SHETLAND says NO to Scottish Independence

getaba1110

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think anyone wants the Royal Navy with guns trained on Fort Charlotte or the Marines storming the beaches of Papa Stour! I can't seem to find the right term that would sit between "self-determination" and "independence".

That would be the Royal Marines and the Royal Navy then? Nivir leet - Salmond will be lucky to have access to a few platoons of TA and the antrin squad of cadets if independence goes through.

Can't see Cameron lending him the ships either.

Oh, you mean these territorials?

51 (Scottish) Brigade

52 Infantry Brigade

Royal Regiment of Scotland

Scots Guards

Royal Scots Dragoon Guards

1st Royal Tank Regiment

19th Regiment Royal Artillery

40th Regiment Royal Artillery

A (London Scottish) Company London Regiment

105th Regiment Royal Artillery (Volunteers)

32 (Scottish) Signal Regiment

The Scottish Transport Regiment

A (Ayrshire (Earl of Carrick's Own) Yeomanry) & C (Fife and Forfar Yeomanry/Scottish Horse) Squadrons of the Queen's Own Yeomanry Regiment

don't forget the Canadian allies

1st Air Defence Regiment (Lanark and Renfrew Scottish)

48th Highlanders of Canada

The Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders of Canada (Princess Louise's)

The Black Watch (Royal Highland Regiment) of Canada

The Calgary Highlanders

The Cameron Highlanders of Ottawa

The Canadian Scottish Regiment (Princess Mary's)

The Essex and Kent Scottish

The Lake Superior Scottish Regiment

The Lorne Scots (Peel, Dufferin and Halton Regiment)

The Nova Scotia Highlanders

The Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders of Canada

The Royal Highland Fusiliers of Canada late

The Seaforth Highlanders of Canada

The Stormont, Dundas and Glengarry Highlanders

The Toronto Scottish Regiment (Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother's Own)

there are still a few others, now, in this make believe world we are creating, perhaps the conspiracy is when the cuts start removing more of the above that have not gone already.

Hey, a national anthem already,

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/5e/Bucks_Fizz_-_land.jpg

In jest, of course...

• 1 month later...

Given the hilarious excuses and fantasist pish spouted about Darien on the same page, I wouldn't give that website any credit for being able to provide level headed and impartial fact.

Do you genuinely think that Shetland will get a better chance of autonomy or self determination from Westminster? The same crooks who convinced the SIC to build temporary accommodation that the government would reimburse? We still have that historic debt. Great idea folks.....at least devolution has kept the bairns further education free, local authoritys protected from private outsourcing.....what makes you think that westminster give a toss about us? This just smacks of Norse tinted stupidity, its thinly veiled xenophobia and Shetland would suffer most if you got your way.

Given the hilarious excuses and fantasist pish spouted about Darien on the same page, I wouldn't give that website any credit for being able to provide level headed and impartial fact.

I see that the paper linked to by newsnetscotland.com explains that the oil and fish would belong to Shetland and Orkney.

Nonetheless, if one applies the result of this case to the Orkney and Shetland Islands,

then two possible solutions may emerge. First, the enclave method seems to be the

most equitable solution available for the Orkney and Shetland Islands. This enclaved

zone, however, does not have to be restricted to 12 nautical miles. Rather, it can be left

to the parties or the tribunal to decide the various widths of this zone taking into

account other elements such as historic rights and fishing rights.

It is also important to note that an equitable solution should not deprive the Orkney and Shetland Islands of mineral deposits off their coast merely because they were detached from their

mainland state.

Also:

If the Orkney and Shetland Islands decided to become an

independent state that belonged to neither England nor Scotland, then the

Libya/Malta Case

would be a good case for comparison whereby a tribunal would

probably employ an initial equidistant line and then calculate the proportionality

factor to shift the equidistant line to the north.

scottish independence, yep. i'm not nationalistic at all, beyond vaguely hoping andy murray wins at tennis or the kickball squad win one of them goalpoints, but it's got to be better than the alternative. it's only through scotland having some powers of its own that we've been spared the worst of the ravaging that has happened south of the border. it's too far gone, and none of the major parties have shown any real intention of reversing the damage. we'd be shot of the tories forever, and i think the SNP having achieved their dream would probably lose significance over time. by all means negotiate with scotland after that for some island privileges.

Do you genuinely think that Shetland will get a better chance of autonomy or self determination from Westminster? The same crooks who convinced the SIC to build temporary accommodation that the government would reimburse? We still have that historic debt. Great idea folks.....at least devolution has kept the bairns further education free, local authoritys protected from private outsourcing.....what makes you think that westminster give a toss about us? This just smacks of Norse tinted stupidity, its thinly veiled xenophobia and Shetland would suffer most if you got your way.

Moving Scotland and Shetland forward based upon sound reason and rational argument I'm all for.

Spouting skewed historical pish on promotional website to try and fool those who know no different is another thing entirely........

Sorry, but inaccurate historical pish? Remember this thread is all about Shetland saying no to Scottish independence.....but wants(it would seem) a form of autonomy as a crown dependency, negotiated with Westminster? A currently torry Westminster that objected to the devolution process that at least safe guarded the evil Scots and there unwilling island colonies from some of the more savage cuts? I'm simply saying that Westminster will only talk to Shetland to suit its own ends and if you think that would benefit Shetland their treatment of their own people would suggest otherwise. The idea that the big three genuinely care about Scotland (5million) nevermind Shetland whose population couldn't fill half o Murrayfield is ludicrous, they are the ones looking at Shetland and Scotland'as a cash cow. I struggle to see how an independent Scotland would harm Shetland, I'm all for reasoned debate but I can't see how spouting ludicrous anti Scottish pseudo Norse affiliation qualifies as reasoned. Im not entirely sold on independence, I need more information and hard facts....but don't accuse me of trying to mislead people who "don't know better" respect peoples intelligence and ability to rationalize a situation for themselves. I assume you saw my second name and jumped to conclusions. Don't.

Sorry, but inaccurate historical pish? Remember this thread is all about Shetland saying no to Scottish independence.....but wants(it would seem) a form of autonomy as a crown dependency, negotiated with Westminster? A currently torry Westminster that objected to the devolution process that at least safe guarded the evil Scots and there unwilling island colonies from some of the more savage cuts? I'm simply saying that Westminster will only talk to Shetland to suit its own ends and if you think that would benefit Shetland their treatment of their own people would suggest otherwise. The idea that the big three genuinely care about Scotland (5million) nevermind Shetland whose population couldn't fill half o Murrayfield is ludicrous, they are the ones looking at Shetland and Scotland'as a cash cow. I struggle to see how an independent Scotland would harm Shetland, I'm all for reasoned debate but I can't see how spouting ludicrous anti Scottish pseudo Norse affiliation qualifies as reasoned. Im not entirely sold on independence, I need more information and hard facts....but don't accuse me of trying to mislead people who "don't know better" respect peoples intelligence and ability to rationalize a situation for themselves. I assume you saw my second name and jumped to conclusions. Don't.

A bit touchy, aren't we?

When you've finished your massive leaps to conclusions, perhaps you'll be able to work out that my comments were about the published skewed waffle and fantasy surrounding the Darien escapade on the pro-Nat website.

"Psuedo Norse"? Where did you get that one from? If you are bored enough, you could trawl back through my posts and find the ones I've posted heavily criticising those who believe in some ludicrous 'return to Norway' or whatever.

Regarding your assumption about my 'assumption' regarding your last name: Get the chip off your shoulder. I couldn't give a rats backside what you are called.