the towns Traffic lights which have been unreliable for a many years now, how many of those bumps and accidents the council mentioned were a direct result of their incompence in addressing this serious issue which unfortunately will not go away with the 20mph limit, where else in the country would a local authority get away with this total ignorance and incompetence.

You are absolutely right think of the thousands that was spent years ago installing these lights and now they are about to spend thousands again .

It's total nonsense especially when we are told that the councils are strapped for cash albeit it is mainly funded from other sources.

And as for this pedestrianization of the street, I was on it one day the other week and was the only soul there. 50 yrs to late if you ask me.

• 2 weeks later...

Would it not make more sense to spend this £41000 or what ever it is, employing a Traffic Warden to help enforce existing legislation rather than impose more unnecessary constraints on traffic on the street.

He or She could also carry a speed gun and camera thus eliminating the need for all those stupid proposed humps and bumps.

Probably a few warnings and if necessary a few fines might be all that is required to solve what some folk other than me see as a problem.

A Traffic Warden would also be able to give friendly advice to tourists regarding where to get buses,ect ect.

It has been reported that a Speed gun does not work on the esplanade due to line of sight restrictions,

Traffic warden wouldn't be required if the Shop owners stopped themselves and there own staff from parking in the esplanade area and used the old swimming pool carpark instead for example. leaving the parking free for those who just want to pop to the street for a birthday card or similar....