Serco Ferry

Frances144

I wonder why the vitriol continues against ferries, be it Northlink or the new Serco, or even the employees, alas, anything to do with ferries. Perhaps it is the union bashing this time as it seems one man controls the minds of many who I may add are probably in the largest tax paying collective. I have not seen the justification on constantly lambasting folk who make a stand in this way. Alas, I stand to win some money as ferries could be cancelled due to the weather... :wink:

Simples..... Because it is a lifeline service and any action which affects that service has a large knock on effect, not only to local business, but all the community in many ways from empty shelfs, family unable to get home, Christmas parcels not being delivered etc.

I for one, was totally against this strike, as I still don't feel it was necessary, for that reason I will continue to "union bash" as you put it. As for lambasting folk! Well had the input from "Serco staff" on here given answers to many questions they were asked, not been so flippant about what was a good pay rise compared with most and basically not name called, I for one may have been more supportive of their actions

The reason many, like myself highlight snippets from posts, are that these are the bits which we don't agree on, or require further explanation on.

Now Pete as its the time of good cheer, I do hope you will put any "winnings" to a good cause. :wink:

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shakespeare is supposed to be the bard of the English language and (although his writing was a topic at school) I still make no sense of his pish. - so SP carry on - you could be famous when your gone ;)

so to Maths for the simples. (Circa numbers ok.)

2 weeks on and 2 weeks off (less 5 weeks holidays) means you work 21 weeks a year (c.12 hour shifts) = c. 1764 contractual hours

c.9-c.5 monday to friday with c. 28 days holidays = c. 1740 contractual hours.

So to conclude - shift workers (i.e. Serco), oilies offshore and shiney arses et. al. onshore all work c. the same number of contractual hours. (some will do overtime over and above contractual hours - but that's a personal choice)

Does that make sense?

No? - Ok - Shift work and Day work - Not much difference except we day workers have to go to work for 260 x 8 hour days and the guys with "all the time off" only have to go to work for 147 x 12 hour days. (except some of the poor offshore/mariner blighters have to be at their work for 24 hours a day c.12hrs paid - c.12 unpaid.)

By the way I'm on double time at this time in the morning - JOKE ;)

Ah, finally a voice of reason in the ether ! Just a minor correction, the ferry crew only get 4 weeks holiday per annum, not 5, and as payment is classed as consolodated, overtime is not paid for xmas, new year or any other holidays be they bank or otherwise.

I am waiting with bated breath for a post from the local scaffies so I can rip apart and pontificate on THEIR renumeration package. :twisted: Oh, wait a minute-that has nothing to do with me :shock:

I am waiting with bated breath for a post from the local scaffies so I can rip apart and pontificate on THEIR renumeration package. :twisted: Oh, wait a minute-that has nothing to do with me :shock:

I think you will find their pay was frozen!

It would have something to do with you if they go on strike and your rubbish starts piling up :wink:

I may buy a spell checker to go over the magic I write.

I will put any winnings into the local food bank.

I now wonder if folk who work for life line services should then, as prison guards be stopped from taking industrial action to protect their rights,especially if they work for a company with share holders.

I may buy a spell checker to go over the magic I write.

I will put any winnings into the local food bank.

I now wonder if folk who work for life line services should then, as prison guards be stopped from taking industrial action to protect their rights,especially if they work for a company with share holders.

I think you will find that the Government tried to stop prison guards from striking some time ago, can't recall the outcome though!

Good on you for putting winnings to local food bank. :D

Ah, finally a voice of reason in the ether ! Just a minor correction, the ferry crew only get 4 weeks holiday per annum, not 5, and as payment is classed as consolodated, overtime is not paid for xmas, new year or any other holidays be they bank or otherwise.

So you work 22 weeks a year then, not 21. That will make a big difference to those in the real world working ~46 weeks a year. There was me thinking teachers had it good!

Can you clear up what is possibly an Urban Myth doing the rounds up here, in that the ferry cannot be tied up at midnight so that the crews on the NorthLink boats qualify not to pay UK tax on their substantial earnings?

So you work 22 weeks a year then, not 21. That will make a big difference to those in the real world working ~46 weeks a year. There was me thinking teachers had it good!

Can you clear up what is possibly an Urban Myth doing the rounds up here, in that the ferry cannot be tied up at midnight so that the crews on the NorthLink boats qualify not to pay UK tax on their substantial earnings?

Sorry to disappoint "stirrer". Even if it was true,it's the Goverment who set the timetable, and if they set it for the ferry to sail at two in the morning then two it would be or three,it wouldn't be for the boats to decide.Good idea though, (Note to self) Must start a campaign to get the Goverment to stop taxing British seamen,so as we can add to our substantial wages.

How to find out if you can claim seafarers allowance

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/cnr/seafaq2.htm

I think you will find the whole point of the original poster was to clarify the actual HOURS worked onboard the ferries are around the same and in most cases MORE than worked shoreside for the comparable weeks. I.E. A ferry worker does more than twice the average hours in 1 week and more than twice the hours in 2 weeks which equates to more hours worked onboard in 2 weeks than the average person ashore works in 1 month.Again all NEGOTIATED with employers and unions. And, yes we do work "in the real working world".

Get a life.

Pay no tax ???? I wish.

(then again I wish I only paid 40% of the total cost for a journey south every time I leave my house)

I have got a txt saying tonights sailing is cancelled, and I was booked on to avoid the end of the world tsunami! Come on Serco, I didn't think the end of our planet as we know it would stop you sailing to Aberdeen, its only a force 8/9; nothing compared to the natural disaster that will occur if I dont get away to wife and in-laws for Christmas.... then there will be a serve system building over "forth"....