Serco Ferry

Frances144

How's about the Shetland Times asking Serco Northlink if there's any truth in what's being said,and then printing a response.

You can strike the words lifeline out any conversation regarding this operation.

Once this contract was awarded to a private operator answerable to private share holders who require a dividend it became a private business.(Subsidised by Scottish Executive)

My understanding is that the previous operator had to hand back a certain amount of any profit they made,again,it seems that this is not the case with Serco, Surprise,surprise!!!

This service should be run by a board of directors who are only answerable to Scottish Executive.

I'll agree with you on the points here.

ST should have the nous to know who to talk to to get the right answers, we'd have a clearer idea of where we stand then. And again, there was no disrespect intended towards Chooks' informative post.

And, yes, no lifeline service should be farmed out to private enterprise at all.

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Serco is of course a private operator and they do want to make a profit for their shareholders as indeed they want to do with all their other government contracts. And as indeed do the railway companies (except East Coast) and all other companies with any government contract.

What we have to hope the Scottish Government has done is to word the contract in such a way that if Serco fail to provide a service to the contract specification they can be warned and if necessary stripped of the contract. And of course we have to hope that the specification was for a decent service.

Meanwhile the on-board changes Serco are making will have to be judged once they are complete. But I am left wondering if the contract specification requires them to return the ships to the condition they received them in at the end of the contract.

I do not understand why you would expect anyone to risk their job to post here. There is the seed of information planted, gracious to pass on that seed but it is up to the community to get it going. Of course I disagree with an anon expecting someone to risk their job, but your own post said what I said. You will never be able to quote another anon post as any evidence. Why would it be so difficult say, for you to write letters to get some facts you can use...

There may be a conflict as Notlink/Serco advertise in the Times, there could be a perception of a cover up.

To be honest, folk need to get off here and get on to Open Office or Word and start writing, if there is truth in what we have been told.

Thanks for passing on the info, it will be used from here....

apparently serco have awarded all the crew a substantial pay rise?

also a demarkation system is in force through the RMT, so staff who are not busy in one area cannot be moved to another area that is busier. so I was told today, wheteher its true or not i dont know, but i thought demarkation was illeagal these days

In an effort to clear up any speculation on Chookargyll's post I have contacted Tavish Scott with the details which the post highlighed (personally I suspect he/she is correct) , to give him his due he replied within a day of my writing to him with the assurance that he would ask Serco directly on whether the details within the post are correct . It will be interesting to see what Secos response will be .

In an effort to clear up any speculation on Chookargyll's post I have contacted Tavish Scott with the details which the post highlighed (personally I suspect he/she is correct) , to give him his due he replied within a day of my writing to him with the assurance that he would ask Serco directly on whether the details within the post are correct . It will be interesting to see what Secos response will be .

:lik:

also a demarkation system is in force through the RMT, so staff who are not busy in one area cannot be moved to another area that is busier. so I was told today, wheteher its true or not i dont know, but i thought demarkation was illeagal these days

My Source (code name ocres )tells me ,pay deal was a 3 year agreement made with the previous operator.

Not all those working on the boats are employed by Serco.

Excellent.

My Source (code name ocres )tells me ,pay deal was a 3 year agreement made with the previous operator.

Correct, second year of a three year deal

All officers and crew onboard are employed by Serco

All officers and crew onboard are employed by Serco

Care to define crew?