Serco Ferry

Frances144

That's the RMT announced the dates of strike action.

http://www.shetnews.co.uk/news/6019-ferry-crews-will-strike-this-month

Three Fridays and Three Sundays which will be busy sailings with all the weekend xmas shoppers. Could mean a boom time for the local retailers!

I must say I have some sympathy for the crews here as Serco do seem to be bulldozing through whatever they please.

DOUBLE STRIKE EACH WEEK?

SAME AS NON-SAILINGS WITH BAD WEATHER

DON'T WANT TO MESS UP THE 'MASTERS DECISION' ON GETTING CREW CHANGE DAYS OUT OF SYNC!!

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote="chookyargyll"]Okaydokay, lets have a look at at serco's "offer". First off, 36 catering staff made redundant. The vast majority go back to the good old days of P&O and are very experienced seamen who cannot stomach the new serco regime who are refusing to accept the terms and conditions carried forward from both P&O and Northlink which were negotiated and carried out in good faith by both employers and employees. This will lead to undermanning of the ships on both the Aberdeen-Shetland, Scrabster-Stromness route. This means that the passenger carrying certificate on both the Hjaltland and Hrossey will be reduced to a maximum of 350 passengers. Almost every weekend both boats carry more than what will now be allowed. When this was pointed out to Stuart Garett that there was always a possibility of fog, snow or any other unexpected occurance (ash cloud ?) which would close the airports in Sumburgh and Scatsta, and which would mean more passengers trying to travel by boat than the passenger certificate will allow his reply was, and I quote "We will leave them on the quayside" When this contract was awarded to serco it is no longer a lifeline service but is now a business driven to make profit for the serco shareholders.

Next their much vaunted and screamed from the rooftops "exciting" new refurb and Gastropub experience.(Nandos will not be amused to find they are being quoted in the same breath as this bunch of cowboys!)

Mr Garett has stated that the refurb for both boats has cost £ 1 million,

but to put that into perspective the company were quoted £ 1 million to chip and paint the CAR DECK on each boat at the last dry dock. The refurb is nothing more than a cosmetic makeover that re-uses the recliner seats and relocates them in another area. For instance in the cafe area the carpets and seating which is now almost 11 years old are not being replaced and this is one of the busiest areas on the ship.

They are doing away with the very popular A la Carte restaurant and replacing it with an "airport" style lounge. All very good as long as you can afford to pay the £18.50 admission charge, then your meals will be charged seperatley. They are limiting the number in there to 50,but as there is only around 30 comfy seats I would get in there early!! The drive for profit clearly comes at the price of comfort.

The reclining chairs which have been relocated to the forward bar and outside the shop should come with a health warning, as well as 4 point seatbelts to keep the passengers in the seat.

The new "sleep pods" which have been fitted are all well and good as long as you can afford them. They are £18, £20 and £22 dependant on the season you travel,per crossing.

The cafe will only serve breakfast on production of a £10 breakfast voucher.Anyone that just wants a cup of tea and a bacon roll will have to go to the bar for this. (oh I forgot to mention, tea-that will be £1.95 please,bacon roll? sausage roll?egg roll? that will be £3.40 each please!) The whole new "gastropub" experience also comes at a price. All meals onboard are going up in price by between 15 and 20 % Coffee starts at £2.20 per cup. Fancy a pint to while away a couple of hours on your journey? That will be £ 3.80. A bottle of Magners? £4.80 please.

The seats in the cafe and both bars are being fitted with dividers every second cushion to stop people from stretching out and sleeping on them.Serco have stated that every person travelling will have a numbered seat, berth or cabin so there will be no "camping out" allowed.

The new wifi they have stated they will have is not possible to fit aboard the ships at this time. Meanwhile they are looking into the possibillity of charging for what is at present free. The showers which they are shouting about are being charged at £5 for 5 mins. If you need a towel you pay a £3 deposit which is returned when the towel is returned

P&O and Northlink rightly prided themselves on the fact that they did not charge for amendments or cancellations to your travel arrangements as Islanders needs to travel can change with the weather. Serco on the other hand, are introducing an amendment charge. This is £10 for changes made six months to two weeks before travel. Two weeks to one day before travel, this rises to 50% of the TOTAL booking charge, PLUS £10 charge. No travel forfeit all payment.

In conclusion, how can serco state they will be having an improved service when they have cut 36 front line jobs,cut 2 freight boats to 1,do away with a popular restaurant, cut the dry dock/maintainance schedule,shuffle about a few chairs and are in the process of cutting shoreside/terminal jobs ??This is all about the bottom line

http://www.shetnews.co.uk/news/6019-ferry-crews-will-strike-this-month

Nuff said :shock:

at the end of the day SERCO are there only to make a profit

Let me rephrase that for you:

at the end of the day nearly every single viable business is there only to make a profit

Is this a new trend on here then, let's mess with people's quotes? Or are you insinuating, JAS, that Greenman edited his post?

at the end of the day nearly every single viable business is there only to make a profit

Is this a new trend on here then, let's mess with people's quotes? Or are you insinuating, JAS, that Greenman edited his post?

The point JAStewart is making is crystal clear, to me at least anyway, and I suspect to any other reasonable person too. The change made to the original quote is absolutely apparent and, I would suggest, could only be missed by the most ornery and belligerent. Try as I might I am unable to find a sniff of any insinuation within the post.

