Electricity Usage

sheltie68

I have not long moved into a 3 bedroomed house with night storage heaters and panel heaters in bedrooms and immersion hot water tank, my energy usage is avg. 50 units - over period 7.30 am - 7.30 am costing £5-£6 a day I think this is really very high - what are you all averaging - maybe I am out of touch a little and this isn't to bad! I am turning things on and off and up and down to little avail! Would appreciate your input.

I use to pay £80 per month, even £106 at one stage a month in a 1 bed flat with two people. It isn't easy to do a like-for-like comparison as you don't say how many people live in the house, how many baths are run a day, number of appliances, and so forth.

We ended up turning off the immersion at night as it would come on around 1am on the cheaper rate and then again around 6am (when we turned it back on) - who on earth wants a bath at 1am? By turning the immersion off at 1am, the bill reduced significantly.

You might find it cheaper to install a shower that heats the water itself.

Yes I appreciate it is difficult to do a comparison - its just interesting to see what other people find acceptable to be paying - The Hydro suggested I pay £60.00 a month I said £80.00 now upped that to £100.00 and may have to up again to £120.00 - I think I may have an unrealistic view of what I should be paying.

Guest Lone Wolf

I lived in a 3 bed detached last year in Lerwick (built in the 1950's). Same as you it had storage heaters and an immersion. Usage was about 80 units a day over winter, half of that in spring and lower again in summer (less than 30 units). Only one person in the house and I like the house to be cooler than most.

At todays prices that a range of about £75 to £200 per month (about £1550 per year). I now have a much larger and newer house with oil central heating and spend a little less (about £1450 per year for oil, electric and gas)

Thank you all - maybe I am not doing so bad after all I will keep my eye on it though and see if I can get it down - I check it daily at the moment - just found out how to change the times on the immersion heater and reset it myself - it was on for 5 hours through the night - I don't need that even at the cheap rate.

wow shetlink is slow tonight.

Okay 1st hydro can supply you for free one of those electricity use meter thingies that the government wants everyone to use to help manage their energy use. They can help you figure out where all the lecky is going. http://www.hydro.co.uk/iplan/

2nd the CoOp today droped their energy prices, unlike the telephone thing being with a different "energy supplier" should mean no disadvantage. Same power, same supply route etc just cheaper bills http://www.cooperativeenergy.coop/ there are other suppliers out there, but with the 2-4p difference per unit it soon adds up.

hydro http://www.hydro.co.uk/OurPrices/

coop http://www.cooperativeenergy.coop/assets/documents/price-list.pdf

Guest posiedon
paulb

we are paying £220 a month. with a calor gas cooker and solid fuel fires.

Are you serious? We have a three bedroom house running three freezers, a fridge, washing machine, tumble drier, dish washer pluss other appliances and lights, for less than £15 per week. (Prepaid meter)

If I was you I'd be getting my meter checked out.

paulb

we are paying £220 a month. with a calor gas cooker and solid fuel fires.

Are you serious? We have a three bedroom house running three freezers, a fridge, washing machine, tumble drier, dish washer pluss other appliances and lights, for less than £15 per week. (Prepaid meter)

If I was you I'd be getting my meter checked out.

Must be lighting up the whole west side... :D

We have moved into a 3 bedroom house and our bills are the same, costing approx £55 per week with pre-paid meter - also being careful and keeping an eye on what is swithched on. I spoke to the hydro as I find this very expensive.

Had a very helpful advisor who also thought this was probably too much so they are sending an engineer to check the meter and possibly swop it for one where you pay direct debit as this qualifies you for an added discount. Hope this may be of some help.