SHETLAND says NO to Scottish Independence

getaba1110

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1st Any group of people have the right of self determination (arguing for a referendum)

When asked if that would apply to Shetland should the yes vote win

2nd Shetland is not a nation and has no right of self determination

In other words, we'll do as we're told...

If he wins his referendum, I think it will be time for a revolution of sorts.

'Viet Sheltie' anyone? :D

Didn't some old gaffer in the House of Lords put forward the idea that Shetland and Orkney would have the right to opt out if Scotland voted for independence and would still be part of an arrangement of being "British territories" (for Defence, etc.) along the same lines as the Isle of Man and the Channel Islands?

It's a long time ago but, I seem to remember Jo Grimmond getting a promise, in Parliament, that if Scotland were to gain indepenence then, Shetland (if it wished) would remain part of the UK.

Lord Caithness tried to get an amendment to the Scotland Bill at the start of this year.

http://www.shetlandtimes.co.uk/2012/01/24/isles-should-be-allowed-to-remain-in-uk-if-they-reject-independence-tory-lord

The earl’s amendment reads: “A vote in a referendum … which results in Scotland leaving the United Kingdom shall not be binding on the residents of the Orkney Islands or the Shetland Islands unless a majority of the residents of the Orkney Islands and the Shetland Islands who voted in such a referendum voted that Scotland should leave the United Kingdom.â€

Yes, but the level of Norwegian taxation has to be looked at relative to what they get back. We pay low taxes but our pensions, services, etc. are pretty meagre compared to Norwegian ones. They have a system designed to keep the gap between the richest and the poorest within tolerable levels - something the UK has long abandoned - and also to balance the provision in cities with the provision in 'remote' areas. Not a bad system by all accounts.

It's interesting that peoples' feelings and views in the Shetland/Scotland debate are very similar to the opinions you see expressed in Scotland/England exchanges. The UK establishment will use every trick in the book to scupper the Scottish referendum and the Scottish establishment would do exactly the same in an attempt to kill off any move to take Shetland out of Scottish control.

I don't think there's any point in hoping for either establishment to act in Shetland's best interests. (Let's face it, Lord Caithness doesn't give a faenkel about Shetland - it was just a spoiling tactic.) I agree that the best way forward is to have a much greater degree of home rule, but we have to be active in demanding it ourselves - not expecting anyone else to speak up for us.

By the way, I wonder if anybody thought to lobby Jens Stoltenberg about supporting a Norrøna-type link when he was in Shetland?

wrong. tf scotland vote to be independent then we will go with them as we are part of scotland. what we do after that is up to us but we dont have an opt out. Why folks are more scared of being ruled by edinburgh than london i don't know neither really give a stuff about us.

Hi...don’t disagree with your point re-rulers...however, if it’s YES (God forbid) we’d we ruled by wee Alexi & co...and they certainly don’t give stuff about us!

Re the oil...all the North Sea Blocks are licensed by the UK Government to oil companies...are we to assume a seamless transference...I think not! Furthermore, it’s oil company investments...unless wee Alexi has intentions to nationalise the North Sea Oil (I bet it’s one of his fantasies :evil: ).

^ Just think of all that cheap fuel just round the corner :-

http://www.stanley-services.co.fk/cgi-script/csNews/csNews.pl?database=Stanley%20Services%20News%2edb&command=viewone&id=7&op=t

Anyone know where the fuel is shipped in from ?

This company is subsidiary of Robertson Group aka S & J D Robertson from Orkney...don’t be fooled by the prices.

I agree that the best way forward is to have a much greater degree of home rule, but we have to be active in demanding it ourselves - not expecting anyone else to speak up for us.

Is there any real point after Calamity's near 10 years of very successful sabotage, the subject is far too heavily associated with him and the joke he's turned it in to.

Only thing we need to know right now, is whether it was the Scots or English that sent him. :evil:

Sorry johnmc but your post was just a pro-Scotland rant and like Gorgonzola Butt-cheese I too wonder just how long you've been in Shetland, if you are at all.

