SHETLAND says NO to Scottish Independence

getaba1110

This article is in today's Scotsman

http://www.scotsman.com/the-scotsman/opinion/comment/brian-wilson-shetland-has-the-right-to-go-it-alone-1-2739336#.UPaCKGcZAns.twitter

Depending on what day of the week it is, we are variously asked to admire Iceland, Ireland, Denmark, Switzerland, Norway or Bhutan as our role models, with cherries carefully picked and the bad bits left out. Yet when a genuine parallel is produced, such as the one between the Faroes and Shetland, the Bravehearts queue up to pour scorn and dismiss it.

Very interesting reading and hits the nail on the head.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We should first get Scottish independence. Don’t be paranoid about the SNP. They will cease to exist.

We then face the Scots head on. Negotiate a Faroe type autonomy or even better – real independence.

We are unlikely to achieve this with the London government, and the status quo isn’t exactly rosy. Why should we opt for being dragged down by the UK?

We should first get Scottish independence. Don’t be paranoid about the SNP. They will cease to exist.

Regardless of what party governs Scotland, Shetland will always be seen as a cash cow (and nothing else) unless they come out and publicly promise to give Shetland a say in it's own future.

And I don't buy the 'SNP are harmless after Indy' line for one minute.

From the Scotsman article

:- "One of the great Scottish myths is that the islands are subsidy-dependent, a drain on central resources. They have always been treated as indebted beneficiaries of largesse rather than as the economic assets that more than pay their way. Even leaving aside oil and gas, they have fish, renewable energy, a world-class environment… the islands and surrounding territorial waters have them all. And they would have done much, much better with localised control over them"

And thats the thing, the SNP's independence plan is only to get Westminster of one shoulder to allow the EU Commission to sit on both!

Its a total farce ! no independance at all !

Of course the bulk of politicians will never go against the EU, that would be like turkeys voting for christmas.

They milk the EU Gravy train for their own ends and tell us the country cant survive without membership.

But it's there own greedy interests they are really protecting and there are none worse than the lib dems on that particular issue.

From the Scotsman article

:- "One of the great Scottish myths is that the islands are subsidy-dependent, a drain on central resources. They have always been treated as indebted beneficiaries of largesse rather than as the economic assets that more than pay their way. Even leaving aside oil and gas, they have fish, renewable energy, a world-class environment… the islands and surrounding territorial waters have them all. And they would have done much, much better with localised control over them"

My feelings exactly.

We should go for full independence and go our own way.

Regardless of what party governs Scotland, Shetland will always be seen as a cash cow (and nothing else) unless they come out and publicly promise to give Shetland a say in it's own future.

^^^ This is 'spot on', in my opinion.

Shetland is to have a considerable number of wind turbines put up . . . roads will need to be created, where currently, there are none. This will radically alter the countryside (negatively).

Scotland is on a 'win win' situation; it gets the benefits of the wind turbines, but any 'downside' will not be noticed on the Mainland. Then, of course, there is the little matter of oil and gas deposits. By way of return, the Shetlanders get to call themselves 'Scottish'.

I wonder how interested Scotland would be in Shetland, where it not for the natural resources ?

Shetlanders need to 'act' rather than react, and create a future for the inhabitants, which reflects what they want . . . . . . . rather than to 'sleepwalk' into a situation that they do not want and become the 'victims' of Scottish bureaucrats who have no 'real' interest in Shetland or its people. :(

Shetland is to have a considerable number of wind turbines put up . . . roads will need to be created, where currently, there are none. This will radically alter the countryside (negatively).

Scotland is on a 'win win' situation; it gets the benefits of the wind turbines, but any 'downside' will not be noticed on the Mainland. Then, of course, there is the little matter of oil and gas deposits. By way of return, the Shetlanders get to call themselves 'Scottish'.

I wonder how interested Scotland would be in Shetland, where it not for the natural resources ?

Shetlanders need to 'act' rather than react, and create a future for the inhabitants, which reflects what they want . . . . . . . rather than to 'sleepwalk' into a situation that they do not want and become the 'victims' of Scottish bureaucrats who have no 'real' interest in Shetland or its people. :(

I agree with the need to act rather than react, but are you advocating for Shetland independence or some other "action"? How many people in this forum would put effort into local independence? Beyond that, what sort of governmental form would be chosen? It is difficult for someone to beat the drum for independence if there is no clear notion of how that would work "on the ground"...

I agree with the need to act rather than react, but are you advocating for Shetland independence or some other "action"? How many people in this forum would put effort into local independence? Beyond that, what sort of governmental form would be chosen? It is difficult for someone to beat the drum for independence if there is no clear notion of how that would work "on the ground"...

How many people in this forum would put effort into local independence?

None.

thats the spirit

But Brian does have a point.

