up helly aa

da kiddy

That sounds like a good idea, if people want it off they should take a days holiday.

Lots and lots has been written about this already on Shetlink, so I'll just point out again a couple of the problems with dropping the Wednesday holiday. Firstly, there would be a humongous shortage of available bus drivers due to so many having worked through the night. Accordingly, of all the days in the year for the SIC to designate as a local holiday, the Wednesday looks least problematic. The second point is that it is not an "extra" holiday, so dropping it would not be a simple matter.

^

Do you also think Christmas ought to be moved to the weekend? If not, why?

In any case, I think you'll not find much support from those involved. I certainly haven't noticed any dissent at any of the October mass meetings when the date for each festival is proposed ;-).

a rumour is gaining momentum that the SIC is scrapping the public holiday after lerwick up helly aa and it will save in excess of £300,000 in lost work!!

They better revise their "save" figure, I doubt the town and the SIC employees within its population are in any fit state to produce much more than 1% of that value of work on that day.

Good story to wind up the UHA faithful though, I will cede that much. :wink:

^

Do you also think Christmas ought to be moved to the weekend? If not, why?

In any case, I think you'll not find much support from those involved. I certainly haven't noticed any dissent at any of the October mass meetings when the date for each festival is proposed ;-).

Because Lerwick Up-Helly-Aa is not Shetland wide whereas Christmas is so argument invalid

Also, are you sure it is not an extra holiday? I think you'll find SIC have a generous public holiday entitlement. Even if it is, nowadays it is more approriate to take flexible public holidays along with statutory holiday entitlement

Far more sense to be like all other parts of Shetland and have it on a Friday wi a hop on Saturday, sleep on Sunday and back to work on a Monday

Traditions can be changed in the modern world we now live in

Because Lerwick Up-Helly-Aa is not Shetland wide whereas Christmas is so argument invalid

Is the hoilday on Wednesday Shetland wide though? I've heard people who work in the isles talk about them getting the 'Up Helly Aa holiday' at other times of the year which suits them better.

Also, are you sure it is not an extra holiday? I think you'll find SIC have a generous public holiday entitlement. Even if it is, nowadays it is more approriate to take flexible public holidays along with statutory holiday entitlement

SIC staff get 5 public holidays, 2 at Xmas, 2 at New Year and one at Lerwick Up Helly Aa. All other public holidays are built into their annual holiday entitlment. I believe that in the rest of Scotland New Year is a 3 day holiday for local government, but the SIC shifted the extra day to Up Helly Aa.

I was working for the SIC when they balloted all staff about Public Holidays.

Think it was about 2000?

The choices were -

a} 2 at Christmas, 2 at New Year, and add the other 6 on to Annual Leave.

b} 2 at Christmas, 2 at New Year, Day after Up Helly Aa, add 5 onto Annual Leave

c} Keep the then-status quo of all 10 days the 'set' /national public holidays.

d} Employees have all 10 added onto their Annual Leave with no set / mandatory Public holidays.

The majority vote was for option a}.

... so the Council introduced option b}... Why did they bother balloting, we wondered?

That sounds like a good idea, if people want it off they should take a days holiday.

Lots and lots has been written about this already on Shetlink, so I'll just point out again a couple of the problems with dropping the Wednesday holiday. Firstly, there would be a humongous shortage of available bus drivers due to so many having worked through the night. Accordingly, of all the days in the year for the SIC to designate as a local holiday, the Wednesday looks least problematic. The second point is that it is not an "extra" holiday, so dropping it would not be a simple matter.

And da last Wednesday iz da date. Tuff turd Yokks.