How Safe is Your Hospital

Silvercloud

Hi,

You will find it very hard to get people to speak out or admit they too have had a bad experiences/problems even without any details .The close knit community and who is related to who and how it could possibly affect them in other parts of their lives here makes it extremely difficult to do this unlike perhaps other areas of the UK and mangament know this. So people will put up and shut up even though they should not have to, becuase if things were more open and honest it could only improve for the better of everyone longterm but that would mean things might have to change and things be looked into more closely which perhaps some people higher up would rather not for a variety of reasons. People do not always like change even if sometimes it for the better. Those that do speak out risk being called troublemakers .

So until enough people are prepared to stand up when problems do arise it will always be very difficult situation here.

... Shetlink moderators please delete my account as there is no point posting anything on Shetlink. I thank you in advance for doing so Shetlink moderators.

Wow, that's some hissy fit and flounce! Aren't you the same poster who wanted help with attaching a Word document to an e-mail the other day? Why tarnish all Shetlinkers with the same brush, just because you've come across one or two who don't share your POV?

yes that would be very difficult. its one of the problems of being a small health board. sadly i suspect that it would be the same in any organization. complaining would be seen as a lack of loyalty. and of course those that are deemed to be less loyal usually get the worst of it.

thats why the critical incident reports are so useful if they are dealt with properly.

I have just found out from someone about the so called gagging orders.

I find this terrifying.

Gagging orders are wrong and shouldn't happen. I don't think they should be happening to anyone in the NHS. There should be much more transparency.

"It's not the done thing to challenge management. That's basically it," she added. "The pattern seems to be you make a stand and life is made hell. Most people end up either becoming sick or they take money to end it all. The money is nearly always associated with a gag – what this is about is hiding their inefficiency."

Dr ---- was put on special leave after complaining. Lynne Featherstone, the minister for Women, is among those who have backed her, saying: "I have wondered whether the management would ever be brought to account."

A spokesman for the hospital denied there had been bullying or that Dr ---- had been targeted for whistleblowing. He said it was common practice for gagging clauses to be inserted into "compromise agreements".

This sentence is to me, very important, "He said it was common practice for gagging clauses to be inserted into "compromise agreements".

This is another way of saying, other people do it, so why not us?

It is also another way of saying, we realise that some things are not done properly so do not draw any attention to them. Even ostriches don't bury their heads this far.

I wonder if this is legal?

It isn't in the case of thieves, murderers etc.

Despots use it though, with impunity, sometimes for years!

I personally complained at the times of any problems that I had but to no avail

So let us presume that health and care professionals in the NHS are expected to lie or ignore bad practice of others out of fear of reprisals.

Can these practices be waived if it is a member of family or a loved one?

I can really feel how difficult it is to work with these threats. How sad it is that our professionals are placed in this position.

The fear of litigation is often quoted. Is it better to deny faults than save lives/money/fines?

There is a song by Bob Dylan called, "Dignity."

So now we have to narrow it down to who are the ones bringing out these gagging orders?

Regards.

Hi see One World Birth further down this forum interesting reading particularly from page 4 onwards about lying and bullying that can go and thats in maternity departments of the NHS it can be rife in very small units as much as some large hospital units , its got to such an extent that a new charity has been set up to help mothers and health profeesionals in the UK whom may face sanctions for speaking out standing up for what is right and supporting mother choices etc .

It demonstrates clearly how the bulling harassment is achieved, but is often turned a blind eye to by managents or encouraged depending on the situation.

It begs to ask who is supporting these patients and advocacy, when some health professionals who may do the honest and decent thing for their patients

then face possible sanctions for doing so .

So do health professional ignore whats going on sometimes? or stand up against such underhand tatics and possibly risk job and pension?

Hi see One World Birth further down this forum interesting reading particularly from page 4 onwards about lying and bullying that can go and thats in maternity departments of the NHS it can be rife in very small units as much as some large hospital units , its got to such an extent that a new charity has been set up to help mothers and health profeesionals in the UK whom may face sanctions for speaking out standing up for what is right and supporting mother choices etc .

It demonstrates clearly how the bulling harassment is achieved, but is often turned a blind eye to by managents or encouraged depending on the situation.

It begs to ask who is supporting these patients and advocacy, when some health professionals who may do the honest and decent thing for their patients

then face possible sanctions for doing so .

So do health professional ignore whats going on sometimes? or stand up against such underhand tatics and possibly risk job and pension?

Hi,

I agree Paulb it does take alot courage to challenge what goes on sometimes .It only really going to stop when enough people start to stand up say enough is enough and issues and concerns are more openly talked about and patients and staff stop fearing those higher up and if more people got behind the situation it alot harder to impose sanctions on a number of nurses from a hospital .

Yes it does take alot courage but in numbers it can have powerful effect .However its always going to be difficult to be the 1st few.

I admire and have much respect for those that do make stand and put their patients first as some health professionals do, even at cost to themselevs sometimes. Some may secretly disagree because its their job/pension possibly on the line but at least they know they have done their best and honest truly caring people committed to best standards of care possible and not tried to hide or brush under the carpet of things they may have seen or know is wrong or just be a sheep following the flock because they don't have any backbone to say when things are wrong.

Difficult and complex area.

Its a sad reflection of our times that we need help of such an organisation to help health care professionals do what is lawfully and is right for the good of mothers evrywhere and where they can get the necessary support without fear and backlash perhaps from some of their peers.

http://www,birthrights.org.uk/advice/healthcare-professionals/

Even with the strictest regime, bullying will go on. It has been, from my experience very hard to get a result in such cases. Much of the bullying is done one on one, a lack of folk willing to testify is another problem.

I am dealing with a case of this at the moment, it is very upsetting for those who are the victims.

Hi

I totally agree being a victim very very hard and when its on one on one it can be extremely difficult and speaking out about it is also very hard because people don't want to talk about it so long as it not happening to them or indeed proving it and some may feel uncomftable to admit they were aware it was happening or for a variety of other reasons won't come forward for patient/ mothers behalf.

Equally just as hard for some health professionals to speak out for fear what their collegues might say and how they will be treated.

however to win a legal case you will need to have suffered a significant loss. if you suffered a side effect or an op goes wrong but there was no negligence you get nothing.

an example when our first daughter was born she suffered an acute infection and died shortly afterwards.

our natural reaction was to want to blame someone. and we believed that the junior doctor had messed up. however he had not been negligent he had just missed diagnosed her condition. the rest of the staff were wonderful especially they midwifes.

I'm sorry to learn of your loss.

However, what you say is not strictly true. There are other grounds on which to bring legal action apart from significant loss. You say it was misdiagnosis - that can be ground to bring legal action if the doctor didn't follow standard procedures and practices that others in the profession would have done and which were common at the time.