Driving in Shetland

Heoga40

With another accident reported at Brig O'Fitch surely it is time a roundabout was installed with a lane system allowing  vehicles to continue there journey without having to wait while others are waiting to turn into Scalloway ect.

Probably nothing left in the kitty after installing all those humps and bumps in the town  :evil:

This I believe would make it safer.

With another accident reported at Brig O'Fitch surely it is time a roundabout was installed with a lane system allowing  vehicles to continue there journey without having to wait while others are waiting to turn into Scalloway ect.

Probably nothing left in the kitty after installing all those humps and bumps in the town  :evil:

This I believe would make it safer.

As far as I can see it’s impatient and poor judgement, and all at not the busiest time too. Besides many drivers here can’t seem to use the lanes on the roundabouts in Lerwick, they drive slap bang down the middle of the divider for each lane. So what are they going to be like with 60mph lane, well let’s look at the black gate? Park your car and have a sit and count how many people indicate before actually entering it. I find when I am trying to get out of it most people only start to indicate well after they got in the turn box. Yes both junctions are not the best at busy times but I don’t think they can be improved. For example I don’t think many people up here will understand the concept of zip merging. But in order to change the road layout for this or a roundabout is going to cost, and I don’t think the cost of modifying it for the 4x 20 minute busy times to save 2/3 minutes for drivers would be money well spent, as lets face it they will inevitably spend tens of thousands on just survey work then say no. But if they do start to make changes it will inevitably be worse as the budget will get slashed part way through. Then we will end up with a rather strange thing like the new Anderson school roundabout with its rather odd single lane on the south entrance but all the others have 2, and again very few drivers indicate or position themselves correctly.

The problem with "zipping" basically overtaking (at speed) is it keeps autoglas in business repairing windscreens as your vehicle picks up the little stones in the middle lanes and pings them at the car behind you.

If the junction markings were better laid out I'm sure there would be less accidents .

When I drive especially bigger vehicles ,when turning right I hold back a few meters so that anyone on my left and turning left can get a clear view and exit safely while I wait for the traffic to clear and allow me to turn right. 

Road markings could be better positioned to allow this to happen at all junctions with "lanes".

The problem with "zipping" basically overtaking (at speed) is it keeps autoglas in business repairing windscreens as your vehicle picks up the little stones in the middle lanes and pings them at the car behind you.

If the junction markings were better laid out I'm sure there would be less accidents .

When I drive especially bigger vehicles ,when turning right I hold back a few meters so that anyone on my left and turning left can get a clear view and exit safely while I wait for the traffic to clear and allow me to turn right. 

Road markings could be better positioned to allow this to happen at all junctions with "lanes".

I can see your point. But I don’t think there’s much improvements that could be done. A roundabout you would need to slow traffic and I feel there would be more rear ends on the Tingwall and Lerwick sides. the roundabout would have to be huge as well to accommodate the speed of vehicles entering it.  Other options would be for over or underpasses, but the cost would be extreme as you need to accommodate not only for cars but busses, trucks and the occasional tractor. Even if the road markings were made even more clearer I do not think it would stop most accidents we see currently. example video @3:39 below. It’s very clear where the problem is.

https://youtu.be/cH1IG7ry378?t=209

• 5 months later...

Its winter again and the usual story icy roads and vehicles sliddering all over the place ,some just managing  to stay on the road while others unfortunately end up in "da stank".

I have been driving for many years and used to put on studded tyres,during the winter months and this in my opinion was a great help and made driving a lot safer,but like many things they are now banned in the UK ,or as far as i understand.

There was some problems of course with driving on studs mainly with studs flying out and ones grip was reduced on dry roads but if used correctly and not going to fast they were a godsend.

Should we ever get weather like we used to get many years ago I fear many modern vehicles will have to stay at home as I doubt if there is room under the wheel arches to fit  set of chains ,which on occasion i also used..  

• 1 year later...

So the Council is going to spend some money "upgrading" the Tesco roundabout.

As someone who regularly uses this particular roundabout not only driving, but occasionally on foot I fail to see any problems with it and cannot but be concerned about what difference any alterations will make.

Surely there are more needful places where this money would be better spent 

Agreed, the roundabout seems to work fine, even at the busy times around 5 o'clock  weekdays I can get the way I want to go whatever direction I'm travelling. 

On foot crossing at the sound exit seems easy enough, Could they use traffic lights and pedestrian crossings near the approaches, maybe, not sure, it might make things better. What are they proposing?

18 minutes ago, Capeesh said:

Agreed, the roundabout seems to work fine, even at the busy times around 5 o'clock  weekdays I can get the way I want to go whatever direction I'm travelling. 

On foot crossing at the sound exit seems easy enough, Could they use traffic lights and pedestrian crossings near the approaches, maybe, not sure, it might make things better. What are they proposing?

I have no idea what is proposed , but feel it to be unnecessary, then again I might be pleasantly surprised . 

Where's the Council roads people suddenly come in to a bit of money from. Did an elderly relative die and remember them in their Will.

They seem to be in a 'spend, spend, spend' mood anyway, they've even managed to get Tulloch's sent out to replace the thick with rust waterlogged road signs round here. Its only been something like 3 1/2 years since the most rotten of them blew over in a gale. If we've managed without that long and no problems, I'm not sure we really need them.....

Oh yeah, and they finally managed to fill a pothole thats been there for 10 years......

Whatever they have planned for the Tesco Roundabout, it'll be grandiose for sure. Whether its useful or a white elephant though, is probably 50/50 at best.