SHETLAND says NO to Scottish Independence

getaba1110

wrong. tf scotland vote to be independent then we will go with them as we are part of scotland. what we do after that is up to us but we dont have an opt out. Why folks are more scared of being ruled by edinburgh than london i don't know neither really give a stuff about us.

Hi...don’t disagree with your point re-rulers...however, if it’s YES (God forbid) we’d we ruled by wee Alexi & co...and they certainly don’t give stuff about us!

Bollox!

If we got independence, then an election would be held and "wee Alexi & co" would have to take their chances along with everyone else.

OTOH, if Shetland stayed with England, then we'd be faced with a permanent Tory government due to the Scottish labour MP's no longer being in Parliament.

I'd rather have Salmond any day of the week.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree that the best way forward is to have a much greater degree of home rule, but we have to be active in demanding it ourselves - not expecting anyone else to speak up for us.

Is there any real point after Calamity's near 10 years of very successful sabotage, the subject is far too heavily associated with him and the joke he's turned it in to.

Only thing we need to know right now, is whether it was the Scots or English that sent him. :evil:

I'm gay and i find this uffensive

??? :? :roll:

wrong. tf scotland vote to be independent then we will go with them as we are part of scotland. what we do after that is up to us but we dont have an opt out. Why folks are more scared of being ruled by edinburgh than london i don't know neither really give a stuff about us.

Hi...don’t disagree with your point re-rulers...however, if it’s YES (God forbid) we’d we ruled by wee Alexi & co...and they certainly don’t give stuff about us!

Bollox!

If we got independence, then an election would be held and "wee Alexi & co" would have to take their chances along with everyone else.

OTOH, if Shetland stayed with England, then we'd be faced with a permanent Tory government due to the Scottish labour MP's no longer being in Parliament.

I'd rather have Salmond any day of the week.

Even minorities have a view...I’m not sure how long you’ve been taking note of this debate, but it’s going on for years and at no time I’ve ever witnessed any Haggis on our hills or for that matter ever seen any Kilt wearing Haggis-stalkers, moreover we’ve never wished to be governed by the Nat’s. Basically we aren’t Scottish...part of Scotland is fine and part of the UK. So your nonsense about Tories is irrelevant to this debate.

Countries need to be kept United (Kingdom and Great Britain)...working together...not being split by a few pretenders with an only goal apparent to fuel delusional ideals, not forgetting the ever needy egos e.g. Alexi, Nicky...etc.

Yes, yes...I know all politicians are the same...but, you have to admit these current Nat’s do stand out as exceptional plonkers (and fibbers).

• 3 weeks later...

I know that I am an obnoxious and loud American, but I do come from a place that gave that crazy "independence" thing a try. Plenty of Americans died for the concept of determining our own destiny and we are known for being absolutely weird about our sovereignty. If I was in a place where you could basically vote for independence and actually get it, nothing could stop me from getting to the polls to cast my "yes" vote, every single time.

If I were you, I would vote for Scottish independence, Shetland independence, Unst independence, the independence of my property, and the independence of my children from my own unique form of tyranny. Everyone should have absolute independence over themselves and their stuff and from that fact, a web of alliances, friendships, and partnerships can be formed that are always more respectful of each person than a "top-down" buy-your-vote/loyalty sell-your-sovereignty government. You guys can have the gold ring without having to fire a shot - amazing!

The only real reason to reject more sovereignty on any level is because you don't trust your neighbors or you don't trust yourself and you would rather put yourself at the mercy of faceless others. That is what I hear when people reject their own independence - the sort of people who live with their parents into their thirties for no good reason besides that they like someone else to do the cooking and be the responsible party. I would hate to think that Shetlanders as a people are no better than a man-child and might actually pass on their chance to grow up and take their place as a more independent people.

All the talk of evaluating what "parent" to choose (rUK, Scotland, Norway, EU, why not tie yourself to Canada or US?) and weighing which would reap the best benefits is just an admission that Shetland must be dependent and it can barely trust itself enough to beg for one "adoptive parent" over another. At any moment, the chosen "sugar-daddy" can decide that they don't have to treat you so well, that twenty thousand people are not a big enough constituency to care about, and that Shetland is just a pile of resources to be exploited for the "common good" of larger populations elsewhere. The only way to be sure that this doesn't happen is to take independence and force everyone to deal with you as something much closer to an equal.

Shetland needs to take independence and run with it. Make your own alliances and enter the world on your own terms for once. Be the Viking!

In 1655, Scotland was occupied by Cromwell’s army and in August of that year Thomas Tucker, who was Register to the Commission for the Excise in England, was sent to Scotland “to give his assistance in settling the excise and custom there.â€

This is what Tucker has to say about Shetland:

...it lyes over against Bergen in Norway, and very difficult to get thither but in some certaine moneths of the summer. There was never yett officer either sent or that would adventure thither till of late, when the farmer of the inland comodityes of those parts haveing prevailed with one to undertake his affaires there, the comissioners did comission the same party likewise as to custome and foraigne excise alsoe ; but what successe this enterprise may have, must be left to the discovery of some further time.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Lone Wolf

I have to admit I was quite surprised by the blatancy of the statement by the SNP, but then I suppose without the fossil fuels the independence vote for Scotland doesn't stand a chance.

Poker players and politicians don't usually show their hand that stupidly though

Not surprised at all. The SNP has no interest in Shetland other than to plunder what money it can get from surrounding oil/gas fields. It will leave Shetland broke without the slightest concern.

I would far rather see Shetland remaining with the rest of the UK then becoming a part of an independent Scotland, who's leaders feel we are too small to have a say.

Wee Eck is starting to show his true colours where Shetland is concerned and he will walk all over us to achieve his aim as he needs the oil money to make it work.

I do actually know about Shetland's history and heritage. But I ask you this question: how much, NOWADAYS, do MODERN DAY Shetlanders have in common with the Norwegians? Modern day language and culture - slim to nothing! I would argue that we have about 95% more in common with Scotland. Who knows even if the Norwegians would welcome us?!

And Kavi, who are you to "assure" Shetlanders that we would get a very good deal if we were to become part of Norway, the Norwegian Prime Minister?! I for one can't see this idea ever taking off, and would strongly be opposed to it!

It's true that in terms of day to day life Shetland is different to present Norway but I tend to feel that Shetland has been in "no man's land" for centuries and continues to be so. Could we have been treated any worse than what we have been by Scotland/UK/Europe?.

For many Shetlanders like myself we're ruled by Scotland(even down to the schools) but just not a part of it.

The attitude of the SNP is truly frightening with not the slightest hint of willingness to engage and reason with Shetland. The signs are extremely ominous.

I'm not down-playing how significant returning to Norway would be but within a couple of generations the dust would be settling. One important step would be to start learning the bairns Norwegian in primary school.

Home-rule under Norway sounds like a very good idea to me.

It's true that the referendum on scottish independance isn't all about the SNP but the more I see of their true nature the more I am filled with dread.....

The attitude of the SNP is truly frightening with not the slightest hint of willingness to engage and reason with Shetland. The signs are extremely ominous.

That might be true, but the one good thing about the forthcoming independance vote is that either way, the SNP will dissapear into oblivion after it. In the unlikely event of a yes vote, their job is done and we will return to a normal labour dominated party political system. In the event of a no vote, they will have been seen to have failed miserably.

Not to me it doesn't! And I've never come across anyone else who like the idea either.

Not to me it doesn't! And I've never come across anyone else who like the idea either.

Maybe you're not talking to enough people?

I don't meet too many people who admit to voting Tory but there seems to be a surprising number of them about.