Electricity Usage

sheltie68

we are paying 220 a month. with a calor gas cooker and solid fuel fires.

I have a gas cooker, solid fuel heating, immersion, electric shower and only pay £60-£80 per month.

There must be something terribly wrong with the way you 'live' :?:

Why "terribly wrong"? There may be reasons. Just because Paul pays that amount, no need to label him and the way he lives.

we are paying 220 a month. with a calor gas cooker and solid fuel fires.

I have a gas cooker, solid fuel heating, immersion, electric shower and only pay £60-£80 per month.

There must be something terribly wrong with the way you 'live' :?:

Why "terribly wrong"? There may be reasons. Just because Paul pays that amount, no need to label him and the way he lives.

Just typical of you to pile in with an 'observation' that contributes absolutely nothing to the discussion.

My post offered information relating to my own personal circumstances and was not intended to 'label' or be critical of PaulB at all.

Just trying to help so, if you, or anyone else read it that way, tough...

Colin, another observation would be your 3 posts were about having a dig at folks, so tough.

You can turn the thermostat down on the immersion, again, it is all about personal choice. Of course, what you can afford.

I am amazed at the £15 a week, it shows it can be done. I remember my Dads bill a quarter being nearly £900, this was because my Mam was not very well and he had not installed the town heating.

It may be worth looking at other suppliers and the efficiency of your house, never hurts to add insulation.

our house is rated g. with about 5k of internal wall insulation and the replacing of the open fires with multifuel stoves we reduce to an E. we are going to do the fire bit but can't do the first. but yes its time for them to check the meter. they fobbed us off in the past. i would love to see the rebate if their meter was wonky.

An E rating is still quite high. Rebates from solar/wind on the property could be affected, I was sure I read something to that end. No doubt some one will know.

You can ask for the meter to be checked, they should do it. If not there should be a number on the bill that you can ring. Failing that, change suppliers, you will get a new meter then.

It may be worth looking at other suppliers and the efficiency of your house, never hurts to add insulation.

Afraid you are incorrect there, SP. If sufficient insulation already exists, you can over insulate which can lead to condensation problems.

You can turn the thermostat down on the immersion, again, it is all about personal choice. Of course, what you can afford.

Well yes you can except that a change made by those who want to keep us safe from germs has made the minimum setting on new thermostats rather hotter than it was. In fact rather hotter than I like it but I guess it is something I am stuck with.

Failing that, change suppliers, you will get a new meter then.

Don't think that's true! At work we seem to change suppliers every year and i've not seen them change a meter yet. They just read the existing ones and carry on.

They have come and changed mine on 3 occasions when I changed supplier. Costs nothing to flip suppliers to get the best price or a guaranteed price.

Afraid you are incorrect there, SP. If sufficient insulation already exists, you can over insulate which can lead to condensation problems.

condensation is caused by poor ventilation not over insulation :roll:

Yup, when we helped do the cottage in Lerwick, my Dad, surprisingly used loads, but, maintained an air gap between the outer stone wall and the inner wall, 3 layers in the end I think.

Hmm, all that hot damp air causes condensation as well, new build houses are forgetting that and causing excellent conditions for dust mites to thrive, dust mite poo not good for you. Bring back sash windows and roaring fires.

condensation is caused by poor ventilation not over insulation :roll:

I was being 'brief' - it can be a combination of both too much insulation and poor ventilation. Should we also be discussing warm roof/cold roof, flat roof v mansard, the different types of insulation, the additional weight of insulation material, etc.? :wink:

I too can be brief. B_________

Mind I am sure many wish I would, but, new word, tough!

You can have as much insulation as you want. Don't know about insular though.

You can also have any roof, as long as it is well insulated, has a solar array and the means to mount a small turbine to offset the costs.

SP, you are wrong. However, you obviously know far more than the trained, qualified building surveyors, all members of RICS, for whom I type up building surveys on practically a daily basis. Would you want a ceiling to collapse? Flat roofs usually are insulated from the exterior and that is a factor to take into consideration and also different insulation material manufacturers recommend different thicknesses. Yes, ventilation is important but to use a blanket statement that you can have as much insulation as you want is just plain wrong. The devil, as they say, is in the detail.