Malcomsons bakery RIP

Guest tiodylb17

can't say I am surprised at malcolmsons closing, its been on the cards for a while. the oot ower shop is never open due to lack of staff, the quality of baked products is not on a parr with other island bakeries, Tesco cant take all the blame for the closure, after all they dont forceus to shop there. I also feel for the 200 Tesco drivers made redundant in doncaster because Tesco gave the contract to Eddie Stobbarts, why ? because it was cheaper. Shame on tesco for putting so many people out of work

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is a shame when changes like this happen. What will the building be used for now? I believe it was a bus garage once in its life.

was W C Bain's wholesalers before bakery I think. May have been Gansons Bus garage before that.

It certainly used to be Bolts before Bain's took it over.

http://photos.shetland-museum.org.uk/image.php?i=179097&r=2&t=4&x=1

when i came here in 89 voe made a lovely chicken pie easily identifiable as chicken.a few years ago they changed the filling to small cubes of processed chicken .at least they said it was chicken and it was quite salty

i had one and no more

unfortunately this is happening all over price v quality

oh and i don't eat the pies from tesco either

the post broke so many forum rules it had to go. if you have issues with the owners of any business do it openly and not on a public forum.

if you dont like the rules don't post. maybe you would be ok if we slandered you. its not the purpose of shetlink and by posting you agree to abide by them.

What a pr:ck paulb is "mods the above post is very iffy"

Just like a wee bairn running to a teacher!

You may be happy to see libellous material on Shetlink but most of us prefer to keep it legal and avoid having it taken down.

It is not libel if it is true. I did not see the post, but -

What securityman has said is all true. My partner works there and is losing his job as well. It's a shame but not surprising.

You may be happy to see libellous material on Shetlink but most of us prefer to keep it legal and avoid having it taken down.

What securityman has said is all true. My partner works there and is losing his job as well. It's a shame but not surprising.

I saw it, Crofter, and it wasn't the sort of post anyone should make anonymously.

I saw it, Crofter, and it wasn't the sort of post anyone should make anonymously.

Fair enough. I suppose the problem for Shetlink is that they do not know the facts, and I see they do say "potential defamation" in the edit.

Irvine's have bought the Malcolmson's building.

Probably needing to get some of their money spent!

Application Number : 12OAZ01595

General

Price £640,000

Applicant/s Jewson Limited

Granter/s Lerwick Building Centre Limited

Property

Title No. Parent Property

OAZ9207 - Gremista Industrial Estate, Lerwick, Shetland

Registry Title Description

Sale Date 23rd August, 2012

Land Class Commercial

Application Type First Registration (FR)

Deed Type/s Disposition

Other Sales of these Titles

Application No. Date Title Number Price

No other sales have been found for these titles.

[ Close Window ]

One look at the shop on the street told you all you needed to know. The place was in a time warp. Other than rum truffles and battenburg, not much esle was worth buying.

Typical to be blaming Tesco. Try keeping up with the times and giving people what they want. There has been plenty of time to do it.