Malcomsons bakery RIP

Guest tiodylb17

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the previous 2 posters are dead right. the present owner and the owners from the late 70/80's have not done much as development, they just churned out the same things day in day out, even when one broke away he made an ass if the too. I wish they looked at the family bakery's on the mainland and they would learn what they make there. If they only moved with the times, invested in the shops and developed the range on items they made, then make enough of them, sometimes you can go in at 9 am and they are selt oot. Good luck to all of the staff. I hope they training and investment in you by your employer gets you a good job elsewhere.

I know several ex employees and invettment in the staff didn't happen much in the last 30 years, Although i don't know the present situation.

• 3 weeks later...

I am very sad about Malcolmsons closing. It has been going since 1850s and never had a problem until Tescos opened, but guess that's just the way things move on. I am a good friend to Hilda, probably the oldest member of staff who has worked in the bakery on the street for 40 + years. I am in their most days, not just to buy stuff but to pass the time of day with Hilda.

What a shame.

I have fond memories of Malcolmson's bakery as it was my first Saturday job as a 13 year old boy after moving back up to shetland in the late eighties i spent most of my time cutting the bread and helping with orders.

I havent been in the main building for years, however I quite often got a lentil soup from the shop on the street 90p for a large cup, brilliant soup too!

Sad to see it go.

I am very sad about Malcolmsons closing. It has been going since 1850s and never had a problem until Tescos opened, but guess that's just the way things move on. I am a good friend to Hilda, probably the oldest member of staff who has worked in the bakery on the street for 40 + years. I am in their most days, not just to buy stuff but to pass the time of day with Hilda.

What a shame.

Like you I'm sad to see such a long established business closing and particularly sorry for those who will lose their jobs.

However as a regular user of the shop from the 60s, I have found the shop to be closed at times, shelves empty first thing in the morning poor sellection of produce and the quality deteriorating over the last year or two. I now get local bread from local shops, as I don't like the sooth stuff, unless for toast.

So is it really all Tescos fault.?

I wonder if they've tried negotiating with Tescos again?

The reason Tescos wont sell Shetland bread is no-one can afford to buy a metal detector for foreign bodies, maybe tesco's could rent them one?

Or all the Shetland bakeries could club together and buy one to share. I'm sure if the shops sold through Tescos they could afford to stay open.

Quality is poor. They deliver to a local retailer where my wife works, packaging often damaged, sandwiches damaged etc etc. A bit like Shetland milk....they can't seem to stop the containers leaking, which is why i always buy Tesco's own brand. Never leak and much longer lasting. Takes my wife hours to clean up the mess in the local retailers fridge due to leaking / spilt Shetland milk...on a daily basis!

I agree that the owners didn't move with the times at all, they did try a bit with the sandwich counter but they needed to make new innovative types of bread not just the same all the time, also, even on days when they knew the boat wasn't coming in they should have taken advantage and baked more.

I used to work there and have very happy memories so i don't mean to be down on them too much. :(