Serco Ferry

Frances144

Serco have broken the law at least 252 times. This with one contract. They were guilty of altering GP records to help with chronic under staffing. We have to be very wary of this monster. Although claims are that it is a British company, it started life as a out reach of an American company.

If you read the portfolios it holds, it is only constitutions that keep them from running a council.

My worry would be that Serco could do the same again, with the safety of passenger numbers, I would worry that crew levels could be manipulated to increase the numbers of passengers, unless of course there was systems in place to stop that happening. I then think back to the security operatives, are they used in the formula of passenger numbers?

Just Me, I wonder if Serco could run during the strikes, if it lets things get that far.

"If the RMT insists on proceeding with this industrial action we will be looking to maintain as many services as possible to minimise disruption to the public, particularly given the difficulties this action could cause to people's travel plans over the festive period."

The Union has a right to protect the interests of its members, that is why it is there. TUPE agreements are indefinite, what happens is that T&Cs change and staff have to re-apply for their jobs, this can be done with 90 days notice.

"Serco NorthLink has advised that the current consultation exercise will look at all available options. We would encourage the RMT and their members to engage fully with Serco NorthLink to find a resolution to this dispute."

From what we have read here, this seems also to be problematic.

Quotes from http://www.heraldscotland.com

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also feel that there are millions out there that would jump at the chance of a job on one of those ferries and more still that would want a payrises in excess of 4%.

speaking from a marine background (merchant navy) my brief time at north link was the worst money i'd been on for my entire career, mariners are highly qualified professionals that take years and thousands of pounds of often self funding to gain certification, if serco arnt willing to pay them what there worth they'll leave or fight for more as there still a very desirable commodity in the job market...

cant comment on hotel staff but i'm sure there not on superstar wages either...

these strikes will affect me as it will us all and i'd love to see the scottish government put an end to them but i dont think theres a que of staff waiting in the wings

Unfortunately they will be a steady supply of folk ready to grab jobs across all ranks. They won't be paying tax in the UK, or spending a penny while working over here, welcome to the disposable workforce from the Latvian crewing agency. These folk are quite happy to work at a moments notice as the wages they earn in the UK give them a very comfortable existence in the Eastern European countries. The ferry companies like them as they have little in the way of a union, employment contract's are non-existent, no need to pay into pensions funds, and there's an seemingly endless supply of crew. Safety would be my concern, getting foreigners in as and when passenger numbers dictate will lead to a lack understanding and constancy with safety procedures and ships emergency systems. This is not what we want on one of the longest and at times dangerous ferry routes in the uk. Local jobs for local people!

I can promise you all that there is no way on this planet that the MCA would let any new crew walk on to any ship and let them operate it without proper familiarisation training for that specific vessel , if the existing crews are all in it together I can't see how it would be possible for a scab crew to walk onboard and make it work if they haven't been trained by the present crew ,even if they did it would take weeks to change a complete crew out .

So let me get this right - we're about to suffer 9 days of strikes because Serco are going to honor a previous awarded 4+% pay rise this year and next, and are going to make no compulsory redundancies and have seemingly already received enough volunteers already which they are letting go on significantly better terms than the statutory minimum.

Um.. remind me again of the issue??

Are the RMT seriously of the opinion that the current operation has no room for improvement and the business should employ people whether they have a full job to do or not? This is a £60m turnover business that looses the best part of £40m per year - a gap us tax payers are plugging, and should be plugging, because no commercial operation could possibly work as there is nowhere near enough business to make it viable. That's why its a lifeline.

But as a taxpayer, i want my publicly funded services run as efficiently as they can be. There's plenty of opinion on this forum about SIC and it's 'non jobs' and how they should be striving for efficiency to save £33m. Northlink is no different.

So let me get this right - we're about to suffer 9 days of strikes because Serco are going to honor a previous awarded 4+% pay rise this year and next, and are going to make no compulsory redundancies and have seemingly already received enough volunteers already which they are letting go on significantly better terms than the statutory minimum.

Um.. remind me again of the issue??

Are the RMT seriously of the opinion that the current operation has no room for improvement and the business should employ people whether they have a full job to do or not? This is a £60m turnover business that looses the best part of £40m per year - a gap us tax payers are plugging, and should be plugging, because no commercial operation could possibly work as there is nowhere near enough business to make it viable. That's why its a lifeline.

But as a taxpayer, i want my publicly funded services run as efficiently as they can be. There's plenty of opinion on this forum about SIC and it's 'non jobs' and how they should be striving for efficiency to save £33m. Northlink is no different.

Your post should have Serco press release stamped all over it!!!!

One other thing before you go shouting about your taxes,Serco are up there with Amazon, and Starbucks, in the dodgy accounting business ,next time your talking to them ask them how much as a group Serco managed to avoid paying in taxes.

Quote from a previous contributor ....

"Serco have broken the law at least 252 times.

This with one contract. They were guilty of altering GP records to help with chronic under staffing." And your happy enough to let them run your lifeline service.

Chookyargyll, ruidh it seems pretty clear that you work for Northlink. I'm also going to take a guess that you have for a number of years. This probably is a big part of the problem - you're stuck in a time warp working out of date practices and have lost touch with the modern world which has moved on a great deal from the 1980's.

JMC appears to make some good points if what we are being told is accurate, no compulsory redundancies, anyone leaving is getting generous severance terms, a company that is actually being prudent with tax payers money. Personally I can't see what Serco are doing wrong here. If they were proposing unsafe work routines or undermanning the boats the MCA wouldn't allow it.

I've heard that there are sailings with more crew sailing than passengers - is this correct.

Over 4% pay rise with another one to follow. You guys are out of touch with the rest of the country. It's time you gave yourselves a shake.