Shetland gets a miserable deal for what it contributes.

As an example, Shetland has no control over water services(which are an utter shambles), tourism, the education system(did folk know that they're teaching the primary school bairns French? :evil: ), the lifeline ferry service(another shambles), fire services and off course the massive oil and gas fields.

The SNP promised a "bonfire of the quangos" and what happened?. They've centralised even more.

If it wasn't for a few bold individuals and a more savvy generation of Shetlanders we wouldn't have got a single penny from the oil.

@ werder, do you nothing about Shetland's Scandinavian history and heritage?.

I can assure everyone that Shetland would get an extremely good deal(home-rule) from Norway and it is an avenue that needs to be seriously explored asap.

I do actually know about Shetland's history and heritage. But I ask you this question: how much, NOWADAYS, do MODERN DAY Shetlanders have in common with the Norwegians? Modern day language and culture - slim to nothing! I would argue that we have about 95% more in common with Scotland. Who knows even if the Norwegians would welcome us?!

And Kavi, who are you to "assure" Shetlanders that we would get a very good deal if we were to become part of Norway, the Norwegian Prime Minister?! I for one can't see this idea ever taking off, and would strongly be opposed to it!

Sorry johnmc but your post was just a pro-Scotland rant and like Gorgonzola Butt-cheese I too wonder just how long you've been in Shetland, if you are at all.

Shetland gets a miserable deal for what it contributes.

As an example, Shetland has no control over water services(which are an utter shambles), tourism, the education system(did folk know that they're teaching the primary school bairns French? :evil: ), the lifeline ferry service(another shambles), fire services and off course the massive oil and gas fields.

The SNP promised a "bonfire of the quangos" and what happened?. They've centralised even more.

If it wasn't for a few bold individuals and a more savvy generation of Shetlanders we wouldn't have got a single penny from the oil.

@ werder, do you nothing about Shetland's Scandinavian history and heritage?.

I can assure everyone that Shetland would get an extremely good deal(home-rule) from Norway and it is an avenue that needs to be seriously explored asap.

Democracies can encourage and explore daft ideas...becoming part of Norway would be one them!

As for would Norway welcome us, I was twice humbled while on holiday in Norway, once was in a hunting shop in Forde, the salesman came and asked me where I was from, 'Shetland' I told him,

'Ah' he said with a big smile and a warm handshake 'a visitor from our western isles' from there we had a great conversation.

The second incident was while camping, a gentleman of senior years noticed the british plates, (on the car) I wish he could remember his name, he made a point of shaking each of our hands in turn, a tear in his eye (I am not being melodramatic) he told us how his town had been freed by british forces during the second world war, he told us how he was so thankful to us for what we had done for his country, and he was so pleased that we came to Norway for our holiday. He thanked us personally, and sincerely.

I deserve no thanks since the war was finished 40 years before I was born, he went on to tell us how every year since the war he would put on a british uniform and drive his british motorbike to france for a remembrance - gestured the bike on the back of his camper, he said now he was getting old and had arthritis in his hands, so he put the motorbike on his camper and drove, such was his love of the british.

A very humbling experience that I hope I never forget, may we be worthy of them.

I have never known such love and camaraderie from a stranger before or since, I love Norway as a country, I love the Norwegians as a people, but do you want to have to run your car as a van for 5 years before converting it to put seats in it because you can't afford to buy it as a car new due to tax, If I remember correctly a new defender 110 would cost circa £150K new, mainly because of the number of seats, I know we share a heritage but we are in very different places new. I don't think it would be an easy amalgamation.

I agree that the best way forward is to have a much greater degree of home rule, but we have to be active in demanding it ourselves - not expecting anyone else to speak up for us.

Is there any real point after Calamity's near 10 years of very successful sabotage, the subject is far too heavily associated with him and the joke he's turned it in to.

Only thing we need to know right now, is whether it was the Scots or English that sent him. :evil:

I'm gay and i find this uffensive

I'm gay and i find this uffensive