The point JAStewart is making is crystal clear, to me at least anyway, and I suspect to any other reasonable person too. The change made to the original quote is absolutely apparent and, I would suggest, could only be missed by the most ornery and belligerent. Try as I might I am unable to find a sniff of any insinuation within the post.

I'll withdraw the comment re insinuation as I now note that the OP had not edited his post. Moi? Ornery? Well, I never knew I looked that cranky but cheers! :thmbsup I'd have said I was being pedantic but there ya go - rephrasing is one thing but then no need to 'quote'.

There had not been an industrial dispute on ferry services to the Northern Isles for 30 years. In the 6 month since Serco have taken over this is the second ballot for strike action!!!!!! Maybe Serco need to to look at replacing the MD,because to me it looks like that appointment was a wrong un.Only my humble opinion of course.

I was a shop steward for several years dealing directly with serco on a variety of management levels, During that time they were professional and always conducted themselves in a professional manner and before you go to the table make sure you have crossed the t`s and dotted the i`s because sure as hell Serco`s legal team have, Make sure what you are throwing into the mixer is relevant and factual as again they will research it and tear it to shreds if its not.

The RMT hmmm like any fulltime union rep Bob Crow is flexing his pecs and mouthing off, you are actually taught in your shop steward training to get up and walk out of meetings ! really conducive to settling grievences !

In my humble opinion one is as stubborn as the other i have read Bob Crow doesnt put the X in the box, No he doesnt but he does tell the shop stewards what to go back and tell the members ?

Thankfully I am no longer a shop steward, its a thankless task your damned if you do and damned if you dont, Serco out to make money yes ! same as any other business ! not really that unusual !

Someone mentioned giving money back to the Government from any profits ! yes Serco certainly gave back 15% of any pre tax profits across any and all of its contracts when I had dealings with them whether they do or do not now I could not say.

Both Serco and the RMT are stubborn RMT banging on about job cuts and price rises Serco saying were running a business and we want it to run at a profit ? Neither are wrong really !

At the end of the day I dont see a huge long thread on here about the Framgord job losses or indeed malcolmsons or Hunters fish ! it is sadly the economic climate we are in and where would we be if the government did not subsidise the ferry ? we would be paying through the nose as we do for most things for living on this lovely little Island we call home and getting on with it as we so famously always do !

Excuse the spelling and punctuation :) any comments welcome just felt d need t air me views having dealt we Serco for 6 years ! can see it from both sides and unions and their reps aint no saints and saviours !

I was a shop steward for several years dealing directly with serco on a variety of management levels, During that time they were professional and always conducted themselves in a professional manner and before you go to the table make sure you have crossed the t`s and dotted the i`s because sure as hell Serco`s legal team have, Make sure what you are throwing into the mixer is relevant and factual as again they will research it and tear it to shreds if its not.

The RMT hmmm like any fulltime union rep Bob Crow is flexing his pecs and mouthing off, you are actually taught in your shop steward training to get up and walk out of meetings ! really conducive to settling grievences !

In my humble opinion one is as stubborn as the other i have read Bob Crow doesnt put the X in the box, No he doesnt but he does tell the shop stewards what to go back and tell the members ?

Thankfully I am no longer a shop steward, its a thankless task your damned if you do and damned if you dont, Serco out to make money yes ! same as any other business ! not really that unusual !

Someone mentioned giving money back to the Government from any profits ! yes Serco certainly gave back 15% of any pre tax profits across any and all of its contracts when I had dealings with them whether they do or do not now I could not say.

Both Serco and the RMT are stubborn RMT banging on about job cuts and price rises Serco saying were running a business and we want it to run at a profit ? Neither are wrong really !

At the end of the day I dont see a huge long thread on here about the Framgord job losses or indeed malcolmsons or Hunters fish ! it is sadly the economic climate we are in and where would we be if the government did not subsidise the ferry ? we would be paying through the nose as we do for most things for living on this lovely little Island we call home and getting on with it as we so famously always do !

Excuse the spelling and punctuation :) any comments welcome just felt d need t air me views having dealt we Serco for 6 years ! can see it from both sides and unions and their reps aint no saints and saviours !

I'm sure the people you dealt with were very professional,unfortunatly the same can't be said for the management they have put into Northlink.The previous management spoke to the unions.The Ferries ran without any trouble.Garret should be removed and some one who is willing to negotiate and not dictate should be brought in.

anyone who is booked on the 30th aberdeen lerwick run be aware that if you have to change to the 2nd of jan sailing you will have 2 pay £8.60 as it is in the new year prices we had to book the 2nd as we are unable to do the 29th sailing. I think its a joke that I have to pay this as it is not my fault but northlink say they are not responsable for tha strike so wont let you off with the £8.60.

as a current union rep. i am steward and h&s rep, the union i am in has NEVER taught us to "walk out " of a meeting, in fact quite the opposite. negotiation is the key to being a successful union rep. strike action is the absolute last resort. i do ask though have ACAS been involved in the negotiations between serco and rmt

I think this is a case of the bad (RMT) calling the bad (SERCO) bad. But as far as I understand it the RMT members on the ferries voted in favour of industrial action and then the RMT selected dates that would hurt the people of Shetland and Orkney far more than they will hurt the RMT, RMT members and Serco.

So here is a challenge to the RMT members. Do not strike in the run up to Christmas or New Year........or Up Helly Aa. Tell your union you refuse to do this because it hurts your customers too much and instead have some faith in the Scottish Government to ensure that Serco plays by the rules or loses the contract.