The Shetland eagle story

Kavi Ugl

Hmm, I don't know about if an eagle would kill it's prey first. I would imagine the talons would kill most prey. I guess we're just dealing with folklore!.

I seem to have a vague memory of a stack named "Ern Stack" and it was connected to an eagle.

No, it is a true story. The baby didn't die because the eagle sank its talons into the hap. The only details to be confirmed is where the eagle found the child - but maybe it happened more than once? The "ern stack" you are thinking of might be SE of Bressay, Brian Smith wrote about it in New Shetlander, if Brian is still monitoring the forum he might provide some more details...

The "ern stack" you are thinking of might be SE of Bressay, Brian Smith wrote about it in New Shetlander, ...

That article was indeed about locating an historic place with an eagle derived name in Bressay, and does not relate to the North Isles tale. The article was "The facts in the case of Arentsburg" and it appeared in the Summer 2010 edition.

The descendants of Mary Anderson and Robert Nicolson are all recorded in the Old Haa at Burravoe = very interesting reading!

Robert(o setter)Johnson wrote a booklet on it while he was in the archives,it consists of the story and the family tree.

I don't know how many copies were made but he gave one to my dad.

Practically everybody with roots in Yell or Fetlar are descendants.