Everyone wants something...but we always expect someone else to do it for us.

I've seen nothing yet in the press, on flyers - or even on the internet - to say that there is any cohesive attempt to form a group, opinion or voice on the subject of Shetlands future.

I agree with you; but I didn't say that I'm advocating independence; I said that . . .

Shetlanders need to 'act' rather than react, and create a future for the inhabitants, which reflects what they want . . . . . . . rather than to 'sleepwalk' into a situation that they do not want and become the 'victims' of Scottish bureaucrats who have no 'real' interest in Shetland or its people.

It may well be that Shetlanders aren't too bothered by the prospect of an independent Scotland; but (IMO) they do need to be aware of the possible implications.

The important bit is 'what they want'. This may or may not be independence. IMO, what needs to be established first, is what Shetlanders do want. It may be the case, that the majority are happy to be part of an independent Scotland. Then again, some might prefer an independent Shetland, or possibly an 'alliance' with Norway (if that is possible). Then again, some may like to be part of an alliance/confederation of islands.

The point that I'm trying to make, is that (IMO) it would be best if Shetlanders could be part of the process in creating a future for Shetland, rather than having something that they might not want, imposed upon them.

I don't know what options are available, feasible, achievable or even realistic, but I believe that they need to be identified and discussed. It may well be that many/most Shetlanders are happy with the situation as it currently exists. However, I think that it would be wrong to make any assumptions; after all, an independent Scotland is bound to have some tangible implications (good & bad) for Shetland.

In a sense, a business strategy approach should be used . . Where are you now ? Where do you want to go ? How are you going to get there ?

What do you need to do, in order get achieve your goal ?

I think that Shetland is a wonderful place; however, IF independence is achieved, it will be the biggest change for Shetland for many years . . . whatever the outcome is, I want it to be good for Shetland and its people.

I agree with you; but I didn't say that I'm advocating independence; I said that . . .

Shetlanders need to 'act' rather than react, and create a future for the inhabitants, which reflects what they want . . . . . . . rather than to 'sleepwalk' into a situation that they do not want and become the 'victims' of Scottish bureaucrats who have no 'real' interest in Shetland or its people.

Absolutely. There is no reason for Scotland to care overly about Shetland. The interests of some millions will always trump the twenty thousands as long as governments are centrally planned and decided. Alex and the SNP pander to Shetland to win support for their aims, but expect obedience to the will of larger Scotland in the end. The oil fields are not Shetland's until Shetland is in an ownership position over them - right now, they are owned by Westminister but Alex would have them owned out of Edinburgh. If they are not owned out of Lerwick and discussed on that basis, oil is off the table.

It may well be that Shetlanders aren't too bothered by the prospect of an independent Scotland; but (IMO) they do need to be aware of the possible implications.

The important bit is 'what they want'. This may or may not be independence. IMO, what needs to be established first, is what Shetlanders do want. It may be the case, that the majority are happy to be part of an independent Scotland. Then again, some might prefer an independent Shetland, or possibly an 'alliance' with Norway (if that is possible). Then again, some may like to be part of an alliance/confederation of islands.

Perhaps what is needed here is clear leadership. If Shetlanders are looking around at each other, hoping for some consensus, that is for a lack of real leadership. Tavish seems a great guy, but he is a representative that seems to tell his leaders what the pulse of Shetland appears to be as a legislative tool for more powerful interests. Causes and larger decisions coalesce around leaders that can lay out a course (Alex plays on that level). What I say to this group is this: lay out a clear course and choose a leader OR choose a leader for yourselves that has a cause and a course laid out. If this sounds like the road to independence, that is likely where this needs to go. It seems that Shetlanders want to have more of a say in their future and that cries out for autonomy - nothing less will insure that goal. Then, you can make pacts of unity or alliance with Scotland or England/Wales/NIreland or Norway, barter oil for it (if you wish), but know that you cannot do that except if you have taken such authority and resources to yourselves. A dependent child has no say in any matter of real importance.

The point that I'm trying to make, is that (IMO) it would be best if Shetlanders could be part of the process in creating a future for Shetland, rather than having something that they might not want, imposed upon them.

Well said, but a little weak-handed. In the matter of nations, "part of the process" is like being a toddler in the corner - you may be in the room with the adults, but they are ignoring you. If you don't want to be "imposed" upon, you have to sit at the table as a full participant. Autonomy gives one that real participation in the process.

It sounds like you are someone ready to sit at the table as an equal. Shetland seems ready to graduate into autonomy! But like a scared twenty-year-old, it likes the security of living under a parent's roof and looks at "going it alone" with fear. Shetland will have allies and UK/Scotland will want to help their progeny take wing! (It's a "pride" thing) As a parent of adult children, I understand that some young people that we love just need a hard kick in the rump to get them to launch from the nest!

