SHETLAND says NO to Scottish Independence

getaba1110

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't believe that there would be sufficient interest from residents in the idea of a return to Norway, even if that was an option. It's just too big a change.

I can't see being part of an independent Scotland improving our lot, in fact I feel we will be a lot worse off. The SNP has done and said nothing to convince me that Scotland will be better off on its own, but they have said that Shetland is of no relevance. :?

When was the last time Salmond actually visited Shetland, if ever?

With comments that amount to "you're too small, suck it up", now would be a good time to visit, appologise, and attempt to engage us. He's too good at digging holes though.

If I'm not mistaken was it not when he opened the island games, with the words" welcome to Scotland" :cry:

He may be good at digging holes, but he usually find a ladder to climb out of them.

I don't know what's worse Muppet!, life in an independant SNP Scotland or a Labour dominated Scotland :?

After seeing Labour in action in the first terms of the Scottish Paliament I will never vote for them. I don't like Labour's centralising, controlling and interfering nature.

I see the Orkney Islands Council have already set up a committee to address Orkney's options.

Let's hope Shetland follows their lead before it's too late......

Even if we disagree on the way forward surely it would be worse(as a community) to not even discuss our options and have our own referendum.

I don't know what's worse Muppet!, life in an independant SNP Scotland or a Labour dominated Scotland :?

I'm not sure you got my point there. If Scotland were to vote for Independance, the SNP would have achieved their ambition and should cease to exist as a political party. After all what is the point of a party who's sole aim is to achieve independance after they have won it?

The members should all trot off their separate ways and join whatever political party they choose to stand for election to the new Scottish Government, or indeed form a new party of their own, but without Independance as their ticket, what would they have left? There would be no SNP Scotland after independance.

It's true that in terms of day to day life Shetland is different to present Norway

Is that not sufficient reason to stay away from them?

The attitude of the SNP is truly frightening with not the slightest hint of willingness to engage and reason with Shetland. The signs are extremely ominous.

I've been saying that for YEARS.

I'm not down-playing how significant returning to Norway would be but within a couple of generations the dust would be settling. One important step would be to start learning the bairns Norwegian in primary school.

Absolute Rubbish (again).

Home-rule under Norway sounds like a very good idea to me.

Complete independence sounds better to me.

It's true that the referendum on scottish independance isn't all about the SNP but the more I see of their true nature the more I am filled with dread.....

Salmond et al need Shetland to make their vision for Scotland work.

I'm inclined to deny them that because we don't need Scotland (or Norway) to make Shetland work.

Home-rule under Norway sounds like a very good idea to me.
Not to me it doesn't! And I've never come across anyone else who like the idea either.

Maybe you're not talking to enough people?

I don't meet too many people who admit to voting Tory but there seems to be a surprising number of them about.

Dunno! I speak to plenty of folk. As for Tories, there's certainly no shortage of them about. I know plenty. In fact do they not usually take second place in the Polls behind the Lib/Dems?

This article is in today's Scotsman

http://www.scotsman.com/the-scotsman/opinion/comment/brian-wilson-shetland-has-the-right-to-go-it-alone-1-2739336#.UPaCKGcZAns.twitter

Depending on what day of the week it is, we are variously asked to admire Iceland, Ireland, Denmark, Switzerland, Norway or Bhutan as our role models, with cherries carefully picked and the bad bits left out. Yet when a genuine parallel is produced, such as the one between the Faroes and Shetland, the Bravehearts queue up to pour scorn and dismiss it.

This article is in today's Scotsman

http://www.scotsman.com/the-scotsman/opinion/comment/brian-wilson-shetland-has-the-right-to-go-it-alone-1-2739336#.UPaCKGcZAns.twitter

Depending on what day of the week it is, we are variously asked to admire Iceland, Ireland, Denmark, Switzerland, Norway or Bhutan as our role models, with cherries carefully picked and the bad bits left out. Yet when a genuine parallel is produced, such as the one between the Faroes and Shetland, the Bravehearts queue up to pour scorn and dismiss it.

Absolutely bang on.