Sounds to me that this is more about the RMT and some self promotion from these two that keep making statements. Is it true that there jobs are up for re-election next year.

What is your real issue - are you concerned that you might have to work like the rest of us for your wages

Chookyargyll, ruidh it seems pretty clear that you work for Northlink. I'm also going to take a guess that you have for a number of years. This probably is a big part of the problem - you're stuck in a time warp working out of date practices and have lost touch with the modern world which has moved on a great deal from the 1980's.

JMC appears to make some good points if what we are being told is accurate, no compulsory redundancies, anyone leaving is getting generous severance terms, a company that is actually being prudent with tax payers money. Personally I can't see what Serco are doing wrong here. If they were proposing unsafe work routines or undermanning the boats the MCA wouldn't allow it.

I've heard that there are sailings with more crew sailing than passengers - is this correct.

Over 4% pay rise with another one to follow. You guys are out of touch with the rest of the country. It's time you gave yourselves a shake.

Sounds to me that this is more about the RMT and some self promotion from these two that keep making statements. Is it true that there jobs are up for re-election next year.

What is your real issue - are you concerned that you might have to work like the rest of us for your wages

Another Serco press release.

Funny you and Jmc have just signed on to this Forum !!!

I wouldn't call sitting behind a desk pushing a pen around, work.

If you were employed in a certain role with P&O but when Northlink took over, they decided your job no longer existed but transferred you to another job on the same P&O pay rate, then Serco came along and decided to make you redundant, would you like it, as opposed to 'moving you sideways'?

From the limited amount of times I've met with staff onboard the boats, I have to say they are bloody hardworking.

Neither a pen pusher or Serco, just concerned about family plans and Christmas with them. No interest in postings before your actions would impact directly on my family.

It seems to me, unless I'm totally missing something, that serco have been tasked with a contract that involves reducing gov subsides. They have done this by getting volunteers for redundancy. Therefore those that want to stay and those that want to leave go with a few quid in their pocket. What exactly is the unions issue?

Why is there the need to threaten to spoil the festive season for ordinary families with threats of strike when it appears the matter has resolved itself?

Over 4 % of a pay rise suggests that it's a decent enough job in today's climate.

Without jumping down anyone's throat that dares to have a different opinion that you can you explain why there is the need to strike. It's being suggested that t&c's are being changed. What are the changes as redundancy is different from changing t&c's as far as I'm aware

There are wider issues than those you have mentioned. Serco have said they can cover the trips, or will try. To be honest, change your bookings. Alas, it seems to be the "oh but we will suffer an inconvenience". Serco need to get talking. To be honest, we would never know if you or your family will suffer. You are anonymous. You could just be making it all up. :?

Neither a pen pusher or Serco, just concerned about family plans and Christmas with them. No interest in postings before your actions would impact directly on my family.

It seems to me, unless I'm totally missing something, that serco have been tasked with a contract that involves reducing gov subsides. They have done this by getting volunteers for redundancy. Therefore those that want to stay and those that want to leave go with a few quid in their pocket. What exactly is the unions issue?

Why is there the need to threaten to spoil the festive season for ordinary families with threats of strike when it appears the matter has resolved itself?

Over 4 % of a pay rise suggests that it's a decent enough job in today's climate.

Without jumping down anyone's throat that dares to have a different opinion that you can you explain why there is the need to strike. It's being suggested that t&c's are being changed. What are the changes as redundancy is different from changing t&c's as far as I'm aware

I haven't had a Christmas at home for the last 10 years,but then that's the nature of my job.

A 4% pay rise is good ,it was negotiated as deal over 3 years ,and there was no talk of strikes or being dictated to.The management at the time negotiated, as did the management in the P&O days. No trouble for 30 years untill now,ask yourself why.

I personally hope that there isn't a strike, and that you and everybody else can spend Christmas with their families, but unfortunately the fear is that T&Cs are next,and why should we give up what we have just because Serco management don't like it.Would you be willing to give up your T&Cs with out a fight?

As for "jumping down people's throats" this is a forum your entitled to your opinion and me to mine," kettle pot black"springs to mind.

So here's the scenario: let's get rid of experienced 'hotel' staff, including no doubt the hotel manager who basically runs, from my understanding, loads of stuff on the ship. The Pursar's role has changed somewhat on Northlink over the years so don't imagine they can take on all what the hotel manager currently does.

Hell, we'll bring in showers at a fiver a time for 5 minutes (Now who on earth can manage a shower in 5 mins, let alone during a rough crossing?). Add into the mix where are all those who currently kip in the cinema or in the bar going to sleep? Precisely who is going to move them all? Then you've got a new set up with say half the existing catering staff.

Don't go thinking that these temporary staff for when the ships get busy just have to attend a 10 minute course on evacuation similar to what us mere passengers get when we go on a holiday cruise, because I bet the crew get ongoing training to keep them up-to-date. You could have a fire in the kitchen, a fire in the engine room, power failure, man overboard, passenger taking sick ... the list goes on. But have no fear, Serco will have made up the numbers with temporary staff unfamiliar with the vessels.

Personally speaking, I'm just waiting for the day when the crew is made up with temporary staff and the captain turns round and tells Serco to shove it where the sun don't shine and refuses to sail.

Perhaps Serco have a plan to keep the service going during a strike, maybe it involves some of the freight vessels Eastern European crew being temporarily moved to cover (perhaps crew on leave coming in), or perhaps Mr Garrett is going to be like Capt. Jack Sparrow and take command himself.

Either way Serco are now in a position where they should get back to talking and getting this solved or the government should step in and insist they do or face the prospect of losing their precious contract.