I don't know what options are available, feasible, achievable or even realistic, but I believe that they need to be identified and discussed. It may well be that many/most Shetlanders are happy with the situation as it currently exists. However, I think that it would be wrong to make any assumptions; after all, an independent Scotland is bound to have some tangible implications (good & bad) for Shetland.

In a sense, a business strategy approach should be used . . Where are you now ? Where do you want to go ? How are you going to get there ?

What do you need to do, in order get achieve your goal ?

I think the "business strategy approach" is interesting, but flawed. That happens after you are independent and can actually put plans into action. The only useful plan at this juncture is the one that inspires Shetlanders to solidify themselves behind a leader and a vision. Otherwise, you are just speculating as to which Parliament will rule you and how you will be treated - and your paltry 20,000 votes have no bearing at all in that matter. Anything less than an effort for Shetland independence is just small political theatre and what tiny role Shetland would play has already been scripted by the main characters.

That said, let's consider your business case...

I think most Shetlanders are stuck at the first question. Who are we? British? Scottish? Norse? All of them? None of them? Are people on these islands a cohesive group or just individuals with allegiances all over the map? Are you Shetlanders or not?

The bigger implication may come from a situation. If Shetland became independent, would some of you leave? The Brits would leave and the Scottish out of loyalty. Is your tie to Shetland simply a job or an accident of chance? Did someone come here only to take up a cheap croft or fishing boat? Did they ever truly become a Shetlander? Do they even want to be or even care?

The further questions of a business case require that the first one be answered. A Scotsman would answer the second question by siding with dependency to Scotland. A Breton would pull toward the existing Union. The one who has thrown in their lot with the islands, no matter where their origins, will cast their vote for what brings honor to Shetland and its people. So, is Shetland to simply be a county of Scotland, a sub-unit of the UK, or ( in the heart ) is it something more?

A leader with a cause would likely make their first goal be the bringing together of those who are Shetlanders in heart and converting of those who may only live here by circumstance to the cause, thus building UNITY behind the cause. I see this as coming even before the first question of your business case. It is a matter of conversion more than simple poll-taking. In this case, I would humbly submit that "Where do we want to go?" needs to be answered now and leaders must come forward very soon to advocate their individual answers.

I think that Shetland is a wonderful place; however, IF independence is achieved, it will be the biggest change for Shetland for many years . . . whatever the outcome is, I want it to be good for Shetland and its people.

I think you have answered the question. You seem a Shetlander, though quibbling about what that means. Independence is always good - there is no better answer. It is only courage and resolve and their presence or absence that is in question here. You appear to be one of the Shetland people and every distinct people are a nationality and require a nation.

As I have said before, the nature of men and women is toward greater autonomy. It is a matter of destiny and maturity. If you have any care for Shetland and "its people" (as you say), this is the opportunity. Independence is in the breeze and it hangs there like the ripe fruit, open for the taking. It is like the teenager being offered the keys to a car - the timid would quibble. Take the keys, take the car, and take the chance!

If Shetland is frightened of mistakes that it will make, rest assured that every people and every nation is loaded with bad decisions and their consequences. That is the way of budding adulthood. You have peers and you have your parent countries to look to for advice and example, good and bad. You like Norway's style, copy it. You like America's drive, emulate it. You will absolutely make mistakes, but they will be YOUR mistakes as a growing nation! Stay a simple county, and your parent will tell you to "quiet down back there" and "do as you are told".

Everyone has to grown up. Not to be pushy, but I think it is Shetland's time. You are certainly being handed your opportunity. Alex has recently stepped back from his pleasantries and reasserts the dominance of Holyrood over Lerwick - He wants Scotland, not Shetland. Make your own choice while choices are being entertained, don't just stand behind another's and hope for the best.

This offer may be for only a limited time. 2014 is just around the corner.

Can I just add that I am certainly not advocating some sort of "bloody insurrection"? I don't think anyone wants the Royal Navy with guns trained on Fort Charlotte or the Marines storming the beaches of Papa Stour! I can't seem to find the right term that would sit between "self-determination" and "independence".

My thought involves something akin to a crown dependency. I see Shetland as I have described previously, a young adult that is launching from home into the world. Our home would always be the United Kingdom and I would always hope to view Scotland as our proud parent, whose colors we honor as part of our flag. We would naturally join the Commonwealth and have the Queen as our head of state as a constituent part of larger Britannia. I have no intention of antagonizing anyone or ruffling feathers, but to bring honor to Britain and Scotland as family now that Shetland takes flight. I want them to be proud of a rising Shetland, not vengeful or resentful.

Perhaps we could share the oil, but we would be honor-bound to use what was needed to take care of ourselves. We wouldn't want to dishonor our parent countries by being "dependent"!