Electricity Usage

sheltie68

Afraid you are incorrect there, SP. If sufficient insulation already exists, you can over insulate which can lead to condensation problems.

condensation is caused by poor ventilation not over insulation :roll:

I was being 'brief' - it can be a combination of both too much insulation and poor ventilation. Should we also be discussing warm roof/cold roof, flat roof v mansard, the different types of insulation, the additional weight of insulation material, etc.? :wink:

that may be but in most cases is caused by poor ventilation, you could have tons of insulation but as long as there is adequate ventilation it will not condensate

that may be but in most cases is caused by poor ventilation, you could have tons of insulation but as long as there is adequate ventilation it will not condensate

Fair point, but sometimes people just think of condensation in the roof void and not the entire house and forget to take into account cavity wall insulation, etc., so whilst you might not get condensation in the roof void, add into the mix that they forget the basic things like using cooker extractor hoods (and many a time don't even vent them to the exterior) and have their central heating on yet don't say leave windows on their night latches, thus leading to condensation elsewhere within the property. In other words, the whole property and how it is used needs to be taken into consideration. I appreciate that these are ventilation issues but what I'm trying to say is it is a case of not just ensuring that the roof is properly ventilated.

Anyway, hasn't it been proven that going wayyyy above the recommended amount of insulation is a total waste of money?

Oh look a builder (well chippie), thank you for putting in your expert knowledge just watch the bickering continue regardless.

I have been trying to figure it out has the OP actually got the answer to their original question?

@unlikedstudent i totally agree, showers are probably the worst contributor to condensation problems especially when there is no extract fan, the amount of windows that i have seen that have black slimy mould growing on the inside is ridiculous and the cure can be as simple as opening the window or in some cases the trickle vent at the top

Just a little update - after a checking the meter and changing things for 2 weeks I have got everything set and my usage has gone down. My storage heaters are set - but the output is closed the whole time (I was advised to keep this half open!) My immersion is only on for 2 hours in the middle of the night and the timers on the heaters in the bedrooms have been set. Got it down to around £30.00 per week. My costs when I first got in were up to £45 -£50 a week. If I could get myself organised and get the machines on in the middle of the night I guess there would be a saving there too.

You can also turn down the water temp of the water heater, if you have to add lots of cold water because it is too hot, then it probably is. There will be an adjustment on the immersion its self, though I would advise taking advise, if you do do it yourself, turn it off. There should be a DP switch.

When I had storage heaters, I found it best to store them up and use them gradually. The saving come is the less time it takes to heat them. It also means that if there is a problem with supply, you may have enough to keep you warm for longer periods.

Yes I agree with you it took me a few days to get the storage heaters up to a good heat that I could close the output completely I have them set between dots 3 and 4. And I hardly ever open the output at all. My immersion heater is run through Newlec Electronic 7 - so I just changed the settings myself. Hope this helps anyone else that is trying to watch their usage. It has been interesting trying to get mine down as much as I could. Would still welcome any other tips.

Waiting for Shetland Heatwise to come and give the house a going over so that should be interesting.

Well done on the reduction, should have said in previous post.

You can get thermally insulating liners for walls, though they can be an expense. One of the things we did was to put a reflector between the wall and the heater.

I also installed ceiling fans, as we know hot air will sit high, we used the fans to circulate the hot air. Certainly made a difference.

• 1 year later...

We have just had the Hydro round to read the meter this afternoon. Afterwards we asked the guy what reading he put in and husband noted it on a piece of paper. An hour later I got torch and steps and took a reading myself for our own records only to discover that the fellow from the Hydro had misread a 6 for an 8 which would have resulted in an extra 2000 units (400 quid) on the bill.  :shock:

You can register as a customer on their website and manage your account online instead of sitting waiting in a phone queue - I just did that last week.

You can send in up to date meter readings, adjust your Direct Debit payments etc. and get an up to the minute bill / statement.

Today someone {with a Key-meter} showed me the money-back voucher SSE Scottish Hydro sent him 2 weeks ago.

He said it was something to do with them not subsidising wind power?

I cannot find anything on their website at all.

Has anyone with a non-key / Electric Bill-type meter had anything from them?